Garmin authorized dealer exclusivity

Just now, Hank said:

I've never heard that it's temporary. All Garmin installs / updates / repairs must be done through the friendly local Garmin dealer.

Not all installs. I had my G5’s installed by a non-Garmin dealer… I was in a club where 430’s were installed by a non-Garmin dealer, etc etc, oh.. I recently had my GAD13 installed last week by a non-Garmin dealer.. the exclusivity is a temporary thing.

1 minute ago, Yourpilotincommand said:

Not all installs. I had my G5’s installed by a non-Garmin dealer… I was in a club where 430’s were installed by a non-Garmin dealer, etc etc, oh.. I recently had my GAD13 installed last week by a non-Garmin dealer.. the exclusivity is a temporary thing.

The g5 was the only one I’d heard of. That was kind of a special deal. I don’t expect they’ll ever allow the gfc500 to be installed in a certificated aircraft from other than a dealer. 

2 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

You might want to use their dealers who have experience installing more complex systems...rather than paying someone to come up the experience curve on your dime.  Or worse yet, having it done incorrectly.

I installed dual G-5's, a GTX335, and a GNC355 under supervision. For the GFC500 I was happy to pay an installer with experience installing them in Mooneys, and they still managed to mess up my trim which I caught during pre-flight. It required them opening it back up, disconnecting the joint in front of the trim servo, turning the tube to get it positioned correctly, and then reconnecting everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yourpilotincommand said:

I’m just trying to understand the Garmin exclusivity… specifically how long before certain products are allowed into the mainstream A&Ps… that’s all.

Maybe never.  Letting anyone buy and install their products undermines their dealer network.  I’d be a little miffed if Mooney, Diamond and Cirrus (all of whom I have service centres for) let every shop or maintainer deal directly to buy parts and services.

Clarence

16 minutes ago, Yourpilotincommand said:

I’m just trying to understand the Garmin exclusivity… specifically how long before certain products are allowed into the mainstream A&Ps… that’s all.

Another, maybe never, ut for a different reason. Whether it's Gamin only allowing authorized installers or McDonalds only permitting its franchisees to buy from certain suppliers, it's an effort at controlling quality (yeah, I know, McDonalds and quality in the same sentence).

Edited by midlifeflyer

Working in the instrumentation field, I think what you are seeing from Garmin is a three prong approach. There are products that are categorized for the experimental crowd. This allows them to install the product on their own. The second prong is a group of products that they are allowing non-Garmin dealer shops install (G5s, etc.) and then there are the premiere products that they require authorized dealers to install.

From my industry, the authorized dealer approach ensures that the dealer is formally trained on the product, including installation, troubleshooting and authorized repairs. This keeps down warranty costs and ensures that a product isn't installed by someone who creates warranty costs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Yourpilotincommand said:

Yea I’m going with never as well. Products like the g5 were specifically sold as non dealer items. The 500 wasn’t positioned that way. 

Things to keep in mind…

The G5s came from the Experimental avionics department at Big G…. Then switched over to the certified side afterwards…

G5 installation must be near bullet proof…

In a similar way the GI275 installation, has had a few red Xs in their recent history… and that is with their preferred shops…

The GFC500 is a complete step up in complexity…. The STC testing has been more complete/complex than any other AP in Mooney history… 

Installation issues… like failure to clean yoke tubes has caused the AP to stop functioning…/cut out.

So….
It seems to go against the Big G protection of their business partners program…

Don’t hold your breath… contact Trek and ask…

See what the Experimental kids are doing with their GFC500s…

There may be an odd reason that Big G woukd loosen their grip on this highly prized device…

Either way… I would prefer to be the second customer to have his AP installed by any one installer…  :)

APs have the ability to do some nasty things on their own… never mind having any help from an installer… qualified or not…

PP thoughts only, not an avionics tech…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1