As a C owner, this caught my attention.

Mooneymite

Barnstormers.com

1963 MOONEY M20C • $100,000 • RARE OPPORTUNITY • Look at this panel!! 63C N6723U ~5700TT ~1350SMOH Chuck Ney ~200SPOH Three blade prop Damage history - one gear up Single piece belly All LAZAR speed mods Paint 7/10 Interior 6/10 Mechanically excellent condition Good compression Low oil burn and good analysis GMA345 GTX345 GNC255 GTN650 STEC 50-2 Electric trim 2xG5 JPI 930 Upgraded panel LED lights inside and out (excellent night airplane) Strobes replaced beacon Owned by doctor and A&P last ten years, he sold to buy twin. I bought it less than a year ago because of panel. My second M20C. Selling to buy twin. $100K. Accepting offers. • Contact Jeff Swartwood , Owner - located Woodruff, SC United States  Telephone: 864-243-1862 • Posted July 11, 2021 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Images

Id say its probably about 15 to 20k high. Most people dont understand how much it really costs for upgrades. The engine monitor alone indtalled is 10k give or take. Gtn650, gtr225, gtx345, and audio panel os another 25ish. G5's another 10. It adds up.

I know it's a seller's market, but $100,000 is a hard ask. I suppose that gives me hope should I ever sell mine.

Since my J has almost the same avionics, I be curious if this sells and if it does my J is worth more than $200k. My interior and exterior is 10/10 and 200 SMOH.

Nothing surprises me anymore. The market has really turned in the last two years. This certainly is a nice example and may, for the right person, be the one buy and fly airplane they are looking for.

Actually, it is quite motivating to see this. 3-4 years ago, a plane like this would have maybe fetched half of that. My panel does not have an engine analyzer but Aspen and STEC 55x as well as WAAS 430 and some other stuff and when I was considering selling 2-3 years ago, I got duff offers of 20-30k, so I kept it. Valuations have gone way up and imho more  where they belong than before.

Were I in the market and had that level of coin I would certainly consider it.  It costs far more than that to upgrade an aircraft to that standard.  Bob Belville's aircraft was in that league, and it was an E instead of a C.  Still went for 6 figures.  That said, I'd be ready to do lots of good old fashioned haggling...

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I would be very interested in hearing a psychologist explain why we as a group of Mooney owners are always so eager to devalue someone else’s Mooney.  There must be a fascinating explanation for it.  

Nobody is devaluing it. Only discussing a realistic value because some of us, aren’t insane. 

I have a pretty nice C with a full glass cockpit, low time engine, and excellently maintained.  I’d say on it’s best day it’s worth 75k

I think this is a great example of what can be done to an older aircraft.  As long as the airframe and engine are sound there are going to be people willing to pour their resources into making it the best it can be.

Is it worth the asking price?  We'll have to see what the market says.  "Willing seller, willing buyer".

My C is nowhere near equipped like this one appears to be.  Just adding up the avionics  in round numbers, the cost to up-grade would quickly double what I have in my C.  To make myself feel better about my "more basic C", I tell myself that my airplane can go into all the same places and fly to the same minimums as this tricked out C.

Everyone has to pick their own level of enhancements.  As the ad says, "Rare opportunity".  Indeed.

Edited by Mooneymite

4 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I don't know how long you've been a member here, Chris, but historically we as a community are very critical of other peoples' Mooneys for sale.  I wasn't really expressing an opinion about either the value or the asking price of this particular airplane as much as I was pointing out this phenomenon.  I do find this very interesting, as purely logically, but as a layman, I would have expected the exact opposite to be the case.  

I have never cared much about how much any of the airplanes I have owned were worth, personally.  I care even less, though, about the value of someone else's airplane that I am not even in the market for. 

Then why are you in this thread that was created seemingly to discuss this airplane and it’s price?

I don’t know how long you’ve been here, but typically discussions have topics of conversation, and this one is the pricing and value of this airplane. 

An airplane, like a house or car, is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Sometimes this can be a surprisingly low number (as we all found out in 2008-2009); sometimes it is a surprisingly high number (which lead directly to the sale of my rental property in 2019).

Sometimes the reason for the valuation can be easily determined, sometimes not. When it is unusually high or low, and the reason isn't obvious, expect discussions to start.

3 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

My C is nowhere near equipped like this one appears to be.  Just adding up the avionics  in round numbers, the cost to up-grade would quickly double what I have in my C.  To make myself feel better about my "more basic C", I tell myself that my airplane can go into all the same places and fly to the same minimums as this tricked out C.

c'mon Gus, get that darn paint job already.  :lol:

There are examples here of much nicer IFR panels in a C here on Mooneyspace. Many have seen Oscars videos flying in CENAM sporting Triple Aspens and double GTNs panel in his electric gear C. Pesonally I can't applaud enough the owners here who really improve their steads duing their limited ownership years. Its great for fleet as a whole. People getting into aviation today via club rentals expect to see modern avionics in there panels too - those are the most popular rentals here. At the club I teach out of, the majority of the C172's have a pair of G5's with GTN650 and many now have a GFC-500 AP too.  Do you think they'd want to upgrade to a faster M20C with original gyros panel and PC system? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbridges said:

c'mon Gus, get that darn paint job already.  :lol:

Walmart is supposed to have a sale on rattle can paint in a couple of weeks, I'm going to try to save 10%.  :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kortopates said:

There are examples here of much nicer IFR panels in a C here on Mooneyspace. Many have seen Oscars videos flying in CENAM sporting Triple Aspens and double GTNs panel in his electric gear C. Pesonally I can't applaud enough the owners here who really improve their steads duing their limited ownership years. Its great for fleet as a whole. People getting into aviation today via club rentals expect to see modern avionics in there panels too - those are the most popular rentals here. At the club I teach out of, the majority of the C172's have a pair of G5's with GTN650 and many now have a GFC-500 AP too.  Do you think they'd want to upgrade to a faster M20C with original gyros panel and PC system? 

Unfortunately, being economically up-side down is all too common in the Mooney world.  Sure, it's great to have a million dollar panel in a $40K airplane, but it defies logic. 

Just now, Mooneymite said:

Unfortunately, being economically up-side down is all too common in the Mooney world.  Sure, it's great to have a million dollar panel in a $40K airplane, but it defies logic. 

Not really.  Take your Mooney and put in a a couple hundred grand worth of restoration and improvements.  You'll have a heck on an airplane, and it'll probably seem brand new. A new airplane will cost well north of a million dollars.  Yes, you'll likely loose your shirt at sale, but if you buy new you'll loose even more to depreciation.

There’s your mistake, airplane ownership is not about logic, it’s about passion.
The only reason needed to have a fancy panel is: you want it.
You can’t take with you, if you have the money to spend I don’t see a problem.
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

If that’s the way you look at airplane ownership, it’s pretty tough to be involved at all.  They don’t really appreciate (maybe in this market?), but you have to spend $10-20,000 / year just to hold the value (annual, insurance, hangar, fuel to keep it flying, etc).  You’re pretty much guaranteed to be out loads of cash as an airplane owner, but sliding  open the hangar door, rolling out your own airplane, and going wherever/whenever you choose defies economics.  

As you said, you can go all the same places with a less expensive panel, but for many of us it’s not about making it pencil out.

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

If that’s the way you look at airplane ownership, it’s pretty tough to be involved at all.  They don’t really appreciate (maybe in this market?), but you have to spend $10-20,000 / year just to hold the value (annual, insurance, hangar, fuel to keep it flying, etc).  You’re pretty much guaranteed to be out loads of cash as an airplane owner, but sliding  open the hangar door, rolling out your own airplane, and going wherever/whenever you choose defies economics.  

As you said, you can go all the same places with a less expensive panel, but for many of us it’s not about making it pencil out.

Oh, believe me.  I get it.

I have airline passes on three different airlines and from a financial perspective a little airplane makes absolutely NO SENSE.  However I own not just one money pit...I own 2 money pits, a 50 X 50 hangar and cannot rationally justify what I spend on my passion.  We only differ on what we, individually, consider "rational"....on any given day.  :ph34r:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find out what's in all those Aircraft Spruce boxes on my front porch.....that I have to hide from my wife.  :wacko:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3