MODIFIED REQUEST Design the Simplest Cleanest Panel Yet (INCLUDING any "experimental" only items)

Crowd source this request  Let's see what the peanut gallery can do here!

How about going the other direction in panel layouts and help design the simplest, cleanest panel yet that will do all things VFR and simple very occasional IFR (not sever weather);   A/P aside for right now

Include any EXPERIMENTAL aircraft only items you can think of as there are ways to use them in a Mooney. (<$$$)

Say for starters only one digital ADi and a digital DG (AV-30, RC Allen, etc)  

one  GARMIN gps 175  (IFR is legal with just 1 WAAS GPS on board),

one ADSB xponder,

one comm radio (GTR 200)       (has intercom built in)     

I split them up so one failure won't ground the entire airplane. 

Lets throw in an engine monitor to replace all the other gages. 

Doesn't have to be Garmin  That's just a first idea for a very empty panel that does it all simply  Then there is room for a dock and a tablet for the moving map stuff  (ADSB stuff, map, Wx depiction etc)

Keep it clean and simple (lower cost is a factor also) 

A real minimalist panel

What can you all come up with?  KISS formula only   LOW $$$$$

Everyone here seems able to spend lots of OPM for complicated panels now spend my money in the other direction :-)

Edited by cliffy
added text
  • Like 1

Cliffy- my solution doesn’t meet all of your criteria, but it’s probably closest to what you’re getting at than anyone else here.

-dual G5 with GPS175. 
-JPI 730 (not TSO, but 1/3 the price.  Also, I like having the original instruments as backup if the JPI craps out. Plus I prefer the large MP and tach). 
-Sandia transponder (no ADSB on it, but you should get the Uavionix wingtip unit.  I have a FreeFlight ADSB that was cheap).  
-ICOM radio (non TSO but I did a 337 the FSDO was happy with.  Has an intercom). 
-my “MFD” is a Garmin Aera with GDL-39. Gives me traffic and weather on the yoke, plus gives me audio alerts like “Traffic!” and “Terrain!”

Total cost for the above was about $16k, like you I do the work myself.  The G5’s and GPS175 were the easiest avionics installation I’ve ever done.

B5184827-58BA-475E-9071-BF357D5DB7A3.jpeg

Edited by Andy95W
  • Like 3

My new Bonanza came with a Garmin 375.  I probably wouldn't have picked that myself but dang is it a nice unit and loaded with utility, and reasonably economical.  I'd probably volunteer that for this project. 

I have wingtip ADSB that I will keep. 

Andy- ya not quite what I'm thinking about. I'm going clean sweep.  I don't worry about the engine gages disappearing in flight. Chance is slight and I don't worry about it that much. I'd just land somewhere and fix it. The Lyc 180 is bullet proof in my mind after 50 + years of experience.  Don't want all the mechanical gages for flight as back up either. I can drape a sheet over the panel and still fly the airplane. Red Xs don't scare me (unless IFR and i don't do that  anymore. IFR capability is for last chance back up only. 

G5s are a possibility I read the install and they look pretty easy (as do others). The 175 likewise

Actually seriously considering going "Primary Airplane" and using all non-TSO stuff. Much cheaper that way for the same capability. 

To anyone following on with this request for design maybe include anything you can think of that is for "Experimental" aircraft only also. I'll modify the title of this thread.

• Like 1

• cliffy changed the title to MODIFIED REQUEST Design the Simplest Cleanest Panel Yet (INCLUDING any "experimental" only items)

Honestly, cheap and clean may not go together…

G3X - 10” with eis

G5 backup

GNC 355 gps/comm

Remote transponder GTX 345r or your current.

PAR200B - intercom/backup radio

so maybe 4 things sticking out of your panel?

We have one MSer that went Primary airplane(?)…

Similar to taking a Mooney experimental… based on old existing rules…. Nothing new.

Find that thread if interested…

A clean sheet simple instrument panel based on available hardware… makes a great idea.

It will probably be very IFR capable as a side affect of the modern hardware that is available…

Great thread  Cliffy!

Best regards,

-a-

There was a post of a panel in a vintage bird that was just plane simple. I think it was in an F or a C, or an E, but I personally loved it. Its was a G3x, pma450b, g5, and a gnx375. The rest was remote i beleve.

Found it. It belongs to @Brian E.. I love it.

34556589_N5569Qnewpanel-on.JPG.622044a98e0239a606d7a11890819b79.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Niko182
  • Like 1

I like Brian’s panel above but IMO I would pay significantly less for an aircraft that replaced the g5/g3x with two 275’s and nothing else.  I guess I just differentiate a clean panel with a spartan one.  Now add a 7 inch g3x mfd screen to the 275’s and I’d be on board again. Even a flush mount 760 would be a big improvement. 

2 hours ago, cliffy said:

That's what I'm working on

Something like that that will turn heads!

If you're not going to need IFR, you could literally just do the G3X with no G5. If you stick to VFR flying only, a backup isn't really required.

You could do a G3X 10 in with EIS, GNC355, a GTR200, and I'd still recommend a PMA450B over the Garmin audio panels. Or...
G3X 10 in with EIS, GNX375, 2 GTR200s, and the 450B. I'd opt for an ADSB transponder personally over the skybeacon, since you get ADS-B fully onboard. and of course a GFC500 if you want.

.  Can't do the GFC500 as its an "early bird" and I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a 35K airframe

Remember the first post LOW $$$$$$

Come on guys surely you have more ideas for the CBs club? 

(BTW don't call me Shirley)

From Big G site…. aera 660…

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/520775

Great for situational awareness… using GPS…

LOOKS like it has air data… but, I don’t see any air data handling in the specs… (no AHARS type device?)

Something to check on if considering it for airspeed purposes…

Goofy PP thoughts only… 

Best regards,

-a-

I currently use iFlyGPS on a tablet on the yoke. We like the app and probably want to use it in someway for the MFD (cradle dock?)

They have actual charts imbedded and updated) good display easy to use. Basically cheap

I'd like to avoid Garmin subscriptions if I can

SO I want to get rid of all the analog gages (Apsen? Hmm Maybe)  but they all need to be primary instruments. Back up AV 20 maybe? (your ideas?)

Have even given consideration to analog A/S and Alt AND venturi driven AHI  !    Hate to do it though but it would work. And the vac pump will be gone!

I want WAAS GPS only (no vor or ILS)(175?) (Dynon?) and someway to display the LPV glide slope (just in case its needed) Aspen?

I'll use 2 non-TSO comms (small)  and a Xpndr with wingtip ADSB (maybe used 327?)

Everything engine wise goes in an analyzer system in 1 face (small MP and RPM doesn't scare me :-)

This is just my first thought   OSH is coming so I can check things out there

BTW how's the Aspen red X failure problem coming? Anyone know? 

More Ideas for me to check out PLEASE for I know not what I need Haven't really looked at avionics for several years

Remember "experimental only" stuff may be usable for me.  THANKS for helping me out!

One crossroad hurdle I see coming…

For something like the engine monitor…

A powerful primary unit like the JPI900 allows you to dump all of the engine gauges that it replaces…

To go with something that looks the same, and costs a ton less….  It won’t be primary… leaving you with the original ship’s gauges in the panel somewhere…

How would you want to handle that…

I nice clean panel with low cost modern instruments in front of the pilot….  With the old analog devices to be checked off at each annual… mounted somewhere off to the right of the SIC…?

the cross roads of price and clean streets… :)

Don’t forget new vs. pre-flown…

There are a few older slower Aspens that would be perfect for VFR… would probably drive you crazy to have to scan in IMC…

If you have something in mind… Alan takes requests… he is always hunting for good avionics…

Paul/GSXR has shown how patiently acquiring pre flown avionics can work to a pilot’s financial benefit…

I would like a used JPI 900/930 or an EI MVP…

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Actually if your plan is to be cheap and you dont care about an AP, what about a dynon system with 2 remote comms and a gps 175, or a gnc355?

I was just tossing that idea around last night

I'm still seriously thinking of going "Primary Airplane" and could use any or all of the "experimental"  avionics I think. 

Resale value is the least of my concerns as I feel I have "used up" this airplane over the last 23 years and 2,000+ hrs and  have gotten my monies worth out of it. 

If you want lowest cost, but new equipment, and to maintain the ability to fly “low threat” IFR, I think you nailed it with your first post. As a budget alternative to a big screen PFD, have you considered a panel mounted Aera 760? Only legal for VFR, but with an AV30 or equivalent as backup.....