SAL12-70 HARTZELL GENERATOR CONVERSION KIT

Hartzell is the new owner of the plane power line… of alternators…. (?)

Have a look around here… there are thousands of them…

When going from generator to alternator, expect to swap out the old voltage regulator…

Look up the Zeftronics VR that goes with that…

Expect to use some new cowl seals around the alternator…   @GEE-BEE AEROPRODUCTS has a set for that too I think…

What does the PF muffler have to do with the alternator/generator? Volumetric spacing?

PP thoughts only… not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

I just installed it on my F with no powerflow exhaust but I can’t see how alternator would interfere with it.

Kit comes with its VR (and brackets) so no Zef VR is needed. 
I had to modify front right baffle by increasing and moving pulley hole. 
you might by a new round seal retainer from LASAR  ($5) and rivet new nutplates as needed. This increased my useful load by 7lb and it charges the battery at 1000 rpm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 1:25 AM, Igor_U said:

I just installed it on my F with no powerflow exhaust but I can’t see how alternator would interfere with it.

Kit comes with its VR (and brackets) so no Zef VR is needed. 
I had to modify front right baffle by increasing and moving pulley hole. 
you might by a new round seal retainer from LASAR  ($5) and rivet new nutplates as needed. This increased my useful load by 7lb and it charges the battery at 1000 rpm.

I find my gen with a Zef VR is charging (just barely) at just over 1000rpm. When did your old gen come on line?

Don't wait. Hartzell just put a massive price increase into effect last month. Since they now own most of the alternator & starter market, in conjunction with raw materials price increases, the price of an average starter went from $600 to $835 in one month. Expect alternators to do the same.

19 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I find my gen with a Zef VR is charging (just barely) at just over 1000rpm. When did your old gen come on line?

Not sure, let say 1200. It was quite noticeable with landing light on and such but I had original Delco Remy regulator, not Zef. I used the opportunity of installing a rebuilt engine to get and install alternator kit.

19 hours ago, philiplane said:

Don't wait. Hartzell just put a massive price increase into effect last month. Since they now own most of the alternator & starter market, in conjunction with raw materials price increases, the price of an average starter went from $600 to $835 in one month. Expect alternators to do the same.

You are probably right. Hartzell owners bought Dawley aviation (Exhaust rebuilt and welding) and promptly closing it and moved all the ops to AWI. I was late with sending my exhaust for OH and was forwarded to AWI - they did a good job but at much higher price.

Did they buy Startec? I probably missed that news...

8 hours ago, Igor_U said:

You are probably right. Hartzell owners bought Dawley aviation (Exhaust rebuilt and welding) and promptly closing it and moved all the ops to AWI. I was late with sending my exhaust for OH and was forwarded to AWI - they did a good job but at much higher price.

Did they buy Startec? I probably missed that news...

If by Startech you mean Skytech, yes…that acquisition took place many years ago. That being said, Hartzle provided excellent service on a starter that I sent back to them. It only needed a sheer pin. It was still working just a bit slow. After describing the symptoms, their guy insisted it should be sent back…so I did. He was baffled that the thing had worked for so long with a broken sheer pin.