Garmin Smart Glide

Interesting video.  Garmin now has SmartGlide.  Not quite autoland, but helps you to get on the ground in case of an engine failure.  Couples with an autopilot to maintain proper airspeed, find nearest airports etc... while you have the apparent time to trouble shoot the issue.  Kind of interesting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That looks like a fantastic feature.

What does it require - a garmin autopilot?  It only mentions the garmin gtn xi series - or is that it and it can use other autopilots?

I had an enroute engine failure once - and luckily I somehow managed the situation and glided 15 miles or so to an airport I chose and made all the correct decisions and made a nice landing on the runway.  I wouldn't want to do that again, or assume I could hold it all together and pull it off again.  I would really consider getting this new garmin feature.  A computer to keep the speeds sharp and as they said, have enough attention for workload for other parts - eg trying to restart, or whatever, seems a fantastic idea.

• Like 1

Pretty cool. Hard to find info on Garmin’s website. According to the press release Garmin isn’t charging for it 

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210721005336/en/Garmin-continues-to-enhance-aviation-safety-with-the-introduction-of-Smart-Glide

Smart Glide is expected to be available as a software upgrade at no additional charge from Garmin on compatible systems in August 2021 through the Garmin Authorized Dealer network6. The optional Garmin Smart Glide activation button is also available for a list price of $129. For additional information, visit www.garmin.com/SmartGlide or www.garmin.com/aviation.

• Like 1

Very cool, and my prediction is that it will sell a lot of GTN XI upgrades! Before this significant upgrade going from the GTN to a GTN XI was more about improved resolution but this is pitting the XI upgrade in a whole new light. Although it only integrates directly with the Garmin AP's (with a Garmin PFD) , even without it, it's just a few more button pushes as best as I can tell. 

Very cool, and my prediction is that it will sell a lot of GTN XI upgrades! Before this significant upgrade going from the GTN to a GTN XI was more about improved resolution but this is pitting the XI upgrade in a whole new light. Although it only integrates directly with the Garmin AP's (with a Garmin PFD) , even without it, it's just a few more button pushes as best as I can tell. 

Garmin needs to have a “trade-in” program, like they did for old 430/530s.

7 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

+1 for this.  I hate the idea of buying a new Xi and then having to sell the GTN.  Much rather have Garmin handle it in one transaction.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, toto said:

+1 for this.  I hate the idea of buying a new Xi and then having to sell the GTN.  Much rather have Garmin handle it in one transaction.

20 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Based on my experiences buying and trading in older Garmin equipment, you're likely to make out better financially by selling your GTN box(es) outright instead of trading them in.  Garmin doesn't seem to have embraced the "cult following" that still seems to be attached to the 430W/530W boxes, and if they did, my thoughts are that they would offer as much on trade as we're currently getting on the open market.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Based on my experiences buying and trading in older Garmin equipment, you're likely to make out better financially by selling your GTN box(es) outright instead of trading them in.  Garmin doesn't seem to have embraced the "cult following" that still seems to be attached to the 430W/530W boxes, and if they did, my thoughts are that they would offer as much on trade as we're currently getting on the open market.

Why would they do that? Even car dealers don't, they usually offer wholesale, then turn around and sell for retail.

Why would they do that? Even car dealers don't, they usually offer wholesale, then turn around and sell for retail.

GTN Xis is the 1 product they have plenty of, so if you need to move a product….
Also they can do what they did with old GNS units, used them for parts and service replacements.

16 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Based on my experiences buying and trading in older Garmin equipment, you're likely to make out better financially by selling your GTN box(es) outright instead of trading them in.

Interesting. The couple of shops I talked to wanted about 5AMU for the switch, which I assume they would make up on resale. If this was a 1.5AMU “ship it off to Garmin and plug it back in” thing, I’d do it tomorrow. 

25 minutes ago, Hank said:

I know that Garmin had a promotion right after the GNS “W” units came out, and I had them upgrade a 430 with WAAS for 1.5AMU. Probably the best value I’ve ever gotten in avionics :)

That was a limited time thing, and I believe the price increased after 90 days or so. I really had hoped to see the same kind of intro offer for the GTN Xi, but alas. 

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

It only mentions the garmin gtn xi series - or is that it and it can use other autopilots?

The narration said Xi and "other compatible displays", but doesn't make it clear if that's for other navigators or PFD's.

25 minutes ago, toto said:

I know that Garmin had a promotion right after the GNS “W” units came out, and I had them upgrade a 430 with WAAS for 1.5AMU. Probably the best value I’ve ever gotten in avionics :)

That was a limited time thing, and I believe the price increased after 90 days or so. I really had hoped to see the same kind of intro offer for the GTN Xi, but alas. 

I did that, too. The $1500 was half price. Plus whatever other work they wanted to do, which drove my cost to over 4K.

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

The narration said Xi and "other compatible displays", but doesn't make it clear if that's for other navigators or PFD's.

They are clearly listed in the link Skip provided. The free "upgrade" is to the GTN Xi available in August and requires one of the compatible Garmin PFD's. I think it listed the GI-275 support first but showed others that will soon follow including the G3X, G500/600 TXi, G5 (but see the link to be sure). Plus AP automation requires either the GFC-500/600. 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I did that, too. The $1500 was half price. Plus whatever other work they wanted to do, which drove my cost to over 4K.

I did two 430's to 430W in the day at $1500 each, but did have to pay for new antenna coax and new WAAS antenna - which I don't recall the cost for. But after the promotion period ended the WAAS upgrade fee doubled. I couldn't beleive how so many people didn't take advantge of it while it was available since WAAS was game changer in so many ways.

The was the last harware upgrade that I recall Garmin ever offering. 

Well lets see i have a glide ring on foreflight now for free. But i have to hand fly or manually update my autopilot increasing my tasks while in the emergency. If i got the GNS XI i would only gain the airport callouts and auto frequency in standby. In order to get the autopilot function i would have to get also a gi275 AND a whole new autopilot gfc-500 system. Wish they woukd tie in the autopilot function from the gi-275 that coukd speak to my kfc-150 and i could see a path but looks like 40amu’s not including labor. For that price I’d want it to do autoland as well. Doesn’t garmin also offer a system that offers comfort to passengers that if the pilot becomes incapacitated, they can press a button and the airplane will land it’s self? 

1 minute ago, Will.iam said:

Doesn’t garmin also offer a system that offers comfort to passengers that if the pilot becomes incapacitated, they can press a button and the airplane will land it’s self? 

Yeah, no retrofit though.  You have to buy a new M600 or a Cirrus Jet.

21 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Sense the auto land getting closer….   :)

-a-

The nav and comms seem straightforward enough. The bit that seems really tough is the auto throttles and auto brakes. That’s one complicated install, and a very messy STC to get approved. (Although if anyone has the experience and the deep pockets to do it, it’s big G.)

Just now, toto said:

The nav and comms seem straightforward enough. The bit that seems really tough is the auto throttles and auto brakes. That’s one complicated install, and a very messy STC to get approved. (Although if anyone has the experience and the deep pockets to do it, it’s big G.)

Find Rob with the Servo driven mixture knob STC for Mooneys… Rob knows aviation servos…

Mount that on the throttle instead…

Now you are half way there!  (The important half)

:)

For the final part… I can teach my family members how to use the brakes…

Technically, my family members have all been trained… hope they can remember the details when necessary…

Sense it even closer now…

Best regards,

-a-

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

I can teach my family members how to use the brakes…

Not in most Mooneys.  No brakes on the right side.

If my wife or daughter are the ones landing the plane, somthing has gone very wrong in the left seat.  The insurance company has just bought a Mooney and the landing gear are no longer required for landing.  The plane will come to a stop shortly on a runway with no wheels extended.

• Like 4