New Sensorcon AV8 CO Detector

Sensorcon is donating a few of these for the raffle at the Mooney Summit VIII once again this year. Thanks Sensorcon. @DanM20C, do you know how many they have sold approximately using the discount code they gave you to give to us bug smashers? Last I heard, it was close to 1000. Great product, and as you have pontificated, a real life saver for not much more than a couple of decent bottles of wine.

• Like 2

Let me put it another way. Is there any reason for those of us who have the original sensorcon to want or need to switch to the aviation version? Or is it just a more aviation friendly wrapper to help market it in aviation stores?

I think they charge about $50 to recalibrate the older units, and thats just under half of what a new one with the Aviation sticker would cost, plus you have one to give to a friend :)

Now, if the label were to have a Mooney on it, available only at MSC's, it might be closer to $500

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, 201er said:

Let me put it another way. Is there any reason for those of us who have the original sensorcon to want or need to switch to the aviation version? Or is it just a more aviation friendly wrapper to help market it in aviation stores?

Mike, its just an aviation friendly wrapper. No need to switch. 

Sensorcon is making a real effort to be more visible in aviation.  I think this is a good thing, they will start being more visible in places like Airventure, SNF, etc... 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

do you know how many they have sold approximately using the discount code they gave you to give to us bug smashers? Last I heard, it was close to 1000

Last I had heard it was just over 1000.  It's slowed down a little. 

Dan

5 minutes ago, 59Moonster said:

According to the brochure it also comes with a mount.

That does look different.    That might be a really nice feature that does differentiate it from the normal units.    Many of us are using velcro to hold them to the panel, so an actual mount might be nice.

7 hours ago, 59Moonster said:

According to the brochure it also comes with a mount.

I wonder if the mount is available separately, and compatible with existing units?

I'd guess they made an Aviation unit because they sold so freaking many of them with the Pilot discount code. Thanks, @DanM20C! (even if you now have a powerful turbo bird  :P )

• Like 1

Just now, Hank said:

I wonder if the mount is available separately, and compatible with existing units?

I'd guess they made an Aviation unit because they sold so freaking many of them with the Pilot discount code. Thanks, @DanM20C! (even if you now have a powerful turbo bird  :P )

Hank, the mount is compatible with the other units.  They originally sent me one that was 3d printed and it didn't work very well.  The production one is injected molded and works very well.  Holds it firm but removes easily.  My only grip is it has 4 mounting holes and I think that is a little overboard.  I'm currently still using velcro but in the next few months I'll be installing a new panel and the AV8or will have a permanent home on the new mount. 

I will forever miss my C.  That plane was awesome.  But I do love the K, once you go turbo......:)   Unfortunately though, I have been spoiled with plenty of time in all Mooneys right up through the M20V.  The further down the alphabet you go it just gets better and better.    

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, DanM20C said:

I'm currently still using velcro but in the next few months I'll be installing a new panel and the AV8or will have a permanent home on the new mount. 

They got FAA approval for a permanently mounted version??

40 minutes ago, 201er said:

They got FAA approval for a permanently mounted version??

No, it’s just a mount that the detector’s clip slides into. So technically only the mount is permanent.  No need to be FAA approved, just A&P approved.

Cheers,

Dan

4 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

No, it’s just a mount that the detector’s clip slides into. So technically only the mount is permanent.  No need to be FAA approved, just A&P approved.

Cheers,

Dan

Nice! Is there a link for the mounts out existing units go into?