How many non Mooney owners are here ?

patriot3300

In a recent post I was informed that......

You're preaching to the choir. A vast majority of people on here are the farthest sense from the term "newbie". Coming from management of another Mooney-centric message board, I don't fare well with people quarreling over sales price of a plane they aren't shopping for.

Seems a bit testy to me.......

So new guys Let’s hear your voice !

I joined years ago and listened/learned for a long time before ever posting and Didn’t post until I felt I had something relevant to say.

How many others are here doing the same ??

Does anyone want a person with some knowledge looking out for them ?

I haven’t worked on every Mooney model out there.....but have wrenched on a few...I do have a Ppl and my A&p and fly my own airplane.

I have also bought and sold several airplanes.

Perhaps I’m way to sensitive ?

I know there are Many great people here and I’d love to hear their thoughts !

Stuart

2 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

With all due respect, I have had similar thoughts about your posts, Stuart.  You seem to be a bit of a troll to me. I can’t quite figure out what your agenda is. If you’re going to repeatedly start threads like this, I hope you don’t mind my asking, but what is it?

Jim

Please explain to me why Attempting to inform others that caution might be needed is taboo....

I am not into getting  personal here just trying to lay out same facts...

I believe my 1st post explained my perspective very well....

DID YOU READ IT ?

patriot3300

• Advanced Member
  •  
  • Supporter
  • 33 posts

My thought on this aircraft was if i could buy it reasonably id take a week of and do a proper annual on it.

I also planned to look in person before bidding, now that its overpriced(imho)i won't be persuing it and just wanted to give a heads up for other newbies on the forum.

IMHO if you pay 25k for this you will be under water UNLESS you  can do virtually ALL the wrenching.

If you like more of my personal opinion please pm me.

Thanks

Stuart

Is my agenda Made clear !!!

Im sorry you guys are taking this as a personal assault on the value of your C Model.......It is NOT personal At All !

Stuart

23 minutes ago, philip_g said:

Don't sweat it Stuart. You're one of the cool kids around here or you aren't. It's always been that way.

Thanks Philip,I believe your analysis is very accurate and I will no longer respond to personal insults, etc.

Now back to the real reason for this post.

I feel that there are many people like me that never speak out for the very reason you see displayed above.

If you are looking for a Mooney and don't want to expose yourself to ridicule please pm me.

I am happy to give away 30 minutes of my time to help a person with the right attitude.

No, I am not a mooney owner but do hold an A&P and have bought-sold read about and dreamed aircraft since i can remember.

Thank You,

Stuart

9 minutes ago, NJMac said:

My tolder is having a bad day.  Do you two want to cry together?  What's this drama about?  Have a swig of milk and move on with your day. 

Nobody at my house is crying....

But the poor slob that bought that C on ebay most likely will.

The only crying  here Is C owners worried about their aircrafts value.

Im actually wanting to Help people.

Do your comments Help anyone?

1 hour ago, patriot3300 said:

Thanks Philip,I believe your analysis is very accurate and I will no longer respond to personal insults, etc.

Now back to the real reason for this post.

I feel that there are many people like me that never speak out for the very reason you see displayed above.

If you are looking for a Mooney and don't want to expose yourself to ridicule please pm me.

I am happy to give away 30 minutes of my time to help a person with the right attitude.

No, I am not a mooney owner but do hold an A&P and have bought-sold read about and dreamed aircraft since i can remember.

Thank You,

Stuart

55 minutes ago, Shiny moose said:

Speak your mind patriot!! Free speach also applies on MS, or at least I thought so. 

Having nothing to do with this thread, but this is I’m sure a private forum, meaning someone owns it, and they do get to determine what is and isn’t said. It’s there sand box, and as such they determine the rules, we just get to play in it.

On a side note I don’t understand how they are doing so well keeping the spam out, on many forums it’s a constant battle and often some get through, but not here somehow.

Most forums have moderators that are out in the open, people know who they are, and forums have rules. I’m a moderator on the largest cruising boat forum there is. our biggest rule is the be nice rule, it’s the Queen Mother of rules, pretty much any other rule violation will get you a private talking to, but being nasty to others will earn you a ban. Maybe not the first time, but soon.

‘But some other misconceptions, people who start a thread think it’s “their’s”, well it’s not, it’s whoever owns the forum, as well they own the forum.

I’m only posting this because I think we should understand that we are guests here

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard Stuart…

Let’s see if I can piece some things together….

1) MSers are people…

2) People often have difficulty getting their thoughts out in a typed format, the way they intend…

3) What they say in their state/country…. Can easily be misinterpret across the Mooney world…

4) Often people are trying to be Helpful on a topic… and accidentally say something that bashes somebody else’s idea…

5) The more you work with large groups of people… the more this becomes an obvious challenge that occurs amongst people…

6) Consider the audience we have… from 20s through 80s…. Dozens of countries… six continents…. Several languages.

7) Not everyone thinks the same way…

8) Things really go awry when the thread gets really long…. People may forget what the title or OP were… then drift occurs…

9) It is never appropriate to bash somebody’s for sale thread… but it occurs somewhat accidentally… somebody will ask a question about the item… somebody else will add their negative experience…

10) It takes time to behave like an adult… in a public forum… I watch it happen here every day…

11) We are all on the same team… with the same challenges… we have rules… but nobody wrote them out… If I wrote them out… would you read them?

If they were longer than five items… how many people would remember them?

12) We have an entrance fee, and a method to skirt that when unable fees…

13) If you didn’t like what somebody said… did you think to contact them directly?

14) Some statements are easy to mis-interpret… every now and then I get a PM replete with guidance… :)

15) It takes time to be part of a community… a lot of time.

16) There are many MSers that are unable to post… for a variety of reasons… pseudonyms enable people to be here and share ideas openly…

17) There is also a huge amount of friendship going on around here…. Some people will say some of the weirdest things about another guy’s plane… several states away…  one MSer actually listed another MSer’s plane for sale… an April first kind of joke…

18) It’s hard to tell the players without a score card…

19) When you see something really weird going on… ask.   Did you mean that?   It could be two MSers that know each other really well being funny…

20) Everyone knows taking care of planes is a challenge… we all know that planes in Florida can be forever planes like they are  in Arizona….  If you want to have some fun… find Chris….  Make a post that says planes that live in Florida will rust out in five years…

21) If you can’t find Chris… he will find you… and write a paragraph of why this isn’t true for everyone…. Sometimes he will send a PM… :)

22) Try to get to know people… we have thousands of people here… some are like you… others are not…

23) No two are alike….

24) Everyone has something to offer… even it is only a pic posted in the today’s flight thread… very often advice comes from people with experience outside the aviation world…

25) Know that complaints don’t make things naturally better…

26) How you say things… is as important as what you say….  -Mom

27) My favorite… watch what day, or time of that day something got written…  you might recognize some patterns…

Basic rules around here…

1) Be nice to everyone…

2) Be forgiving of other people… everyone makes mistakes…

3) Try hard… to get your point across clearly to everyone… 

4) Consider what it is like for…

• people with less time… 
  • people with less money…
  • people with less skill…
  • people with less opportunity…
  • people with less knowledge…
  • people with memory challenges… 
  • people with a handicap…
  • people without a class III medical…

5) Consider visiting the Introduce yourself thread…  and it’s half brother… new member groups…

6) Also consider you are PIC for yourself… but not for other people….  If somebody is doing something different than you would like… how do you attempt to make a difference?

7) Oddly, some of the most annoying people I have met… hang out on MS…. They are the high performance people… doctors, lawyers, mechanics, business owners, captains of airliners, military pilots, some even fly helicopters…. Watch out for the retired guy… the list goes on… student pilots, low time pilots, pilots with thousands of hours…. :) All Mooney pilots… or wannabes….  I have since flown with many of these high performance people, had lunch with others, met up with them at fly-ins and Mooney Summit…  They are not ogres… they are great people who i couldn’t really get to know through their keyboard…

8) Use AMUs in conversations about pricing… this helps keep the spam to a minimum… everyone knows what you are discussing except the outsiders…

9) Don’t use foul language… it may be normal for you, but it is definitely not normal for everyone…

10) Don’t be afraid to lend a hand…. Point out a thread, do a search, rotate a pic, make a recommendation, forward a link, for a newbie… 

11) Things that don’t fly… discussions regarding politics, non aviation topics, sexism, racism, ageism, and violence… and things of that nature…

Last I checked… we are all on the same team… :)

Go MS!

PP fun only… MS is one part serious, one part fun, one part enjoyable for everyone…

It IS worth the price of admission… even if you only paid with your eyeballs and clicks…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Stuart,

I stumbled across that thread I think you are describing…

Have a look at how people are responding over there…

Let me know your thoughts…

We can also invite @PilotX to see what may be going on…

Best regards,

-a-

No idea what you are talking about. I made a funny or so I thought…more about my lack of a life outside of the internet than about somebody, especially when it was a post copied and pasted from the internet. Chided. Post edited. 

• Thanks 1

X,

Humor is a tough one around here…

The audience is so varied from age groups to areas of the world they live in…

We have a special sign for that… kind of an applause sign…. :)

Toss in the smiley guy… people get a hint of where you are going…

Without a hint, they may not recognize your sense of humor…

What really helps… when people remember you as being partially funny in the past…. He is probably making humor again…

Some people’s memory is terrible…

So… adding a pic in your avatar area can be really helpful…

Just remember… some people surf MS on tiny smart phones… and all that avatar info is hard to come by on a day to day basis…

Thanks for the edits…

The for sale section is a really serious subject area…

People are afraid to list things for sale there because of the two way street…

It would be a loss for MSers when people go outside of MS to list things for sale…

Thankyou and best regards,

-a-

On 6/23/2021 at 12:17 PM, patriot3300 said:

In a recent post I was informed that......

You're preaching to the choir. A vast majority of people on here are the farthest sense from the term "newbie". Coming from management of another Mooney-centric message board, I don't fare well with people quarreling over sales price of a plane they aren't shopping for.

Seems a bit testy to me.......

So new guys Let’s hear your voice !

I joined years ago and listened/learned for a long time before ever posting and Didn’t post until I felt I had something relevant to say.

How many others are here doing the same ??

Does anyone want a person with some knowledge looking out for them ?

I haven’t worked on every Mooney model out there.....but have wrenched on a few...I do have a Ppl and my A&p and fly my own airplane.

I have also bought and sold several airplanes.

Perhaps I’m way to sensitive ?

I know there are Many great people here and I’d love to hear their thoughts !

Stuart

Please keep posting helpful and /or interesting info about Mooneys, even opinionated ones. And opining about valuation of planes you don't intend to buy was a well-established tradition here long before you joined ;).   Regardless, the dual A&P+pilot perspectives like yours on more important topics are particularly valuable here to us rank amateurs.  Don't sweat the occasional criticism (justified or otherwise) - some off the mark comments are inevitable here, like on any other public forum.  This one is actually better than average in that regard - I've gotten a ton of help here with maintaining and flying my Mooney and even made a couple of real world friends. 

Edited by DXB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a non-Mooney owner.  I own a 1951 Cessna 170A and am getting my private it in.  Have just a few more hours to go.  I would like to have a Mooney someday.  I worked at Mooney as an engineer from late-2013 right after the Chinese bought them to mid-2017 when I started seeing the writing on the wall.  Now I’m an engineer at Air Tractor.

Even though I’m not a Mooney owner I enjoy this site because there is lots of good Mooney and general aviation information available.  I also like reading about what is happening at the factory when those posts arise.  I’ve made but a few posts since 2013, but check the forum almost daily.

I dislike the drama and general internet pettiness that is often associated with internet forums.  It is so much sometimes that I contemplate never returning here and in turn missing out on all of the good information available just to not see the drama. 

Stephan

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pinkiedog64 said:

I dislike the drama and general internet pettiness that is often associated with internet forums.  It is so much sometimes that I contemplate never returning here and in turn missing out on all of the good information available just to not see the drama. 

There's little pettiness and drama here. Have you visited AOPA Forums or Pilot's of America for comparison? :unsure:

I am a student pilot and a mooney is in my short list of first airplanes. I think I joined this site more than year ago already and I have posted before and I enjoy the insight that I have learned here about general aviation ( I mostly work I’m the commercial side ). 
I hope to one day repay the people in this site for all the information and help they have provided to basically everyone free of charge and from just being just awesome people. 
Issues arise everywhere in our society and this forum is no exception because that just life but it’s very minor here.

I think that owning a good plane is one thing but being part of community that’s as exceptional as the one here is definitely a plus of mooney ownership. 

I hope to one day be as good as @corusoam when it comes to bullet points :-)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pinkiedog64 said:

I’m a non-Mooney owner.  I own a 1951 Cessna 170A and am getting my private it in.  Have just a few more hours to go.  I would like to have a Mooney someday.  I worked at Mooney as an engineer from late-2013 right after the Chinese bought them to mid-2017 when I started seeing the writing on the wall.  Now I’m an engineer at Air Tractor.

Even though I’m not a Mooney owner I enjoy this site because there is lots of good Mooney and general aviation information available.  I also like reading about what is happening at the factory when those posts arise.  I’ve made but a few posts since 2013, but check the forum almost daily.

Stephan

Stephan,

You are sure to fit in…

Do you know @A64Pilot?  He is often supplying pertinent details picked up from his time at AirTractor…

We have a few/several people who have done time at the Mooney factory… including engineers

We also claim some children whose parents spent time there…

If you have seen Boots on the Ground, the Mooney story…. Mitch and Jolie are around here separately and often….

Not sure how many Cessna tail draggers we have around here…  but a couple of C140s and a C195 with the radial….

Some companies change ownership….  But the people you get to work with will probably outlive most companies…

Always maintain friendships…. You never know when you will see them again… :)

I think I counted five or so acquisitions of companies I worked for… it takes practice to come out the other end with your sanity intact…

We have a few aero-engineers that are Mooney owners in KS, and in CT…

All from fuzzy memory….

Best regards,

-a-