What did adding a J windshield get you?

Sometimes I think I am seeing the future…  :)

Then there is proof…  somebody had my good idea already!

Great pic DV8!

Thanks for sharing it.

Definitely worth it!

Hmmm…  Looks like ya got one of them fancy TopProps and pointy spinner to really round out the aerodynamic look… :)

Best regards,

-a-

Both my first Mooney, a C, and my current F have the J windshield.  My current one has no behind the panel access from above, but has been manageable even though it has gone through some major panel work. My C had small, custom made access panels at the front corners which eased panel work quite a bit.  Those little corner access panels make a great compromise.

As far as expense being worth the gain, that’s a personal decision.  Are a few extra knots worth it for YOU?  Another thought is, do you need a new windshield anyway!  In that case it might be the time to do it.

My C model has the SWTA windshield, so it has the two small access panels. I've had those panels open more times than I can count; they're the perfect size to stick your arms through and then have no idea which wire you're grabbing because your arm pretty much fills the hole. 

I flew a friend's F with the stock windshield. It felt tighter up front, even though it had all that space in back. The extra real estate you pick up on the glare shield is handy if you've got a Stratus or handheld you want to perch up there, or maybe just a place to warm your sandwich in the sun... 

I prefer the 201 windshield, but given the chance, I'd make it the last mod after the panel was set for the next generation of avionics upgrades. My chiropractor is reaping the rewards of my labor having recently been under the panel for GPS/Engine Monitor/Fuel Sender install.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pasturepilot said:

The extra real estate you pick up on the glare shield is handy if you've got a Stratus or handheld you want to perch up there, or maybe just a place to warm your sandwich in the sun... 

As a matter of fact that is the one bit I would REALLY like. My C has the conventional 2 piece windshield, meaning no glareshield to speak of at all. I once flew in a C which had the 201 mod and it is a world apart. I really like the space you get much better, be it for some electronics to put on or only to increase the distance between yourself and the windshield.

Is the SWATA variant still available? I would love to eventually do that.

• Like 1

+1 for the extra space to put something temporarily…

The bigger the glareshield the easier it is to find your check lists… :)

A too big glare shield… the checklist can sneak away and disappear between the glareshield and the window…

Only visible from outside the plane… (an LB kind of challenge)

Best regards,

-a-

14 hours ago, Urs_Wildermuth said:

As a matter of fact that is the one bit I would REALLY like. My C has the conventional 2 piece windshield, meaning no glareshield to speak of at all. I once flew in a C which had the 201 mod and it is a world apart. I really like the space you get much better, be it for some electronics to put on or only to increase the distance between yourself and the windshield.

Is the SWATA variant still available? I would love to eventually do that.

My understanding is the STWA Windshield mod is no longer available - I think several of their STCs are now unavailable as a matter of fact. I'm glad my friend knocked out all the mods back in the 90's when all the mods were readily available, and so I didn't have to deal with the hassle of doing them myself. 

You might reach out to SWTA directly to confirm this, I understand they're a right friendly crowd. 

I put the LASAR 201 windshield in my C in 2016. 

Here's my personal assessment of costs/benefits, ranked from best to worst feature:

(1) Claustophobic cockpit feel - dramatic improvement

(2) Cockpit noise level - moderate but very real improvement 

(3) Visibility - moderate improvement - can see above better

(4) loss of avionics access vs. protection - I did my major upgrades before this install so I don't miss it much; The peace of mind that all that expensive work is better protected from water is a net gain in my view.

(5) Speed- any improvement is imperceptible by me

(6) Aircraft looks - meh for me, not sure if it looks better or worse, but completely in eye of beholder

(7) Risk A&P induced damage - trashed my vertical card compass (discovered damage much later); steel cage and engine mount also extensively magnetized by the machinery used for the work; demagnetizing it a couple years later was real PITA.

Overall assessment of value - It costs >>10amu once painting etc. is finished - it's a nice mod but not a big win as a value proposition. I'm not sure I'd do it again.

My thread from 2016:

Edited by DXB
  • Like 1