Feedback before I send the deposit

I'm about to commit to this panel upgrade, but wanted the group to share their thoughts before I did.  I chose not to go for the G3x touch mainly because I don't like reading just tapes, want to retain the steam gauges as a worst case backup, and didn't want to wait for the screen that's backordered. 

Currently has a GNX375

Adding:

GTN 750xi

GNC 255a

PMA 450b

GFC 500 with yaw

EDM 930

Dual G5s

Just now, Skates97 said:

My only thoughts are that you probably don't need the yaw damper in an E, just make sure you have the auto trim. Other than you you will love the PMA450B.

I forgot to update.  It's in a beech 36. 

• Like 1

I'd consider the GNC 355 vs. the 255.  Give you another LPV capable GPS and you still have the second Comm.

With the  GTN you'll have the ILS and if there is GPS interference you'll have a VOR.  But approaches are moving to GPS, so you'll have redundant GPS.  And I get that you may not need yet another map enroute.  I usually have mine on Terrain.  Or you can dedicate it to Traffic.  Then when you are actually shooting an approach, you switch it back to the Map page to again have redundancy for the big picture.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NJMac said:

I'm about to commit to this panel upgrade, but wanted the group to share their thoughts before I did.  I chose not to go for the G3x touch mainly because I don't like reading just tapes, want to retain the steam gauges as a worst case backup, and didn't want to wait for the screen that's backordered. 

Currently has a GNX375

Adding:

GTN 750xi

GNC 255a

PMA 450b

GFC 500 with yaw

EDM 930

Dual G5s

If this is the route I was going I'd do 3 GI-275's (one for the Garmin EIS) and eliminate the EDM930. The cost difference should be a wash and you'll have a more functional and much better looking panel, 

• Like 1

Any pictures of the panel?  I’m a strong advocate for a large flat panel.  You can easily keep your (important) steam gauges to backup a g3x display just like most of the Mooney gx models use.  Compared to the total cost of upgrading a panel the upgrade to the g3x is a non event.

If I was overhauling your panel on the cheap I’d add to your 375…a garmin 255, 225, 10inch g3x with eis, gfc500.  I’d also find a used pma8000 and lifesaver AI with a battery backup to combine with your current ASI and altimeter for backup instrumentation. A flush mount iPad mini might look nice where the old engine instruments are located  

On the opposite end of the spectrum you could add a 10 inch txi, a couple 750’s,and a  gfc600.

If you’re dead set on keeping the six pack I’d spring for the 275’s. 

• Like 2

Big question, would you expect to see your approach plates on the 750 or would you use an iPad?  My personal experience with the charts shown on the panel first on Dynon Skyview, later on a GTN750, was the fine print was just a little too small.  I always wound up with either paper or iFly GPS and now an iPad with Garmin Pilot.  If you are going iPad no matter what, a 650 will do almost as much as a 750.  One or the other.

Through sometime in August, Garmin still has their GI-275 bundle pricing, about $500 off. In addition, their synthetic vision is only $500 right now.  Yes, I know, small screen but a few small things it allows makes it attractive for just a few more bucks.  The promo price brings it with $2k of the G5s with much more capability. ADI Primary and MFD Primary/ADI standby, both with battery and ADAHRS will do a heck of a lot more than the G5s.  As Lance said, the EIS is a wash pricewise with the 930.

Watch a couple of Chris Koppel's (Fly_M20Rvideos on the GI-275 combo paired with a G500 autopilot.  These things were made for each other.

If you get either a 650 or 750 and already have a GTX375, that covers ADSB in/out, transponder, two very capable GPS navigators, one VOR receiver, one ILS receiver, and one com.  Do you really need a second nav receiver?  I suspect my one will only be used for practice.  Tune it to a station and see if it works.  So, my second is a PS Engineering PAR200B.  Com radio and audio panel in the same box.  Well actually the radio itself is remote mounted but tuned on the audio panel.  I'd vote for that versus a GNC225 and PMA450B.

You all are talking me into the 275s.  I'll dig deeper into them.  I had originally had a Garmin com only but wanted a backup nav if the other 2 gps options quit.  Not sure if that's ever a real scenario to concern myself with or not. I'll take a look at the PAR200b.  

10 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Any pictures of the panel?  I’m a strong advocate for a large flat panel.  You can easily keep your (important) steam gauges to backup a g3x display just like most of the Mooney gx models use.  Compared to the total cost of upgrading a panel the upgrade to the g3x is a non event.

If I was overhauling your panel on the cheap I’d add to your 375…a garmin 255, 225, 10inch g3x with eis, gfc500.  I’d also find a used pma8000 and lifesaver AI with a battery backup to combine with your current ASI and altimeter for backup instrumentation. A flush mount iPad mini might look nice where the old engine instruments are located  

On the opposite end of the spectrum you could add a 10 inch txi, a couple 750’s,and a  gfc600.

If you’re dead set on keeping the six pack I’d spring for the 275’s. 

Current panel is attached.  Will become a new single panel.  Want the circuit breakers to the right of the audio colum.  Attached what I'm thinking for my ending result. 

The PAR200B only has 4 place intercom.  The 450b has 6 place. Now I'm wondering if I should do a Garmin audio panel so I can get the telligence.   

I don't get why everyone loves the G3x.  @PT20J what's got you so excited about it?  

N7525NInt27.jpeg

N7525NInt22.jpeg

N7525NInt20.jpeg

16217365463638683327297768094887.jpg

I think the situational awareness of synthetic vision and the larger display of everything (vs the 275/Aspen/g5) is beneficial. Also using a portion of the larger displays to show mfd information is advantageous especially with the radio stack so far over on the bonanza. Weather, traffic, engine data, and plates would be very readable right in front on a larger screen. 

IMO if you are planning on a new panel, not exactly cheap on the older A36’s, really think long and hard about how you want the panel set up. It makes all the difference in the final product and many shops fall short in that area.