Oshkosh any tips for the lone arriver?

Will.iam

Well I didn’t make the formation training class a priority and to a certain extent did not think i would get time off to go. Now i find that i could come up the 25 - 28 although if my wife and daughter come i would probably come up the 25 and go leave the evening of the 26 after the airshow or the morning of the 27th. The last time i went to oshkosh i was my daughter’s age which was 10 so i had no clue about the proceedures. I just remember getting a big styrofoam glider and camping under the wing. I don’t even remember if it was hot or cool when we slept. Now with this being my first time as a grownup I don’t know how well my daughter and wife will tolerate the event or should i go alone so i have some time to look at all the goodies at the booths that can make my plane better without the restroom breaks, I’m hungry, and I’m bored issues to deal with. 
any tips for those that bring little ones and wives that look forward to airplane stuff like i do shopping for jewlery to help them have a good time would be greatly appreciated. 
also any lessons learned or gleamed that hasn’t been disclosed the the 32 page notams? Like is it better to leave in the morning? Or after the show. If i understand the notams correctly the 25 has no airshow so shouldn’t the airport be open to arrivals all day until 8pm? Where as the 26 arrival i would have to plan around the airshow from 2:30 to 6:30 in the afternoon right? Do any of y’all fly up to an airport close by and stay at a hotel and then fly in?  Do you buy gas there or tanker gas in? Thanks in advance for any advice given. 

I’ve tankered a little gas to get an hour down range on departure. I like being as light as I can on the grass with an aftish CG. 
Ive had good luck with staging an hour or so out on the way into the convention. That way one really knows their fuel situation. Each year a few airplanes are lost due to fuel starvation. 
Sunscreen and credit cards. You won’t see a quarter of the items if just staying one day. But one day should be enough for the fam if they are not into it. 
Have Fun,

-Matt

There are dedicated programs for non-pilot women, play areas and crafts for children, and amazing sights to see, including the seaplane base, the colorful ultralights, the crazy bins of stuff for sale at the fly market, the (air-conditioned!) EAA museum, the evening programs at the Theater in the Woods. The night air show will have them captivated. The regular afternoon air show maybe not so much. Build in down time for the littles. Arrange central meeting places with spouse at times-certain to trade off. Let the kids collect a little swag at the exhibits, pick out a  t-shirt or toy each, decide where to go next.. Don’t expect to see and do everything or keep up a hard-core aviator’s pace. It’ll be fun (she said). 

• Like 1

Don't sweat the details (except flying the aircraft in).  You're memory of the "fun" is probably what your 10 year old will remember when she grows up.

I started bringing my kids along when they could potty and shower themselves.   About 6 yrs old.  I've always done it without my wife as we've always had another younger kid that stayed home with her...time will change that in a few years.

If W&B allow I'd bring lots of water bottles (instead of paying an arm & leg)....or something large you can refill and bring back to your campsite.  Kids overheat easier than adults...and don't always speak up or know what's happening until the fall over.   A few familiar snacks are a good idea too...you can never have enough Cheese Its for any age ;-)

In terms of activities KidVenture has always been a hit, especially the hangar where they walk around to a dozen or so different activities including making things like you remember.   The liked some of the vendors that had cheep airplane stuff and even the flee market.    ...of course that's between the air shows....that's the big event for any age...bring ear plugs.

Other than that just hanging out with as few screens as possible...maybe some downtime to watch a movie/YouTube or something once a day.

As for what your wife will like....I'll let you know when I figure out my own ;-)   Just kidding...she might like some of the seminars to learn a little more about flying...especially if she is interested or just wants to feel more comfortable in the airplane.

PM me if you want to ask more.  My kids won't be with me this year ;-( they have camp....so I'm bringing my nephew instead...he's 17...I guess no KidVenture this year.

• Like 1

My only advice, which worked well at SnF (no Osh yet . . . .):

• Havea second set of eyes beside you
  • Print the NOTAM out, highlight the relevant details (landmarks, speed, altitudes, turns, radio frequencies, etc.), staple it like a book and have it in your lap, turning pages as you go
  • Be prepared for the unexpected 
  • Fly at least once with your rightseater before the trip, so they are familiar with your plane, seating position, visibility and how you do things. 

And have fun!!!!

• Like 1

Here's a few videos from prior years.  Give you an idea of the landing and arrival process.  I was PIC on both.  (FYI, the video speed is groundspeed, not airspeed, you've got to keep it right at 90 kts, the altitude is also inaccurate).

The Assh*** in the high wing cutting under me was real nice.

EAA has some good videos for the new arrival process with additional convergence points.

• Like 1

Good tips by all. 90kts is ground speed? I thought it was 90kts indicated, but much easier to read a digital gps than my analog airspeed indicator i guess. Went up today to practice 90kts indicated and holy smokes that is right at my gear up horn beeper clean. Was a little better with 10 d flaps rolled in. Have not tried the gear down power setting yet. Do y’all fly fisk inbound with gear down or drop the gear once abeam field?  Seems like your dragging the gear for awhile if at fisk. 

Oh my those guys are way more patient, i would have just said land at any other airport and print out the notams as you are not prepared and it’s a safety of flight issue to tie up the frequency because you didn’t remember to bring the notams.