OSHGOSH, 2021 DID I MISS MOONEY SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES ???

I am the one who organized the Mooneyspace social at Oshkosh in the last 4-5 years. Since I am from Canada and the government still enforces essential travel only at the border I am skipping (sadly) the trip this year. But even if I could get there, the nature of the event could make it a potential COVID spreader event.  Large gatherings are not a good idea yet. It could happen however the logistics would somehow be more complicated, there would need to be waiver signature to protect organizers etc.

Yves

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, yvesg said:

Since I am from Canada and the government still enforces essential travel only at the border I am skipping (sadly) the trip this year.

Surely going to Oshkosh is pretty essential! Is it not? You’ve gone every year!

Is Casey happening this year?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yvesg said:

I am the one who organized the Mooneyspace social at Oshkosh in the last 4-5 years. Since I am from Canada and the government still enforces essential travel only at the border I am skipping (sadly) the trip this year. But even if I could get there, the nature of the event could make it a potential COVID spreader event.  Large gatherings are not a good idea yet. It could happen however the logistics would somehow be more complicated, there would need to be waiver signature to protect organizers etc.

Yves

With the number of airplanes crossing the border, you can’t really believe that it’s closed anymore.

Clarence

3 hours ago, 201er said:

Surely going to Oshkosh is pretty essential! Is it not? You’ve gone every year!

Is Casey happening this year?

Yes Casey is happening Mike. We are going for sure.

Yves

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

With the number of airplanes crossing the border, you can’t really believe that it’s closed anymore.

Clarence

I believe many are stretching the rules however, I could not attend a Mooney Caravan clinic which is mandatory to be part of the caravan due to Covid… just going to Oshkosh for Oshkosh alone is not as appealing to me and the wife. I hope you enjoy it this year.

Yves

3 hours ago, yvesg said:

I believe many are stretching the rules however, I could not attend a Mooney Caravan clinic which is mandatory to be part of the caravan due to Covid… just going to Oshkosh for Oshkosh alone is not as appealing to me and the wife. I hope you enjoy it this year.

Yves

I’m not sure if I’m going, it all depends on requirements on returning home.  

Clarence

3 hours ago, yvesg said:

Yes Casey is happening Mike. We are going for sure.

Yves

If I can get across the border, I’m hoping to go this year. What’s the nearest airport with phone reception I can land at to clear customs?

10 hours ago, 201er said:

If I can get across the border, I’m hoping to go this year. What’s the nearest airport with phone reception I can land at to clear customs?

At this point you have to be an essential service to cross the border or that you’re a returning Canadian.  I’m not sure how you’ll convince Canada Customs that going camping is essential?

Clarence

11 hours ago, 201er said:

The best place to clear customs (today) is Kingston Ontario. Several airports where in the past you could clear them are on hold.  This could change by the date of the event. But currently, non-essential travel is still prohibited. This also could change by labor day.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

There are significant changes in Casey this year. An entrepreneur managed to lease the land from the government. Several changes are for the better but some are not. We should talk on the phone. I will contact you.

Yves

• Like 1

For those who wonder about what is the Casey event. In a nutshell: About 7 years ago few pilots decided to go camping (wild) at the Casey airstrip which is an abandoned cold war era runway out in the stick. They invited others and slowly it gained traction and in the last few years we have seen over 100 airplanes coming there. The event is during the labor day week-end. Two years ago Mike came along and was the first American airplane to join the event.

There are no services whatsoever there. No electricity, no cell coverage, no internet, NO WASHROOMS. This is not for everyone. So you need to come equiped with everything you would need including what is required to properly dispose human waste.

But this is no Oshkosh! No vendors, no restaurant… just wild camping and bond fire at night. I will post some pictures in the next few days.

Yves

• Like 2

Isn’t it critical/essential…

1) to maintain proper communication between Mooniacs north with Mooniacs south?

2) to spend USD in Canada, and CAD in the US?

3) It would be safest to be vaccinated… going either direction…

4) waiting another year makes the challenge even greater…

5) Slowly putting MSer usernames, formator names, real names, and faces together…  super critical!  Super essential!

:)

Fly safe…

Best regards,

-a-

From the link Yves posted above.  Until that changes I doubt that you’ll be going camping at Casey.

Clarence

COVID-19: Latest update June 21, 2021

• Discretionary (non-essential) travel by foreign nationals (including U.S. citizens) is still prohibited

Just now, amillet said:

@Yves  in my opinion you are very essen:)tial. The Caravan won’t be the same without you and Diane.

Thanks Alan. We will miss you and Brenda as well. We hope next year will be better.

Yves

On 7/3/2021 at 4:42 PM, yvesg said:

Yves

We will miss you!  I have my fingers crossed for a border reopening on July 21 but I am skeptical it will happen.  With us being vaccinated, i am not as worried about risk as I was last year at this time and I miss spending time at my lake!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 7:54 AM, yvesg said:

The best place to clear customs (today) is Kingston Ontario. Several airports where in the past you could clear them are on hold.  This could change by the date of the event. But currently, non-essential travel is still prohibited. This also could change by labor day.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

There are significant changes in Casey this year. An entrepreneur managed to lease the land from the government. Several changes are for the better but some are not. We should talk on the phone. I will contact you.

Yves

I am also super interested in this Casey event (if not this year, then next year when border opens).  Please send me details!  May be me alone, poor Byron isn’t into camping generally and especially without facilities :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, steingar said:

I'll be there, but I am saddened to hear there's no Monday might event.  I love meeting my fellow Mooneyspacers. Can't do the Caravan, wasn't able to make any of the clinics.

We should post parking information and maybe do some sort of plane to plane beer potluck :)  

• Like 2