planning VFR x-country flight in this crazy summer weather

What else could possibly be added here…

1) VFR only is better than not being able to fly…

2) Flying early in the morning is the best way to avoid the nasty weather that is sure to arise as earth warms…

3) IFR training is really helpful to get to know weather products…. Find the big Hs on the weather chart and use them to your advantage…

4) know the winds circulate clockwise around the big H….

5) College age kids have to put up with a lot of crap for the next four years…. Bouncing around in light turbulence is easy compared to where they are going….  :)

6) being skilled with your IFR weather learnings…. Find the altitudes where the bumps stop….  Something to do with cloud bases…

7) Since somebody mentioned Weather Spork… a great weather product….  Let’s see if @Scott Dennstaedt, PhD can give some insight for a VFR pilot, working on the  IR, planning a long X-country…

8) Some kids can be more avid aviators than their parents…

9) Depending on where you are…. In Texas, the thunderstorms can be very visible….  In the NE… our thunderstorms are nicely imbedded in a low cloud coverage…. Making them harder to avoid…

10) Important to remember…. As a VFR pilot nearing IFR…

• Do not run out of gas…
  • Do not run into IMC…
  • Do not run into thunderstorms…
  • Do not run into icing conditions…
  • Have a Plan B for all of these… U-turn is a good one… shallow banks…

11) If you actively avoid these…. The outcome will be quite positive!  :)

What schools are on the travel menu?

What are they interested in studying?

Go Mooney Kids!

Children are the future…  teach them well… let them lead the way… - Whitney

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, JWJR said:

If it was just you going I would say go ahead and fly this trip and get going very early each am assuming no major weather systems on the route. However I would not put my daughter through what may well turn out to be a whole lot of aggravation and delays if you have a hard schedule to meet. My advice is take the airlines and continue your ifr training. If your going to launch on a long VFR x/country with limited experience you should go solo or with a pilot with more experience. If you do go and have to put down for weather delays make the most of it wherever you stop. Museums,local points of interest and sights to see could make for nice memories with your daughter. Enjoy your trip and be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a good thing is that we have flexibility… so in this case, this might be a trek rather than a focused trip. Friday morning college tour can be moved to Monday morning, I can work remotely for a few days. And she does not mind flying. The fall trips will be more challenging.

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Let’s see if @Scott Dennstaedt, PhD can give some insight for a VFR pilot, working on the  IR, planning a long X-country…

Good timing here Jim...

I just published my latest video with some tips for summertime preflight planning using my progressive web app, EZWxBrief.  Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

What else could possibly be added here…

1) VFR only is better than not being able to fly…

2) Flying early in the morning is the best way to avoid the nasty weather that is sure to arise as earth warms…

3) IFR training is really helpful to get to know weather products…. Find the big Hs on the weather chart and use them to your advantage…

4) know the winds circulate clockwise around the big H….

5) College age kids have to put up with a lot of crap for the next four years…. Bouncing around in light turbulence is easy compared to where they are going….  :)

6) being skilled with your IFR weather learnings…. Find the altitudes where the bumps stop….  Something to do with cloud bases…

7) Since somebody mentioned Weather Spork… a great weather product….  Let’s see if @Scott Dennstaedt, PhD can give some insight for a VFR pilot, working on the  IR, planning a long X-country…

8) Some kids can be more avid aviators than their parents…

9) Depending on where you are…. In Texas, the thunderstorms can be very visible….  In the NE… our thunderstorms are nicely imbedded in a low cloud coverage…. Making them harder to avoid…

10) Important to remember…. As a VFR pilot nearing IFR…

• Do not run out of gas…
  • Do not run into IMC…
  • Do not run into thunderstorms…
  • Do not run into icing conditions…
  • Have a Plan B for all of these… U-turn is a good one… shallow banks…

11) If you actively avoid these…. The outcome will be quite positive!  :)

What schools are on the travel menu?

What are they interested in studying?

Go Mooney Kids!

Children are the future…  teach them well… let them lead the way… - Whitney

Best regards,

-a-

I’m being told that we are looking at pre-med :D with preference for family doctor or pediatrician. 

The schools to visit:

• Franciscan
  • Creighton
  • University of Florida
  • Vanderbilt
  • LSU

and a few local ones that will drive to: UT, A&M, Baylor

I hope the list is pretty much final. Staying in the south (weather) and ability to play volleyball (even if its club) will have influence. 

A first time to navigate this, so learning as we go :D

• Like 1

We probably have MSers that have gone to these schools…

We have MSers that have gone pre-med as well… and post med too.

See if @TGreen has any input… (flying to visit colleges)

I think his child is in the second year of school already….  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The problem is that you have a schedule and a passenger you don't want to disappoint.  What will you do if the visibility slowly deteriorates? You're a bit uncomfortable but pressing on. Its MVFR. And then you can't see through the haze? Or you have to duck under or over a cloud? Things can fall apart quick. I would definately go expecting the possibility of two or three days each way, or more, if I were by myself.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, carusoam said:

We probably have MSers that have gone to these schools…

We have MSers that have gone pre-med as well… and post med too.

See if @TGreen has any input… (flying to visit colleges)

I think his child is in the second year of school already….  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Didn't fly to visit, but did fly coast-to-coast to drop my son off at college. Great experience but that is one where you have to get where you are supposed to when you are supposed to. So a continuously viable plan B is always necessary.

• Like 2

flight day - 2 :) 

It looks like it is a go, good weather forecast (big picture) and WX from FF. I might be unique this way, but I really like the FF WX feature.

If needed, on Thursday, I will head more north first before heading NE. The plane is ready - tanks filled up, extra oil quarts packed.

Here is what I’m looking at right now, will make final decision tomorrow.

Flight to Ohio (Thursday)

573AF97A-F9BF-4952-AE5E-5338DAB39E37.jpeg

3A3C2E75-FA31-4361-9639-80175F549B8B.jpeg

CC64CB4C-BD8A-4390-9DF4-02E717F3C6FC.jpeg

41517A5F-0471-4FC4-95D9-AB2623592A76.jpeg

Flight back home (Monday)

317A5F23-9B6C-4A77-91F8-875C61A8950E.jpeg

280D050D-398C-46A9-B87C-0FEB7828EE4E.jpeg

EB2237E7-BA40-4116-95F3-02F86A9C7585.jpeg019E4C17-E06E-42F6-B65C-3C7F0FA07967.jpeg

On 7/14/2021 at 12:29 AM, dominikos said:

I’m being told that we are looking at pre-med :D with preference for family doctor or pediatrician. 

The schools to visit:

• Franciscan
  • Creighton
  • University of Florida
  • Vanderbilt
  • LSU

and a few local ones that will drive to: UT, A&M, Baylor

I hope the list is pretty much final. Staying in the south (weather) and ability to play volleyball (even if its club) will have influence. 

A first time to navigate this, so learning as we go :D

She should get residency in and go to school in Ohio.  More medical schools per capita than any other state.  I like Vanderbilt better than any of those other schools listed, but I'm not the one going.  She'll have to keep her nose to the grindstone, she'll need good grades to get into a medical program. That and money, lots and lots of money.

27 minutes ago, steingar said:

She should get residency in and go to school in Ohio.  More medical schools per capita than any other state.  I like Vanderbilt better than any of those other schools listed, but I'm not the one going.  She'll have to keep her nose to the grindstone, she'll need good grades to get into a medical program. That and money, lots and lots of money.

My brother in law graduated dental school and it was less than the price of a new Mooney!

• Haha 1

Check the visibility’s along the route carefully. I’m in Pittsburgh and it has been extremely hazy due to smoke from Canadian fires the last few days …anyway it looks as though it was pushed south with the cold front passage mid day today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to close this thread with thanks for all the advices. The flight went well. The weather cooperated. On the way back, I had to work around the weather, but with FF WX and fuel prices. And I was prepared to work with departure dates as needed.

Here is a brief note about the flight: 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, PeteMc said:

Congratz on getting some mileage in your logbook!  So where are you planning your next XC to?  Maybe up to the NW (it's not always smokey like it is now.)

No plans yet, most likely Florida around Thanksgiving, dropping plane for some panel tweaks. but still work in progress.