Autopilot update

The Brittain PC in my M20C went a couple years ago and although it might be serviceable I am considering upgrading to something a little bit more elaborate that will hold an altitude and course.  Searching here I've seen the odd post about a couple companies getting close to providing something but, perhaps in laziness, I am looking for a list of my options including all of the equipment one would need.

21 minutes ago, DrQuinn said:

The Brittain PC in my M20C went a couple years ago and although it might be serviceable I am considering upgrading to something a little bit more elaborate that will hold an altitude and course.  Searching here I've seen the odd post about a couple companies getting close to providing something but, perhaps in laziness, I am looking for a list of my options including all of the equipment one would need.

Answer remains simple - Garmin GFC500 is the ONLY reasonable option at the moment for an all new autopilot install in a C (~20k all in)- any new install of far inferior, older generation autopilots will cost as much or more.  Trutrak is a solid performing ~8k option (bought and rebadged Aerocruze 100 by Bendix) and is supposed to be STC'd for the C model this year, but Bendix is notoriously, laughably unreliable in their time estimates

Edited by DXB

38 minutes ago, DXB said:

Answer remains simple - Garmin GFC500 is the ONLY reasonable option at the moment for an all new autopilot install in a C (~20k all in)- 

The GFC 500 is good for the C models except for the 1962-1964.  They are still working on those, according to their website, so depending on what year model you have it may or may not work right now.  But they do say they are working on it.

45 minutes ago, Hank said:

Dining is also working on the Mooney STC.

Aka "Dynon" ;)  - Per Dynon website, it's last in line after Bonanzas, 182s, and Barons that are also part of their current STC effort.  Also their website says "Dynon's M20J demonstrator aircraft represents “mid-body” M20F-M20K airplanes, and models within this group are the most likely to be approved in this project. The M20-M20E “short-body” airplanes are similar; it may be possible to approve some of these in this project as well."  I wouldn't hold your breath for a short body approval anytime soon.

[mention=12908]DXB[/mention], I'm not holding my breath for any AP approval soon. Nor am I going to replace my entire panel to be able to.install and use Garmin's.

You don’t have to replace the whole panel to us a GFC 500. You need a G5, the GFC500 and a GNS 430/530 or newer navigator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, DrQuinn said:

The only option currently is a Garmin gfc500.  It’s really nice.  You will need a g5 or gi275 or to control it as well.  I’m pretty sure you also need the control head.

It has options for 2, 3 or 4 servos depending on what you want- yaw damper, auto trim, are optional.

Good luck!

Just now, Ragsf15e said:

The only option currently is a Garmin gfc500.  It’s really nice.  You will need a g5 or gi275 or to control it as well.  I’m pretty sure you also need the control head.

It has options for 2, 3 or 4 servos depending on what you want- yaw damper, auto trim, are optional.

Good luck!

The control head is part of the package/installation but it is just the control to select the different modes, heading bug, altitude bug, etc. The G5/GI275 is what drives the GFC500.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrQuinn said:

Au contraire.  Not the only reasonable option. 

If you have a working PC system and find the elusive BI-805 control valve for Brittain Accutrak and/or Accuflite system and add Brittain altitude hold, you can have essentially a 3-axis autopilot for considerably less.  It takes patience though.   Word is Brittain will open for business someday in the not too distant future as a repair shop.  Maybe they will sell refurbished gear.

On 7/6/2021 at 4:19 PM, N9405V said:

You don’t have to replace the whole panel to us a GFC 500. You need a G5, the GFC500 and a GNS 430/530 or newer navigator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You actually only have to have one G5 and the GFC500. You won't have very many of the lateral functions(ground track and wing level)  but you would have most of the vertical functions (vertical speed, altitude preselect, IAS climb, altitude hold). Add a GMU 11 and you would get Heading. 

On 7/6/2021 at 8:26 AM, Greg Ellis said:

The GFC 500 is good for the C models except for the 1962-1964.  They are still working on those, according to their website, so depending on what year model you have it may or may not work right now.  But they do say they are working on it.

The GFC500 is as 7-7-21 certified for

• Mooney M20
    • Models: C, D, E, F, G, J, K, M, R, S (including 1962-1964 C, D and E Models)
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stanton R said:

The GFC500 is as 7-7-21 certified for

• Mooney M20
    • Models: C, D, E, F, G, J, K, M, R, S (including 1962-1964 C, D and E Models)

Yep.  That just came out yesterday after I posted what I did the day before.  I found out about it, funny enough, while I was at my avionics shop, yesterday, talking to my installer.  The message came across his phone while we were talking.

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 11:59 AM, DXB said:

Aka "Dynon" ;)  - Per Dynon website, it's last in line after Bonanzas, 182s, and Barons that are also part of their current STC effort.  Also their website says "Dynon's M20J demonstrator aircraft represents “mid-body” M20F-M20K airplanes, and models within this group are the most likely to be approved in this project. The M20-M20E “short-body” airplanes are similar; it may be possible to approve some of these in this project as well."  I wouldn't hold your breath for a short body approval anytime soon.

The Garmin demonstrator was a J and that covered the Short bodies minus the earlier models. 

We Dynon panel people are hoping the same happens for us…. I have a 67C

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 10:24 AM, chriscalandro said:

The Garmin demonstrator was a J and that covered the Short bodies minus the earlier models. 

That is incorrect.  Garmin owns a J.  It was used to certify the Js.

My M20F was used to certify the Fs and Gs

Another MS aircraft was used for the Es and an additional E was used for the 62-64 year models.

Garmin uses loaned aircraft to certify their APs.  They have multiple hangars full of aircraft undergoing certification.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 9:33 PM, carusoam said:

Big G has done a great job of executing the GFC roll out for the family of Mooneys…

Best regards,

-a-

I would like to agree with you but since mine is an earlier model, it looks like it has been cut (possibly permanently) from them even attempting to certify my model :(

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 59Moonster said:

I would like to agree with you but since mine is an earlier model, it looks like it has been cut (possibly permanently) from them even attempting to certify my model :(

Seems to be some discrepancy between this post and Skates97 2 above or are we talking wood wing earlier?  That I could believe  

Looks like two Mooneys are not included on the list…

M20A and M20B…

If interested in buying a GFC500 for these birds…. Now would be the time to let your voice be heard.

Big G has covered nearly all of the Mooneys.  

I’m surprised the M2OB crowd has been so quiet… they are incredibly similar to the early M20Cs… often get updates to their rudder throw to match the M20C…

Best regards,

-a-

If I recall correctly, at one time the A and B models were listed on Garmin's website of models to be certified in the near future when the early C, D, E models were still in the works.  Now they have been completely removed from the website.  Makes me think Garmin is done with the Mooney line.