Attitude Indicator Issues

My attitude indicator went haywire this afternoon during pre-flight and run-up. It just spins all around. This is the second time that it's done this, with the first being earlier this week. In the first instance it took almost 20 minutes for it to settle down with me taxiing around. I didn't give it 20 minutes this time, but it didn't settle back down. I think the bearings are going bad since the rest of the vacuum instruments work. Looking for recommendations on my options moving forward. Even if I get it working again, it's likely going to just go haywire once more in the near future. My annual is at the end of the month, but the mechanic isn't an avionics guy nor is there an avionics shop on the field. I attached a video of it (the video is sped up) for reference.

IMB_AhxFIc.GIF

14 hours ago, Niko182 said:

G5 AI for the win.

I'm already trying to get a GNX-375 added so I was thinking about adding a GI-275 while I'm in there. I didn't want to do it right now, but it may be the better option than overhauling or replacing the current attitude indicator.

• Like 2

Great video!

1) Preflown for the budget conscious…  see what Alan has on the shelf… Curt has an entire M20J panel that has just come to market…

2) G5 for those with a small budget…

3) GI275 for the budget to include an array of options…

4) G3X for those looking for an excuse to go all glass….  

Worn bearings are a natural tendency for mechanical instruments…. This one just gave you a reason for an upgrade…

Spending money on it to find out what is wrong, then OH it…   Kind of gets expensive fast…

How many hours did you get out of the instrument?

PP thoughts only, not an instrument guru…

Best regards,

-a-

On 7/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, LevelWing said:

Thanks, that was about what I expected. This sounds like it may be a good excuse to just upgrade and remove the vacuum system altogether. The problem is finding a shop that has availability before next year.

Place a InOp place card sticker on the AI instrument until you decide what you want to do.