'67 M20E brake reservoir leveling

Hi guys,

After successfully pushing brake fluid up from both calipers and seeing clean fluid come out of the vent, how do you remove the excess fluid from the reservoir?

I have the reservoir in the cabin, above pedals and the vent valve is in engine compartment. The side valve on the reservoir which should allow me to remove the excess fluid is inaccessible. I can see it, but can't stick a wrench in there...

Anyone had the same problem?

Thanks...

Use a syringe to bring the level down or bleed it out (2 person job) by applying slight pressure to one of the brakes and opening that bleeder, close the bleeder before the pedal hits the bottom of the stroke (while there is still flow)

Thanks guys.

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

use a clean drinking straw and my thumb

I tried inserting the thinnest zip tie I have in my stash to use it like a dipstick. It doesn't go past the valve. Didn't want to insert safety wire because it could scratch the insides... 

"slight pressure to one of the brakes"

Why must you tap the brakes to bleed it out from the bottom? It oozes down anyway.

5 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

Thanks guys.

I tried inserting the thinnest zip tie I have in my stash to use it like a dipstick. It doesn't go past the valve. Didn't want to insert safety wire because it could scratch the insides... 

Why must you tap the brakes to bleed it out from the bottom? It oozes down anyway.

What year is your E? The reservoir changed over the years. It reads like you pushed fluid out of the vent line and are facing a mess if you remove the the filler cap. Next time thread an AN elbow fitting to filler hole with a tube and catch can. If I were you, I would just bleed 3 or 4 oz from one side. The reason you want it under pressure is so that no air enters the caliper..

1 minute ago, N201MKTurbo said:

If you take off the panel in front of the windshield you should have easy access to the reservoir.

It has the new style windshield... The windshield comes flush with firewall. On the inside, I can remove the top dash, but my hand doesn't reach down there. I'd need like 3 elbows or flexible bones...

Just now, FlyingDude said:

It has the new style windshield... The windshield comes flush with firewall. On the inside, I can remove the top dash, but my hand doesn't reach down there. I'd need like 3 elbows or flexible bones...

Bummer. You don't even have the tiny little access panels?

12 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

What year is your E? The reservoir changed over the years. It reads like you pushed fluid out of the vent line and are facing a mess if you remove the the filler cap. Next time thread an AN elbow fitting to filler hole with a tube and catch can. If I were you, I would just bleed 3 or 4 oz from one side. The reason you want it under pressure is so that no air enters the caliper..

Didn't make a mess... At the vent part. Made a huge mess at the caliper level :P

pushed so much fluid through because the fluid on old hoses was very dark, almost black. So wanted to replenish it 

PXL_20210716_003811228.jpg

PXL_20210716_003803833.jpg

10 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Bummer. You don't even have the tiny little access panels?

No :(

12 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

If I were you, I would just bleed 3 or 4 oz from one side. The reason you want it under pressure is so that no air enters the caliper

Total of 6-8oz seems too much. That's about 200-240ml. The reservoir is about 2" =5cm in diameter (2.5cm in radius) and the side valve is like 2 cm below the top. 2.5^2*pi*2=40cm3 =40ml~1.5oz...

Makes sense why you tap brake. Thanks.

Honestly pushing from the bottom was likely not ideal. It’s a common misconception. You push from the bottom to remove air but suck from the bottom to force out old coagulated fluid. The danger is some of that old crud May interfere with the tiny valves in the masters.  

1 minute ago, RobertGary1 said:

Honestly pushing from the bottom was likely not ideal. It’s a common misconception. You push from the bottom to remove air but suck from the bottom to force out old coagulated fluid. The danger is some of that old crud May interfere with the tiny valves in the masters.  

I don't know how you could suck out any gunk from that tiny little bleed nipple under the caliper... Wouldn't it just get stuck in there?

Just now, FlyingDude said:

I don't know how you could suck out any gunk from that tiny little bleed nipple under the caliper... Wouldn't it just get stuck in there?

Sometimes. Sometimes I’ll take the bleed nipple off and pump the brakes to push it out. It comes out like jello. You can roll it around in your hand. Nasty old stuff 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

Gotcha. How do you keep replenishing fresh fluid until the system from the top while doing this without introducing air bubbles?

Thanks.

I just make sure it never runs dry. Once you open the giant can you might as well use it all. :)

8 hours ago, Igor_U said:

So what is that valve on the firewall? Break fluid reservoir valve? It's not in the Parts catalog for my plane. 

Looks like a modification to give access to a factory reservoir that is no longe accessible from the top panel due to windshield mod. This is why they moved the reservoir on the J models.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FlyingDude said:

It ensures air doesn’t get it the system

On 7/16/2021 at 2:10 PM, RobertGary1 said:

It’s not a misconception. Hydraulic fluid is heavier than air. It is much easier to push air bubbles up to the reservoir than it is to push them down to the caliper. Bleeding and flushing are not the same thing. If the system is flushed properly, air is never introduced into the system.

5 hours ago, Shadrach said:

It’s not a misconception. Hydraulic fluid is heavier than air. It is much easier to push air bubbles up to the reservoir than it is to push them down to the caliper. Bleeding and flushing are not the same thing. If the system is flushed properly, air is never introduced into the system.

We’re saying the same thing. Too many people flush pushing up and get clumpy goo in the master.