Insurance Gulp!

15 hours ago, kortopates said:

What about commercial providers like WSI and SiriusXM?

We do have a private provider that feeds data via a satellite phone data link (think Iridium) - https://www.ing-golze.de/ - their stuff is pretty good, made by pilots that actually fly.

SiriusXM is limited in coverage to North America, more or less, so not applicable.

First I've heard about WSI Weather - they say they provide "worldwide coverage for $39 / month" but I don't see anything about how they provide the data, and I can't seem to be able to navigate their web site at all - just a couple ConUS thumbnails.

• Like 2

sorry to hear WSI is no longer but the writing was on the wall when Garmin stopped supporting their interface. That’s when i switched which was also when i would have to by a new receiver because they changed satellite providers.
But their big plus was they always covered more than US and Canada and i always appreciated getting Mexican METARS and TAF’s even though their isn’t NEXRAD in Mexico - just satellite images for clouds.
Now there is no competitive pressure for XM to add them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/26/2021 at 10:46 AM, PT20J said:

Paul, do you still have a subscription service? Have you compared them to FIS-B? I've heard that they might still be worth the cost, but I don't have any experience with them.

Skip

My personal airplane only has adsb wx.  My work airplane only has xm-pro subscription.  Neither does trips more than 500nm in a hop.  In my opinion, there’s not much difference in the data given.  There’s more differences in how the data is displayed between different systems.  The work airplane with g1000 can give you a snapshot picture with color coded metars, radar, lightning, etc.  Not so much on a 430w (although ipad / FF is better).  I’d spend more time working on a good wx display plan for your type of flying vs which service.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

My personal airplane only has adsb wx.  My work airplane only has xm-pro subscription.  Neither does trips more than 500nm in a hop.  In my opinion, there’s not much difference in the data given.  There’s more differences in how the data is displayed between different systems.  The work airplane with g1000 can give you a snapshot picture with color coded metars, radar, lightning, etc.  Not so much on a 430w (although ipad / FF is better).  I’d spend more time working on a good wx display plan for your type of flying vs which service.

Just my 2 cents.

Going cross country, cross country, you find much better coverage with XM than ADS-B from my experience.

The weird thing about XM weather is that on my 530W (which came installed with an XM receiver), I get weather without ever paying for a subscription.  I recall someone else mentioned this was normal, but I can't remember why.

Anyway, not going to complain about the added benefit, and it's VERY nice to get updated info on the 530 screen about TFR's.  This summer, weaving around firefighting TFR's has reminded me of Dan Brown's "Flight of the Old Dog"...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

The weird thing about XM weather is that on my 530W (which came installed with an XM receiver), I get weather without ever paying for a subscription.  I recall someone else mentioned this was normal, but I can't remember why.

Anyway, not going to complain about the added benefit, and it's VERY nice to get updated info on the 530 screen about TFR's.  This summer, weaving around firefighting TFR's has reminded me of Dan Brown's "Flight of the Old Dog"...

How far back did you purchase 99W?  Given that some people continue to pay recurring charges, is it possible the previous owner continues to pay unknowingly?  ASAIK it's normal to pay a subscription fee for XM service on the 4/530W.

2 hours ago, neilpilot said:

How far back did you purchase 99W?  Given that some people continue to pay recurring charges, is it possible the previous owner continues to pay unknowingly?  ASAIK it's normal to pay a subscription fee for XM service on the 4/530W.

The previous owner passed away shortly after I bought the plane, as far as I can tell (he had sold it to AAA and they had it for a year or so, I think), so I suspect not...

I don't get XM Radio or music or anything (I think the info page says "Navigator Lite") or something like that. 

52 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

The previous owner passed away shortly after I bought the plane, as far as I can tell (he had sold it to AAA and they had it for a year or so, I think), so I suspect not...

I don't get XM Radio or music or anything (I think the info page says "Navigator Lite") or something like that. 

I don't really know all that much about XM, but I did subscribe to the Aviator product for a decade or so.... They only periodically send out configuration data, so it can take a long time for new provisioning to reach your radio.

I suspect that it's possible to skate by for a while with service that's technically disconnected if you just never have it turned on during their config bursts. 

Wait a minute….   The act of writing the question about how thread drift works… earned more thread drift….   :)

Three pages…

Three months…

and a well beaten topic…

For which we have a resource for all things insurance related…. That is continuously up to date…

Thread drift is a human challenge…

If the the topic is fresh, the questions haven’t been answered, or the topic is so serious…. Thread drift isn’t usually appreciated….

Keep in mind, our moderator doesn’t clean up around here….  So all MSers have to do their part…

PP thoughts only, not a web site guy…

Best regards,

-a-

Some threads are maintained by their OP…

In this case Curt was asking a personal question about his insurance rate going up….

As he was probably unaware of the global insurance issues…. At the time of his new thread.

The result…. This thread came to a conclusion with an explanation of why Curt is seeing the same thing other people are…

Drift, hijacked, dead… a great place to leave a comment….

For other more pertinent threads on the insurance topic….

Try one of these….

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?&q=Insurance&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

Ask the OP if he cares that his thread continues to live on…

Most threads don’t have a final post…

Best regards,

-a-