Crazy To Buy?

Brianj

Hello all

Ive been researching airplanes for about three years now and I’m finally ready to seriously consider buying. I think I’ve fallen in love with the Mooney even though I’ve never flown one or even seen one in real life that I recall. I think the Mooney fits my personality well and my use case would be to fly over the mountains regularly so the turbo and fuel economy of the M20K is very enticing. I’ve never owned before but I can foresee myself flying for fun or convenience for quite a few years.

Am I crazy to consider buying a Mooney straight away? Should I consider a cheaper, simpler plane for a first purchase and time building?

Im hoping to get a few opinions to help my research or mention things I might not have thought about. Or maybe just tell me it’s a great idea and I should just go for it

Brian

My Mooney is the first and only plane I've ever owned. So no, you're not crazy to consider a Mooney as your first airplane. They are great airplanes and I've never regretted the purchase.

Steve

• Like 2

My current use would be to visit the girlfriend who now lives about a 13 hour drive (4 hr flight) on the other side of the mountains. Having a plane would make it feasible to fly down every other weekend or so, plus trips to weekend vacation spots which would mean 100-200 hours per year probably for at least the first few years. Typical load would just be two adults, maybe three if I take some friends out.

Insurance is one cost that worries me since I’m a low time airplane guy but I have plenty of helicopter time so could hopefully catch a break on that. And I do have research tax costs on my to do list. I’ll likely be buying in the EU so it’ll be interesting at least to figure sales/use taxes.

Brian

When I got tired of the hassles with renting I bought a M20K-231. After the 10 hrs of training I felt comfortable and have never regretted my purchase. I can fly as slow as a 172 or as fast as a Mooney, all the time using less fuel than the 172. They say money can’t buy happiness. But money can buy a Mooney which can bring happiness. Maybe you shouldn't show this to your girlfriend or my wife!

1 hour ago, Brianj said:

My current use would be to visit the girlfriend who now lives about a 13 hour drive (4 hr flight) on the other side of the mountains. Having a plane would make it feasible to fly down every other weekend or so, plus trips to weekend vacation spots which would mean 100-200 hours per year probably for at least the first few years. Typical load would just be two adults, maybe three if I take some friends out.

Insurance is one cost that worries me since I’m a low time airplane guy but I have plenty of helicopter time so could hopefully catch a break on that. And I do have research tax costs on my to do list. I’ll likely be buying in the EU so it’ll be interesting at least to figure sales/use taxes.

Brian

If you’re in the EU, you might look into owning as a US registered airplane.  Many people do including a number of people here.

Clarence

I was going to jump in a make a few mad as I assumed you were a brand new PP with just 172 time or whatever, and a complex aircraft right off the the bat is often too much for someone when they go somewhere busy and get a little overwhelmed by ATC etc.

But you have a lot of helicopter time, so you have flight time and flying is flying, and a helicopter is sort of a complex aircraft, it also tells me that money may not be as big an object as it is for several as fling wings aren’t cheap. So buying at the top of the market may not be worth waiting a year when I assume the buying spree will be over

I assume you have your Instrument rating? If not get is as soon as you can, maybe in your new Mooney as most are often the best instrument pilots right after training and familiarity in their airplane is priceless.

5 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

If you’re in the EU, you might look into owning as a US registered airplane.  Many people do including a number of people here.

Clarence

I believe depending on where you are, N number airplanes retain greater value, but have to be maintained by a US A&P/ IA? 

Also may make your pilots license easier as if it’s a US registered airplane, your US license is good.

‘I ferried back the Cayman Islands Ag plane years ago and as it was a Cayman registered aircraft, they had to issue me a Cayman Island license as my US one wasn’t recognized

Welcome aboard Brian…

What you want to do is remove the secrecy about about your experience, and what you are trying to accomplish…

Yes, MS is on the internet… but it is full of real people with real experience…

The more you hide, the less benefit you get from the conversation…

Flying an M20K opens all of the possibilities of the GA world to the pilot.

With all that power… comes great responsibility…  for yourself…

Having the machinery to fly across the Alps is good…. Start planning on building your experience tool box…

Let’s invite @Urs_Wildermuth to the conversation… he flys a Mooney in Switzerland… And is around here often…

Around here… we have plenty of European pilots, K pilots, helicopter pilots…

Lift the veil, get to your next level…

There is so much to know… a lot of it is around here somewhere…  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

et’s invite @Urs_Wildermuth to the conversation… he flys a Mooney in Switzerland… And is around here often…

Hello, ok, I am here. Based LSZH, M20C.

Hello Brian, yes, I agree with @carusoam in order to give proper advice we need to know a bit more.

If you are in Europe, at least insurance won't be a problem, if not cheap but at least you'll get it.

12 hours ago, Brianj said:

My current use would be to visit the girlfriend who now lives about a 13 hour drive (4 hr flight) on the other side of the mountains.

It would be helpful to know which the route is you wish to fly, at least region to region. If we are talking Europe, you are talking Alps and crossing those regularly and IFR a Turbo Mooney (preferrably FIKI) would be the lowest denominator I'd even consider. But it depends very strongly on the actual route.

Your helo time will cetainly help but you will need fixed wing experience to attempt regular alpine crossings, even in a turbo airplane. Given the route structure and regulated route availability, it will be vital to really check out the options here.

So let us know a bit more and we can talk.

• Like 1