Asking for extra equipment in aircraft sale

When purchasing an aircraft, is it considered “rude” or “uncouth” to ask for the “accessories” for that aircraft, if they have them (chocks, canopy covers, cowl plugs, tie down equipment, gust locks, tow bars, extra oil and oil filters, etc) in the sales agreement?

It is a bit odd how planes get sold…

Some businesses erase all history unless it is required… and clean everything out…

Some private sales the owner is no longer available…

Expect personal devices don’t go with the machine…

Realistically…  all things are negotiable.

If the seller was good about putting the ad together… he wrote down everything that comes with the plane…

If using sales pics…  everything in the pic is game… (when sold professionally)

How’s your negotiating skills?

If you are paying asking price… It is a fair question….  can you throw in the portable GPS with that?

Don’t be afraid to ask…

If there is a cover for the plane, it is ship specific, and won’t have much value when sold later on…

Don’t be afraid to have them say no… you came to buy the plane, not all the other stuff in the hangar…

The nifty headsets that cost one AMU each, that are specially wired to the panel… probably aren’t in the deal… 

But, if he is exiting aviation… he may add them for a reasonable price…

Portable devices that are not plane specific aren’t expected to go with the plane…

Ask everything up front…  what is included with the sale?

A good plane sales guy has a lagniappe he can toss in to ease closing the deal… :)

PP thoughts only, not a good plane sales guy…

Write everything down… nobody’s memory is that good…  call it a sales agreement… :)

The ultimate coup… the sale ends with enough friendship… when you have a question, the PO picks up the phone and answers…  expect that there will be something like a switch or a light that has no explanation…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

If it’s for the plane, I’d say it goes with it. Extra parts, covers, cowl plus and so on.  I would not consider the tug a part of the deal though. But, you could always ask or make a reasonable offer on it. It’s definitely not rude or uncouth to believe they go with the plane.  

I think some of that stuff makes sense, especially personalized items for the plane. Our situation was maybe unique, maybe not. The buyer flew out, did a test flight, brought an IA with him and did an abbreviated pre-buy. We loaded up everything we could fit in the plane for the new owner, oil, filters, over-water vests, cover, sun shades, he was flying back to NH from CO. We didn't have another plane lined up at the time.

I then gave a big orange tow bar to our IA. I just went back the IA two days ago and asked for the big orange tow bar back. Initial grumbling as he looked at a wall of 10 orange towers but then he gave it back to me.

Yeah, you have to get the tow bar and the POH. As odd as it might seem, they are considered part of the aircraft, they are in the weigh and balance as ArtVandelay said, and without them there can be an airworthiness issue. Anything listed in the w&b definitely needs to be there.

Often missing are the tie down bolts. Not in the w&b usually, but hard to tie the aircraft down without them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

Often missing are the tie down bolts. Not in the w&b usually, but hard to tie the aircraft down without them.

My hangar neighbor has an M20A with the wooden wings, and there are no tie-down rings.   He said you tie it down through the main landing gear.

So that's always an option if you forget the tie-down rings.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2021 at 6:37 PM, dstites said:

When purchasing an aircraft, is it considered “rude” or “uncouth” to ask for the “accessories” for that aircraft, if they have them (chocks, canopy covers, cowl plugs, tie down equipment, gust locks, tow bars, extra oil and oil filters, etc) in the sales agreement?

I think it comes down to the owner. There are some who are selling their last plane and will give you everything related (and even not related) to the plane. As others have mentioned, you can't expect to get tugs and other peripheral items, but it does happen from time to time.