Garmin G-5 vs UAvionics AV-30-C

bucko

AI just went belly up and have a loaner in the plane now.

Have looked at both the G-5 and the AV-30-C.  Prices are comparable for the Garmin as an AI only unit, but the UAvionics does a lot more (up to 12 functions, connects to legacy S-Tec 30 autopilots,like mine, etc).

Interested in finding out how people made the final decision on which to buy and how you are liking your choice. 

Installation costs for either unit?

Most any comments would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

There are plenty of happy G5 owners…

There are many happy GI275 owners…

There are more and more Uavionix users…. Specially if you are not in the big G club…

One challenge is knowing what else is needed with each box to do all the additional things…

The only real outstanding complaint comes with the Uavionics device…. It has a sensorless AOA display that is unable to function without a sensor…

So… if you want your AI to connect to your existing AP… make sure you know what is needed…

If you have the budget… many of these devices are getting installed in pairs… a nice way to add GPSS to drive your AP…

PP thoughts only…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Personally I’d add the gi275 to your consideration, no panel cutting involved.

I really like my G5s.  I’d much rather have them then an av30.  The av30 has worked for some, but quite a few folks here have had issues with it precessing a lot.  Possibly they’ve fixed it by now but not inspiring confidence.

Edited by Ragsf15e

Take a good, hard look at your future instrumentation.  Sometime (maybe even fairly soon) you’re going to replace your DG for an electronic HSI.  Whatever you do now should be laying the groundwork for your future panel.

I have dual G5s and I love them.  They work together and are everything I need (and more).  The 275 is tempting, but for 95% of the time, they’d be doing exactly what my G5s do and I sorta prefer the slightly larger screen on the G5.  I love the look of the AV30 AI and HSI, but paired with a Garmin navigator the G5s easily made the most sense.

• Like 4

Not sure what you have for an HSI/DG right now but keep in mind you will eventually want to upgrade it as well and the AV-30 HSI does not have a glide slope and it's a GPS HSI (not magnetic).

My plan is to start with adding a primary GI275 AI (keeping the vacuum AI as stby) and eventually replace the HSI with another 275 down the road. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bucko said:

AI just went belly up and have a loaner in the plane now.

Thanks in advance.

I've done G5 installation while waiting for rebuilt engine.  I really like the unit and it can be installed by your A&P in lieu of authorized Garmin dealer  with can reduce the cost. Mine is recessed which required new panel but if you have enough room, you can just install into the existing 3.125" hole.

Regards,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

I believe that GI 275s would let you keep your current A/P and give you the option to switch to a GFC 500 in the future if needed. You could install one GI 275 now and put in a second (HSI) later.

Skip

G5 also does that as he has an STEC rate based.  Either g5 or gi275 works.

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Like 1

I have the AV-30C in my M20J. It's been great so far. The looks are just so much better than the G5. Having this big square jutting out of your panel looks awful compared to the sleek circular design of the AV-30. You can get the GI 275's if you want to compete with the looks, but it'll cost you (literally) thousands more to achieve the same functionality. The only benefit of the G5 is that it has a glideslope built in. I'm still clinging to the hope that a software upgrade could add that function to the AV-30, but it's not likely. No matter though, I have a CDI slaved to the GPS for glideslope anyway. As far as connectivity with an autopilot goes...I don't know...my autopilot doesn't work well. 

8 hours ago, Flyman2456 said:

My plan is to start with adding a primary GI275 AI (keeping the vacuum AI as stby) and eventually replace the HSI with another 275 down the road. 

Good call on the GI275 over the G5.  The added cost over the G5 is well-worth the money.

I'm questioning why you'd want to keep the vacuum-driven mechanical ADI.  With an electric ADI, you can remove the vacuum system altogether and save the weight.  Unless you need to keep the vacuum system for your speed brakes, I'd recommend going all-electric.

When ADS-B was mandated, I swapped my old Garmin 150 for a GNX375. It (sort of) drove my STEC40 autopilot, but really didn't wake up until I added a pair of G5's. The GI 275s were tempting, but not worth the added cost for the functionality I was looking for. I really just wanted the reliability/redundancy of having two digital ADIs (HSI display can be switched), an HSI vs DG (HSI is slaved to the GPS), and GPSS for the autopilot. Yes, they aren't the most aesthetic, but sitting in the pilot seat you don't notice it. Flush mounting would have required a ton of extra labor and relocation of gauges and switches. If I could give one gripe, I wish Garmin would approve the expanded HSI scale that the experimental version has, but overall am very happy with the functionality the G5 installation gave me. I also added the GAD13 (using the Davtron temp probe) for TAS and wind speed/vector. I also saved a few pounds by removing my vacuum system and my oil filter is much easier to get to. Win-win.

29 minutes ago, Seth1001 said:

I have the AV-30C in my M20J. It's been great so far. The looks are just so much better than the G5. Having this big square jutting out of your panel looks awful compared to the sleek circular design of the AV-30. You can get the GI 275's if you want to compete with the looks, but it'll cost you (literally) thousands more to achieve the same functionality. The only benefit of the G5 is that it has a glideslope built in. I'm still clinging to the hope that a software upgrade could add that function to the AV-30, but it's not likely. No matter though, I have a CDI slaved to the GPS for glideslope anyway. As far as connectivity with an autopilot goes...I don't know...my autopilot doesn't work well. 

Have you flown IMC yet with the -30’s and relied on them purely for reference? I’ve had two for several months now and still would not trust the AI for actual instrument work. The roll function lags. They have limited my -C to VFR only until I figure out what to replace with.

1 hour ago, Teddsgotwings said:

gi275 would let you keep current AP. A g5 would render some AP functions inop. I was deciding between g5 vs gi275 last month and went 275 so I could keep my century IIB AP for now. 

I don’t think this is true for the OP.  He has an stec 30 AP like me.  It doesn’t rely on attitude input like kap, kfc, century APs.  It’s rate based off his turn coordinator.  Anyway, it only needs a heading input and/or gpss which the G5s can provide.  My G5s drive my STEC flawlessly.  You are correct that the gi275s are required for attitude based autopilots though.

5 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Good call on the GI275 over the G5.  The added cost over the G5 is well-worth the money.

I'm questioning why you'd want to keep the vacuum-driven mechanical ADI.  With an electric ADI, you can remove the vacuum system altogether and save the weight.  Unless you need to keep the vacuum system for your speed brakes, I'd recommend going all-electric.

With only one GI275, I want a stby AI and I need the vacuum for the hsi. So keeping the vacuum for right now and will transition to electric eventually. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 3:30 PM, Jakes Simmons said:

Have you flown IMC yet with the -30’s and relied on them purely for reference? I’ve had two for several months now and still would not trust the AI for actual instrument work. The roll function lags. They have limited my -C to VFR only until I figure out what to replace with.

No, I still have my vacuum driven systems as well. That being said, I've never flown into IMC with my plane. I live in the southwest so opportunities for that are few and far between. I would trust the ADI function though. It's fairly responsive and doesn't lag too bad. The HSI function, however....that thing tends to drift pretty hard when it's in compass card mode. If I have it slaved to the GPS track though, it's golden. So it's not a perfect instrument. I just appreciate the redundancy I have now for a pretty good price.

• 4 months later...

Any update from some AV-30 owners? Attempting to IFR my 64' M20C, and am starting from essentially zero. The AV-30C seems to have functions well beyond that of a G5, and the 275 is a little out of budget. There's a great deal right now on 2 AV-30's for $4000 plus a $400 rebate

May set up the aircraft with 2 AV-30s and a  GNC 355 for GPS/Comm (no RNAV)

Also may go 430W but its aging, however that would provide gps + comm + nav

Real question is - would you trust only having those AV-30's and removing vacuum instruments in IMC

TIA. Regards,

SG

27 minutes ago, Shep.G said:

Any update from some AV-30 owners? Attempting to IFR my 64' M20C, and am starting from essentially zero. The AV-30C seems to have functions well beyond that of a G5, and the 275 is a little out of budget. There's a great deal right now on 2 AV-30's for $4000 plus a $400 rebate

May set up the aircraft with 2 AV-30s and a  GNC 355 for GPS/Comm (no RNAV)

Also may go 430W but its aging, however that would provide gps + comm + nav

Real question is - would you trust only having those AV-30's and removing vacuum instruments in IMC

TIA. Regards,

SG

One thing to check is if AV-30s can drive an autopilot yet, and if so, what kinds?  I know they said it would in the future but hadn’t heard that they finished it.  G5s work well with stec autopilots but not ones that require attitude based input.  Gi-275s work for most types of AP.

I use dual G5s, stec 30 AP, and a gns430w.  It’s been awesome.

31 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

One thing to check is if AV-30s can drive an autopilot yet, and if so, what kinds?  I know they said it would in the future but hadn’t heard that they finished it.  G5s work well with stec autopilots but not ones that require attitude based input.  Gi-275s work for most types of AP.

I use dual G5s, stec 30 AP, and a gns430w.  It’s been awesome.

My M20C doesn't have autopilot though, so I'll be doing IFR without it.

My instructor's cherokee has your exact setup, watched him shoot RNAV and GPS approaches. But that setup is also like $5k more to replicate.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 5:30 PM, Jakes Simmons said:

I have the AV-30-C as my primary attitude indicator and a g5 as the HSI. I have flown the plane in IFR with no issues.