1965 E Doghouse

2 minutes ago, JayM said:

I am trying to find somewhere to purchase some doghouse parts for my 1965 E. Would anyone know of a place? I have some parts that I don't think can be repaired. 

If you call Airforms up in Alaska and talk to them real nice, they may make some for you. The wife told me at the last trade show that they have PMA for them, but they were getting so many returns they quit selling them. They said Mooney kind of hand made all of them, so standard parts rarely fit. You just have to convince them that you won't return them and understand that they will probably need some adjustment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

If you call Airforms up in Alaska and talk to them real nice, they may make some for you. The wife told me at the last trade show that they have PMA for them, but they were getting so many returns they quit selling them. They said Mooney kind of hand made all of them, so standard parts rarely fit. You just have to convince them that you won't return them and understand that they will probably need some adjustment.

Back in 2013, I ordered them from Airforms.  I am surprised they were getting so many returns.  On my C model, they actually fit better than stock and I saw a decrease in CHT's immediately because of how well they fit.  The mechanic that installed them was very impressed by them.  They have held up very well over the years and still do the job well.  Too bad things did not work out.  I guess I was lucky.

Before I went to Airforms, I actually got a quote for the parts from the Mooney factory.  I still have the excel spreadsheet they sent me with the parts and the prices for the parts.  All totalled about $2500 from the factory.  I think I paid $1700 or so for the Airforms one but I could be wrong.  I have slept since then. :D  I do know Airforms were less expensive than the factory.

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2021 at 1:56 PM, JayM said:

I am trying to find somewhere to purchase some doghouse parts for my 1965 E. Would anyone know of a place? I have some parts that I don't think can be repaired. 

Hi Jay,

I may be able to help you by making you some new parts. I’ve done some for others in the past. Send me an e-mail and I’ll see if I can help. sabremech@gmail.com

Thanks,

David

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mike20papa said:

rebuilt mine out of .040 2024T3.  Improved.

Baffles Left - Assembly.jpg

Baffles Left - Installed.jpg

Baffles Right - Assembly.jpg

Baffles Right - Installed.jpg

Center Section - with edge stiffners.jpg

Nice work.   Airforms used Dzus fasteners for easy access openings to the upper spark plugs.  Yours looks like screws.  Either way, yours look really good.

I bought two sets of baffling from Airforms in the last year. One for the Mooney and one for the 56 Cessna 172. In both cases I was going to rehabilitate the old baffling. I found that after drilling out a bunch of rivets and looking at what was left, patches held together with patches. I decided life was too short and just got new ones.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I bought two sets of baffling from Airforms in the last year. One for the Mooney and one for the 56 Cessna 172. In both cases I was going to rehabilitate the old baffling. I found that after drilling out a bunch of rivets and looking at what was left, patches held together with patches. I decided life was too short and just got new ones.

Thanks