Garmin Smart Glide

On 7/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, toto said:

Yeah, no retrofit though.  You have to buy a new M600 or a Cirrus Jet.

On 7/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, kpaul said:

If my wife or daughter are the ones landing the plane, somthing has gone very wrong in the left seat.  The insurance company has just bought a Mooney and the landing gear are no longer required for landing.  The plane will come to a stop shortly on a runway with no wheels extended.

^^^^ THIS!  ^^^^     

...and sorry for the diversion back into the "Family Won't Fly with Me" thread, but I'm looking for Mooney drivers to poke holes in my current thinking:

My wife likes the thought of flying to destinations and is confident enough in my skills and ADM to fly with me but is terrified that I'll take a dirt nap in the left seat.  She has taken a 'Discovery Flight' with the local Flight school (in an SR22 because it had a chute if the CFI tipped over) and has been practicing on the simulator on a long body, but doesn't like the thought of flight instruction in the Mooney with a CFI she doesn't know and trust.  (She's watched WAY too many youtube accident videos - I finally steered her to the Air Safety Institute Accident Case Studies so that she learns the how and why of the chain of events for crashes).

So I pitched a shiny new Vision Jet.   No dice.   :)

Since the chances of her using the J-Bar with her left hand while flying the plane with her right from the right seat are close to nil and the insurance company owns the plane anyway, I've instructed her to just belly land.  Her fear of that was diminished by showing the video of the two guys in the French Alps landing with the gear horn blaring.   Short field, snow field (she read DanM20C's story and we bought Sensorcon years ago - Thanks!) and cornfield would also not be a problem.  She knows the throttle, V speeds and the imperative to avoid a stall.

All of the smarts of AutoLand are already available in the boxes to make Smart Glide automagically load an RNAV and put her in a stabilized approach to a runway.   That's what I need, not brakes or throttle control.   Give me that and I'm buying into the full Garmin ecosystem today.  

Dave

Edited by Seymour
Corrected the MS handle of the Dan that keeps me safe from CO. Thanks Anthony.

Dave, @Seymour

I think your Sensorcon guy needs a spelling update… @DanM20C… :)

The other Dan is our favorite accountant… :)

While we are waiting for that next step for our right seaters…

Have you seen the ‘right seat ready’ course by Mrs. DMax and Jolie/Mooney Girl?

This is a class for people that inhabit the right seat… it is all about getting safely to the ground.  

The cool thing about GU landings…. The roll out is really naturally short… no braking required.

PP thoughts only, not a CFI…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2021 at 11:13 AM, PT20J said:

Pretty cool. Hard to find info on Garmin’s website. According to the press release Garmin isn’t charging for it 

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210721005336/en/Garmin-continues-to-enhance-aviation-safety-with-the-introduction-of-Smart-Glide

Smart Glide is expected to be available as a software upgrade at no additional charge from Garmin on compatible systems in August 2021 through the Garmin Authorized Dealer network6. The optional Garmin Smart Glide activation button is also available for a list price of $129. For additional information, visit www.garmin.com/SmartGlide or www.garmin.com/aviation.

theyre making you buy a 15000$ GTN750Xi for it.  

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

theyre making you buy a 15000$ GTN750Xi for it.  

Oh, it’s much worse than that. I’ve put >$5K into the KAP 150 in 3 years. So to get a modern, reliable autopilot, I have to buy a GFC 500. But that requires G5s or GI 275s or a G3X. Might as well go for the G3X. And, it’s only a matter of time until Garmin runs out of parts and stops supporting the GNS 430W, so might as well replace it with a GTN 650Xi. And then there’s the KMA 24 and KX 165 - might as well upgrade those too.  My goal is a reliable panel for the next ten years and this will do it. But it’s nuts to spend $80K on a $160K airplane.

Skip

• Like 2

Oh, it’s much worse than that. I’ve put >$5K into the KAP 150 in 3 years. So to get a modern, reliable autopilot, I have to buy a GFC 500. But that requires G5s or GI 275s or a G3X. Might as well go for the G3X. And, it’s only a matter of time until Garmin runs out of parts and stops supporting the GNS 430W, so might as well replace it with a GTN 650Xi. And then there’s the KMA 24 and KX 165 - might as well upgrade those too.  My goal is a reliable panel for the next ten years and this will do it. But it’s nuts to spend $80K on a $160K airplane.
Skip

You went nuts when you bought the airplane…don’t try to act sane now. ;-)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

Have you seen the ‘right seat ready’ course by Mrs. DMax and Jolie/Mooney Girl?

Sure, and we're still looking forward to a course in the Northeast sometime.    

In the meantime, she enjoys the pilotworkshop 'The Flying Companion' manual.  

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 12:38 PM, StevenL757 said:

Based on my experiences buying and trading in older Garmin equipment, you're likely to make out better financially by selling your GTN box(es) outright instead of trading them in.  Garmin doesn't seem to have embraced the "cult following" that still seems to be attached to the 430W/530W boxes, and if they did, my thoughts are that they would offer as much on trade as we're currently getting on the open market.

Plus they could still support them !

Oh wait.  There is zero incentive to do that. 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:51 AM, kortopates said:

I agree. Garmin avionics add the most appeal to new buyers as well. Its also what new pilots get trained on in the rental/school fleet. I don't have any numbers but IFD's are extremely rare compared to the GTNs; at least compared to the cockpits I've flown in. Far more IFDs discussed here on Mooneyspace than what I ever see in the wild! Although I am not a fan, I would have expected to see more than what I have seen simply because they are cheaper than replacing 430Ws with GTN's. But with one exception I've seen all the 430W replaced with GTN650's. 

Although only one data point, in over 6,500 hours of teaching I have seen exactly zero IFDs in any airplane I have done training in.