Wanted to buy: Mooney M20 J / K / F

hunter78

Hi all - hope you are well!

I am in the market for a Mooney M20 J, K or F -- depending on particulars I could go with any of these variants. Really just depends on the individual plane. I was in contract on a K until last week, I backed out after the pre-buy due to engine issues. So, I figured I would post an ad here in case anyone has one to sell or knows of one. I am in Oregon, but location doesn't matter. Looking for a solid plane, not looking for a project -- prefer avionics that have mostly been upgraded, engine monitor, well-maintained with regular maintenance, low to mid time engine (as long as it has been flown regularly). Not looking for anything that has been sitting for a long time (unless it is priced accordingly, and even then...). I don't care much about cosmetics or interior condition. Obviously no corrosion. Looking for something that is solid and well cared for. I have a solid budget and am not looking to waste anyone's time. Feel free to message me about anything available.

Thanks --

Welcome aboard Hunter…

You may consider editing the title with… Want to buy… or searching for…

As in you are still looking…

The edit menu is up by the thread title… only available to you as the OP.

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 11:23 PM, hunter78 said:

Hi all - hope you are well!

I am in the market for a Mooney M20 J, K or F -- depending on particulars I could go with any of these variants. Really just depends on the individual plane. I was in contract on a K until last week, I backed out after the pre-buy due to engine issues. So, I figured I would post an ad here in case anyone has one to sell or knows of one. I am in Oregon, but location doesn't matter. Looking for a solid plane, not looking for a project -- prefer avionics that have mostly been upgraded, engine monitor, well-maintained with regular maintenance, low to mid time engine (as long as it has been flown regularly). Not looking for anything that has been sitting for a long time (unless it is priced accordingly, and even then...). I don't care much about cosmetics or interior condition. Obviously no corrosion. Looking for something that is solid and well cared for. I have a solid budget and am not looking to waste anyone's time. Feel free to message me about anything available.

Thanks --

I have a 1975 Mooney M20F with 5709 TT and 207 SMOH (done in 2017). She is IFR certified, interior just redone, exterior paint 8/10, Brand new Avidyne 540, JPI 830, Hartzell Prop, Narco DME, Garmin GTX 345, electric trim, Stec 50 autopilot and a new cover. She needs nothing ... $115K

• Like 3

On 7/21/2021 at 10:26 PM, kortopates said:

yeah no way with engine ~44 years since new. Personally it’s run out IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/21/2021 at 7:26 PM, Fookz92 said:

With a fresh top and flying regularly with  being on a SOAP.
No worries. Your loss. 

3 hours ago, hunter78 said:

I’m still in the market - went into contract twice so far, both had significant engine problems revealed during pre-buy…basically needed new engines.

So, ping me if you have something or know of something.

Thanks!

That's exactly the kind of plane I would look for.  A NDH airframe with a clean panel and a run out engine needing overhaul.  Fly it home and send it straight to the engine overhaul shop.   If you see any good J's airframes at a good price, please let folks know.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hunter78 said:

I’m still in the market - went into contract twice so far, both had significant engine problems revealed during pre-buy…basically needed new engines.

So, ping me if you have something or know of something.

Thanks!

make a flight aware account and every time you look for an aircraft type in the tail number. It's free and it'll show you the flight history for the last 3 months. I will guarantee the ones that are flown regularly and have more than 20 to 25 hours in the last 3 months won't have engine issues to anywhere near the extent of needing a new engine.

Edited by Niko182
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Htmlkid said:

I have a 1975 Mooney M20F with 5709 TT and 207 SMOH (done in 2017). She is IFR certified, interior just redone, exterior paint 8/10, Brand new Avidyne 540, JPI 830, Hartzell Prop, Narco DME, Garmin GTX 345, electric trim, Stec 50 autopilot and a new cover. She needs nothing ... $115K

I PM'd you

19 hours ago, Niko182 said:

I will guarantee the ones that are flown regularly and have more than 20 to 25 hours in the last 3 months won't have engine issues to anywhere near the extent of needing a new engine.

Hope you're investing in an insurance policy for making promises like this!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Robert,

That’s worthy of its own thread!

Membership is required to start a thread in the for sale section…

Smallest donation is 0.010 AMU…

It will be seen by everyone looking to purchase a Mooney…

Let’s see if @hunter78 is still in the hunt….

PP thoughts only, not a web site sales guy…

Best regards,

-a-

On 8/3/2021 at 11:26 PM, rcwagner said:

Just put my 201 up for sale.  It's a good one, flow over a 100 hours per year.

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1678485-1978-Mooney-M20J-201-IFR.html?catid=20590

Nice plane, but 8.5 gallons per minute for 163 mph seems excessive...

I’m thinking of putting my J up for sale to shop for a bravo.  Very unique J.  IO 390 installed in April of this year.  Equipped as follows: 

2000TT/all logs/no damage history 

50 since factory reman IO390

50 since new hartzell top prop 

Avidyne IFD 550

LYNX NGT transponder

PS Engineering 450B audio panel.

new airforms powder coated baffles

New engine control cables 

new knisley exhaust 

plane power alternator 

lightweight starter 

engine mount overhauled at engine change 

oil cooler overhauled 

all new Teflon non life limited hoses 

Whelen LED wingtip and tail strobe, wired in sync 

Whelen LED landing light 

2900 gross weight 

precise flight speed brakes installed at august 2021 annual at a Mooney service center.

Reiff turbo XP preheat

surefly magneto with power conditioner 

turn key.  I’m sure I’m forgetting something 

B17E9D3B-A6AE-46F3-8941-7437A65ABCF6.jpeg

98A0EDD8-C264-4091-BBF5-FD89D6D2F397.jpeg

4130771D-068A-420A-9DA6-1AC2C0A17714.jpeg

9AEE35B9-36B2-4D54-8980-620B6B150755.jpeg

Edited by bmcconnaha

8 hours ago, bmcconnaha said:

I’m thinking of putting my J up for sale to shop for a bravo.  Very unique J.  IO 390 installed in April of this year.  Equipped as follows: 

Avidyne IFD 550

LYNX NGT transponder

new knisley exhaust 

plane power alternator 

lightweight starter 

oil cooler overhauled 

Whelen LED landing light 

2900 gross weight 

precise flight speed brakes installed at august 2021 annual at a Mooney service center.

Reiff turbo XP preheat

If you decide to put a price on it, please let us know. I'm considering selling my F to upgrade to newer J.  Didn't realize you could upgrade to the 390 in the Mooney.  

1 hour ago, DCarlton said:

If you decide to put a price on it, please let us know. I'm considering selling my F to upgrade to newer J.  Didn't realize you could upgrade to the 390 in the Mooney.  

I’ll probably get some opinions on the values here on MS and from a couple of the main Mooney brokers.  All American figured it would fetch in that 180k range.  I don’t know if that is high or low.  I probably won’t sell it for less than that.  Unfortunately I am into it much more than that, but like all airplanes, you don’t get 100 percent return on your investments.  It’s slated to go to aero comfort in October, and I have already paid half of his fee for a complete executive interior.  If i don’t sell it before then, I’ll either keep it or assess the values then with a brand new interior and market it. 

Edited by bmcconnaha
No idea where the large text came from

47 minutes ago, bmcconnaha said:

I’ll probably get some opinions on the values here on MS and from a couple of the main Mooney brokers.  All American figured it would fetch in that 180k range.  I don’t know if that is high or low.  I probably won’t sell it for less than that.  Unfortunately I am into it much more than that, but like all airplanes, you don’t get 100 percent return on your investments.  It’s slated to go to aero comfort in October, and I have already paid half of his fee for a complete executive interior.  If i don’t sell it before then, I’ll either keep it or assess the values then with a brand new interior and market it. 

Just need to find a buyer that believes, with all things considered, that the late model J, with the Lyc engine and mid length body, is the pinnacle of all the Mooney designs.  

20 hours ago, bmcconnaha said:

Avidyne IFD 550

LYNX NGT transponder

new knisley exhaust 

plane power alternator 

lightweight starter 

oil cooler overhauled 

Whelen LED landing light 

2900 gross weight 

Reiff turbo XP preheat

Please make sure the new owner is contractually obligated to continue providing IO-390/prop updates! :D

• Like 1