Want a chrome spinner

M20 Ogler

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I didn't think plating was allowed. Polished aluminum looks pretty good. Send it out for strip and polish, then maintain with California Gold.

20150110_155116.thumb.jpg.ea4c04b74a57f8e5803fc763f5b61403.jpg

It’s my understanding that it’s not.

Having said that, there is a person that sets up shop every year at Sun-N-Fun displaying chromed spinners, he says if it’s done improperly it can cause cracks, but done properly it won’t. It may be the one referenced above.

The spinners we used to order to be painted were satin finished or sanded finished, be a lot of work to polish, but can be done I’m sure.

On edit, this popped up in a Google search

https://www.aviationperformanceproducts.com/chrome-it.cfm

Edited by A64Pilot

There are hundreds of polished spinners around here…

Wait to see if anyone says they have a chromed one…

Why are you asking about getting a chromed spinner…?

The hardened surface might add some value…

But, if shiny mirrored finish is what you like….

100:1 have gone polished for that.

PP thoughts only, just a guess mostly… Mine is polished aluminum.

Best regards,

-a-

4 minutes ago, icurnmedic said:

Not to hijack the thread, but , I have a polished spinner and polished two blade prop. I’ve been told that when it needs overhauled that I can no longer have a polished prop. Any one know if there is any truth to this? 
Thomas

There is some logic that follows that….

Its around here somewhere…

The tough prop questions go to @Cody Stallings Cody is the resident MS prop guy.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

That’s correct, Both Manufacturers that produce props for Mooneys require that the propeller be Prepped an painted IAW the Manufacturers Overhaul Manual.

I have even seen a few local A&P’s refuse to sign off an annual because of a polished propeller.

As far as chrome plated spinners, Not a good idea.

Spinners are polished or Painted.

An there is no guidance published by the manufacturer showing how it should be done. Now, there are shops out there that will chrome a plastic truck stop fork an that’s great. Just not a spinner. I have seen a few that had been chromed an the prop is usually hell to balance an the stuff seems to chip an peel off rather prematurely  

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Cody Stallings said:

That’s correct, Both Manufacturers that produce props for Mooneys require that the propeller be Prepped an painted IAW the Manufacturers Overhaul Manual.

I have even seen a few local A&P’s refuse to sign off an annual because of a polished propeller.

As far as chrome plated spinners, Not a good idea.

Spinners are polished or Painted.

An there is no guidance published by the manufacturer showing how it should be done. Now, there are shops out there that will chrome a plastic truck stop fork an that’s great. Just not a spinner. I have seen a few that had been chromed an the prop is usually hell to balance an the stuff seems to chip an peel off rather prematurely  

Perhaps you could show those A&P’s the part number for an optional polished prop spinner.

Clarence

I believe he is saying polished prop, polished props are a no go, spinners are fine. 

Only one prop manufacturer allows their prop to be polished and I believe that’s Hamilton Standard, but I may be wrong on both accounts.

‘But Hartzell and McCauley require their props to be painted as a corrosion preventative 

You can polish aluminum to your blue in the face and it won’t be near as shiny as chrome.

‘My spinner is painted, it came that way and I’m way to lazy to polish it, my Maule had a polished spinner, and it was more work keeping it looking good than I would have though it would be.

Of course chrome would be very little work. 

Edited by A64Pilot

I think Hartzell part numbers just add a (P) for polished on the end of the part number and maybe an (S) for the one to be painted?

If someone bought me an airplane to Annual with a polished prop, I’d advise them that I’m afraid it would have to be painted and if that’s a problem maybe they need to find another IA. You don’t really have any other choice.

But I see a lot of polished props at fly ins, especially on older simpler airplanes, so somebody’s signing them off.

Edited by A64Pilot

It's also possible that a polished prop will get flagged during a ramp inspection since they're pretty obvious and it's a known thing that they're not approved for polishing on certificated aircraft.

Generally steel propeller blades can be polished, but those are typically very large propellers and not something you'd find on a Mooney.   Hamilton Standard does say in original (i.e., WWII-era) documentation that some of their large aluminum propellers can be polished, but none of those are used on Mooneys, either.

• Like 1

I had my spinner chromed on my 1988 J, at my annual at a MSC center, I was told it wasn’t allowed nor would they sign it off. I then purchased another spinner, lesson learned look before you leap.