Looking for pirep for Surefly on IO550

Time is coming up on the mags on my IO550G and have decided to look into the surefly system.  Most of the information I have seen is dated and seems there have been some challenges.  My question is, have the challenges been fixed by surefly and is it as good as we all hope?  Most of the information I have found have been for the Lycoming 4's and not the Continental 6's.  Any information will be a big help in my decision making process.

I'd wait a few more months for the newer version to ship with integrated power regulator. It'll work fine now though as long as the service bulletin is installed with it with power regulator and capacitor - this issue is only for the 24V systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I'd wait a few more months for the newer version to ship with integrated power regulator. It'll work fine now though as long as the service bulletin is installed with it with power regulator and capacitor - this issue is only for the 24V systems.

Hi Paul, on a somewhat related topic, any thoughts you are willing to share on choosing one Slick Mag and one EIS vs two Slick Mags installed by Lycoming on a factory rebuilt IO-360-A3B6?
Thanks -Hank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Wayne Cease said:

There are a lot of good reviews on COPA for the SureFly on SR22s. Many are hoping for a new STC that will allow for dual SureFly units.

Wayne

I was not aware of a dual SureFly installation.  I do know that EMag is working on a dual electronic ignition installation with a pie in the sky hope for next spring sometime.  Their system is different in that each EMag has a built in alternator to supply its own power as long as the engine is rotating above some minimum speed.  I want to say 600 RPM, but don't quote me.  You only need the battery to start.

As for COPA, yes, people are reporting problems with the SureFly if they do not install the power regulator/conditioner. Works great once the regulator is installed. Interestingly, even though the Lycoming electronic ignition is a rebranded SureFly, Lycoming does not offer the regulator that is needed for 24 volt systems.  And since the label says Lycoming, SureFly cannot sell you their regulator for use with a Lycoming ignition system.  They can only sell it for the SureFly system.

9 hours ago, Mufflerbearing said:

Time is coming up on the mags on my IO550G and have decided to look into the surefly system.  Most of the information I have seen is dated and seems there have been some challenges.  My question is, have the challenges been fixed by surefly and is it as good as we all hope?  Most of the information I have found have been for the Lycoming 4's and not the Continental 6's.  Any information will be a big help in my decision making process.

I discussed the same with my IA about a year ago, and honestly, I'm passing on it altogether.  In addition to previous issues the SureFlys have had, there's really nothing I'd gain for the money spent on a single Surefly that I can't get with a good pair of reman'ed Bendix mags.  Maybe I've been fortunate, but I have yet to experience a problem with Bendix mags on 3 engines across 2 different aircraft.

Hi Paul, on a somewhat related topic, any thoughts you are willing to share on choosing one Slick Mag and one EIS vs two Slick Mags installed by Lycoming on a factory rebuilt IO-360-A3B6?
Thanks -Hank

If it's still under warranty, you’re either stuck with what you have already or would be limited the Lycoming EIS - which is still okay if you have a 14V system. Otherwise i’d stay clear of the Lycoming EIS for now till they provide a solution for the 24V systems as Surefly has done.

• Like 3

There is a pirep for the Lycoming version EIS around here…

Has a known Surefly problem, but lags the actual SureFly solution…

For the IO550… there is another manufacturer for an electronic mag…. A Brazilian MSer had tried it, with excessive effort to get it to work properly… with no luck…

It takes some form of intestinal fortitude to hang an engine mod on a plane engine… :)

I would need green lights from a few MSers with the same engine before I would be able to think about it…

Watching Lycoming go down the road of selling somebody else’s product looks very similar to Mooney’s experience with the G1000 system… always a couple of steps behind…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

If it's still under warranty, you’re either stuck with what you have already or would be limited the Lycoming EIS - which is still okay if you have a 14V system. Otherwise i’d stay clear of the Lycoming EIS for now till they provide a solution for the 24V systems as Surefly has done.

Thanks Paul, the rebuilt engine and Mag/EIS configuration are being delivered from the factory under warranty to replace what i have. The install is 14V, so it appears i should avoid the issues some have reported with 24V installations.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the Surefly installed on my Ovation about 8 weeks ago.

My experience so far: 

1) starting is as smooth or even a little better but not a game changer for me

2) 50 LOP FF dropped about 1-1.5 gph

3)  overall CHTs are up by 10-20 degrees; #5 is up more but that may be a baffling issue.

Hope this helps!

Robert

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robert C. said:

Just had the Surefly installed on my Ovation about 8 weeks ago.

My experience so far: 

1) starting is as smooth or even a little better but not a game changer for me

2) 50 LOP FF dropped about 1-1.5 gph

3)  overall CHTs are up by 10-20 degrees; #5 is up more but that may be a baffling issue.

Hope this helps!

Robert

Robert,

Why did you make the change to Surefly?  What was your decision making process? 

Did you have an IA install the system or did you do it yourself?  What installation problems did you encounter and how long did it take?  Did you route the wires through the cabin or underneath through the belly?  Did you go with static timing or variable?  What is your timing set at?

On 7/15/2021 at 8:13 AM, Mufflerbearing said:

surefly is fine.  get the power conditioner and all is well.  

@Mufflerbearing I had 2 mags up for their 500hr inspection and an Annual coming due. I’d heard good things about the benefits of EIs so I decide to do some homework.

it wasn’t any one thing that tipped me over into going ahead but the sum total. Better hot starts (to be confirmed), better/lower LOP ops (confirmed), lower maintenance cost (no more 500hr inspections). Add to that that my Ovation would be in annual with panels and seats out, etc. so that it would be a more cost efficient install and I decided to treat myself (also added the Landing Height System while the panels were off).

I had my A/P do it during the annual; a lot safer and quicker than me tinkering :D

• Like 4