Fuel Cap Washers...

tls pilot

17 minutes ago, GEE-BEE AEROPRODUCTS said:

We die cut those for mcpeck aviation 

I also die cut fuel tank gasket and sender gasket in Flurosilicone 

3D50A0CA-5B4D-4C38-88C4-9C2462EA798E.jpeg

Guy, what is the advantage of the little ‘C’ pieces for the Shaw caps, and why on earth do the cost $68 each?

17 hours ago, PT20J said:

Guy, what is the advantage of the little ‘C’ pieces for the Shaw caps, and why on earth do the cost $68 each?

Yours should have one in stainless. It’s not obvious until you’ve disassembled to replace the o-ring on the shaft. Why you would need a $68 replacement in Delrin or any other material I can’t say. I have a parts diagram for the Shaw cap in my hangar but I can’t find it online. 

Edited by Shadrach

15 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Yours should have one in stainless

Yep, that’s what I’ve got. I took them apart to check the o-rings and adjust the tension. If they are adjusted correctly with good o-rings, I’ve found the Shaw caps to seal well and be easy to operate. This seems like an incredibly expensive solution looking for a problem. 

Skip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Yours should have one in stainless. It’s not obvious until you’ve disassemble to replace  o-ring on the shaft. Why you would need a $68 replacement in Delrin or any other material I can’t say. I have a parts diagram for the Shaw cap in my hangar but I can’t find it online. 

You’ll find it in SB M20-229A.

Clarence

On 7/3/2021 at 5:43 PM, Hank said:

I have the little bitty o-ring around the shaft inside the cap. @GEE-BEE AEROPRODUCTS makes them, I believe. Or is it @OSUAV8TER

I carry the large and small o-ring for the fuel caps. McPeck and Guy do the fuel tank gaskets. Marsh Brothers have the C hardware ring. 

Look, these fuel caps are wearing out and taking care of them can slow that down significantly. They need to be taken care of.

www.gallagheraviationllc.com/products <-- Order fuel cap o-ring kits here.

Got 'em on our plane. Yes it seems like a lot of money. Aerotough material is not delrin or anything else off the shelf. A little research into the history and capability of Marsh Brothers Aviation will provide insight into this material.

And the caps operate smoothly and easily like never before and like nothing else. These plus the MS25988/1 flourosilicone o-rings are a great improvement.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, Hank said:

How do they not fall off when you open the cap?

They are pressed in with the handle plumber just like your existing steel washer. The metal washer is wearing down your plunger every time you open and close it so someday it will not sit flat. This will prevent that from happening, amongst other things previously described here in this thread.

I like the fact that with the C washers the tabs on the Shaw caps stay laying down flat like they are supposed to. While I thought that was an exuberant price for them I don’t regret buying them. It makes the tabs move like they have graphite on them …. And the tabs lay perfectly flat. 

I fabricated my own out of some scrap stainless sheet.   Pretty easy with a dremel.  You can probably find some scrap at metal shops or maybe old thrown away exhaust shroud.   Might be able to find a SS washer of appropriate size at lowes or HD that you can notch with a dremel.  

Edited by Browncbr1
  • Like 1