Mooneys as transportation

Two weeks ago my family did a short family vacation up to the Spokane WA area from Utah.  We have 4 kids and a lot of gear to haul so we split up and myself and the two oldest boys went by Mooney and the wife and the two youngest went by Delta Airlines.  On the morning we traveled back I helped my wife get ready and sent her off to the Spokane airport.  Maybe 15 minutes later the boys and I headed to the much closer Deer park WA airport, got some fuel and took off.  We made a fuel stop at Mountain home Idaho and guess who passes us on our final leg into the Tooele UT airport?  Delta flight 2403 with the wife and younger kids on it.  We had been fighting a 20 knot headwind almost the entire way until we hit Utah.  Even so we only landed maybe 10 minutes after my wife's flight but beat them home by 1.5 hours since we live 5 minutes from the Tooele airport and didn't have to deal with big airport shenanigans.   It's a lot of fun traveling by Mooney.   Seems like within 600 miles the Mooney is competitive with the airlines but with some added convenience - weather permitting of course. 

IMG_20210613_155244569.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Utah20Gflyer said:

It's a lot of fun traveling by Mooney.   Seems like within 600 miles the Mooney is competitive with the airlines but with some added convenience - weather permitting of course. 

IMG_20210613_155244569.jpg

Yes, the Mooney versus airline algorithm can be very complicated.  It is definitely not just cost.  Airlines are pretty cheap, but add in convenience, time, fun, weather concerns, FBO fees and sometimes you fly the Mooney "just because you can", not because it makes sense.

The convenience factor becomes huge for those living with their planes since there's no commute to/from the Mooney.

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 1

Buying a plane to save money on travel, is like buying a boat to save money on fish... it isn't going to compute...

What it provides is time and convenience.  Even in an airline, a trip to see my family is an entire day of travel coming, and another going.

In the mooney, it is 4 hours door to door.  That is the difference in a four day weekend....

hard to imagine not having it anymore...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1