GI-275 HSI Cost

The handwriting is on the wall that the 525A HSI is on its way out. In slaved made (is there a politically correct word I could use instead?) the heading drifts ten to twelve degrees, but while unslaved it keeps the heading very well, with the exception of normal precession.

My partners and I had a -275 ADI installed earlier this year and love it, so the natural progression is to follow up with a -275 HSI. My question is, what are people paying out there for just the HSI install with the A/P interface to a KAP 150? Naturally all prices are local, but what I'm looking for is to average it all out.

40 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

The handwriting is on the wall that the 525A HSI is on its way out. In slaved made (is there a politically correct word I could use instead?) the heading drifts ten to twelve degrees, but while unslaved it keeps the heading very well, with the exception of normal precession.

My partners and I had a -275 ADI installed earlier this year and love it, so the natural progression is to follow up with a -275 HSI. My question is, what are people paying out there for just the HSI install with the A/P interface to a KAP 150? Naturally all prices are local, but what I'm looking for is to average it all out.

I have a 525 hai on my shelf from a recent panel upgrade which was removed in good shape and can be had for cheap…

33 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I have a 525 hai on my shelf from a recent panel upgrade which was removed in good shape and can be had for cheap…

I do as well.  Also have the magnometer that goes with it.

28 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

I do as well.  Also have the magnometer that goes with it.

At this point I think that would be throwing good money after bad. While the used equipment may be had for a song, the cost for installation will still be a factor and at the end of the day, the old equipment will eventually fail.

• Like 1

I figured i'd also state that a G5 is compatible, and cheaper, if money is an issue. Its 2700 instead of 4300 for the gi275. Labout for the G5 is about 20 to 30 hours. I figure it would be about the same for the GI275.

Edited by Niko182

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

At this point I think that would be throwing good money after bad. While the used equipment may be had for a song, the cost for installation will still be a factor and at the end of the day, the old equipment will eventually fail.

A person could keep going on a song for years….then buy someone else’s song.  Rinse and repeat.

is it not a drop in replacement?  I dont know…

… but obviously I decided to upgrade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Yeah, I agree… just throwing out the option.  I bet there’s tons of these old ones just sitting around in peoples hangars and in avionics shops.  I would do a gi275 if you can swing it.  It’s gonna cost as much or more than the adi you did as it will need more connections to existing gi275 and autopilot.  I wouldn’t do a g5 just based on cutting the panel and square vs the round you already have.

Although… the g5 may fit in the large square cutout from the 525?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Not the responses I was expecting. As a matter of fact, not one person stepped up to volunteer how much they paid for their -275 install.

Sigh

Dear Sigh,

There are three (if not more variants) of the GI275. I have $5295, 3995 & 6095 variant (AI/HSI/EIS). As far as how long they took to install? If I read the estimate right it was 54 hours to install the AI/HSI (no further breakdown) and 68 hours to install the EIS. Should be ballpark.

-X

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Not the responses I was expecting. As a matter of fact, not one person stepped up to volunteer how much they paid for their -275 install.

Sigh

That's because I am still hoping you buy my 525!

Haha - no just kidding.  I don't know how to answer since I installed both at the same time and some other things too so I can't unravel the stand alone cost.  I bet there might be an Oshkosh season discount on the hardware if you can wait a couple of weeks.

Or you could low ball a stupid offer to me and I might take it and send you my 525.

If you had asked about a dual 275 install, I and others would have had some input.  Since labor for remove of the HSI, AI, remotes, wiring, pitot-static is all lumped together, my invoice won't give you what you want.  About $13.5 for both in South Carolina.

Just now, mike261 said:

yeah that...

We already had the vacuum removed with the install of the ADI, so that will be one less item to deal with. But getting real world pricing on this is going to be more difficult to pin down than I thought.

42 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

We already had the vacuum removed with the install of the ADI, so that will be one less item to deal with. But getting real world pricing on this is going to be more difficult to pin down than I thought.

Best way to get real world pricing is to go to the shop you want to install it. Ballpark comes from the peanut gallery. If you come here I can tell you what it would cost for 2 and an EIS and a GFC 500.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 8:25 AM, flyboy0681 said:

Sigh

Here is the quote I had to install (2) GI275's in my 75 F model. I replaced my KMA20 with a serviceable GMA347 they had when someone did a panel upgrade. I pulled the trigger, they are installed and I'm loving how they look. Next year I'll be installing the G500.

I had them upgrade my existing GTN650 to a new GTN650xi for an additional $3000. I was $19175 out the door then had to spring another $1250 for a annual database for the GTN and the new 275's - plus a one time $500 extra for the Synthetic Vision Upsell...I mean upgrade.Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 5.37.16 AM.png

IMG_0959.jpeg

Edited by 58Victor
Add the GTN Upgrade cost
  • Like 3

On 6/21/2021 at 11:45 AM, flyboy0681 said:

But getting real world pricing on this is going to be more difficult to pin down than I thought.

Why don’t you list the breakdown of what your group paid for the 275 AI instillation and we can probably give you a better estimate on what another trip to your local shop will cost. 

Meanwhile, I sent out ten requests to shops within 150 miles of my base and only received four replies. I think one of the (many) reasons that I did so well in my career is because even when my plate was full and I couldn't possibly take on another client, I always responded to requests for my service simply because I never knew when I would need to call on them should things have slowed down.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Meanwhile, I sent out ten requests to shops within 150 miles of my base and only received four replies. I think one of the (many) reasons that I did so well in my career is because even when my plate was full and I couldn't possibly take on another client, I always responded to requests for my service simply because I never knew when I would need to call on them should things have slowed down.

It's not limited to mechanics. Years ago we had a garage door issue. There was an overhead door contractor living in the same town. Did a lot of work. Made a service appointment but they never showed up. Didn't even call to cancel. We called to see what happened and the owner was blunt. He said he had more important things to do than out little job. 

One of our bigger recessions hit a few years later and they went bust. I can't imagine why.

Just now, midlifeflyer said:

It's not limited to mechanics. Years ago we had a garage door issue. There was an overhead door contractor living in the same town. Did a lot of work. Made a service appointment but they never showed up. Didn't even call to cancel. We called to see what happened and the owner was blunt. He said he had more important things to do than out little job. 

One of our bigger recessions hit a few years later and they went bust. I can't imagine why.

We have had exactly this problem with local contractors.  Year before last we had one of our large picture windows get broken by a flying stick from a storm.  We put duct tape all over it so it wouldn't fall apart entirely since its a 12' by 5' piece of glass.  We arranged to buy replacement glass and a contractor to install it 3 months out.  The guy never showed and when we queried he said, oh he got a bigger job.  Gee thanks.  If he had told us at least a few weeks/months before he was cancelling at least we could have arranged with someone else.  Instead we were forced to wait yet another 3 months until someone else became free.

There is a new just released software update for the GI275 that puts the change between GPSS and HDG steering on a higher menu but also it says it allows an external switch to do this.   I will likely want to do this - the external switch.  Has anyone looked into this?   Know what that switch is?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

Exactly my point.

31 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

There is a new just released software update for the GI275 that puts the change between GPSS and HDG steering on a higher menu but also it says it allows an external switch to do this.   I will likely want to do this - the external switch.  Has anyone looked into this?   Know what that switch is?

I had that software installed yesterday. It puts the HDG/GPSS on the top level menu when depressing and holding the AI knob. A switch would be nice - I was going to ask at Oshkosh 

B299215E-C063-4C68-A17A-3E286C6DE271.jpeg

• Like 2

Fly your plane to three reputable shops, within reasonable distance, and ask to speak with the owner or lead installer.  Ask them to quote you on the spot (both cost and availability). You can size up the operation, get a feel for the amount of knowledge the team has, and look at the quality/scope of the current projects they’re working on. Put the time in if you want results. 

Think about all the post we get a day on here for buying a new plane, starting a panel overhaul, etc. You yourself sent out requests to 10 shops.  They are probably getting blasted right now from tire kickers looking for cheap bids or people wanting work done RIGHT NOW.  There is a HUGE difference between making a commitment and not following through vs selectively culling through the inquiries. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2021 at 6:55 PM, flyboy0681 said:

If it takes you longer than 10 minutes to change out the remote gyro (KG-102A) you're doing something wrong. Over 5 years ago I sent mine up to Tulsa and it cost just over $300 for an optical alignment. It worked fine after that until i upgraded my panel.

If you want a GI-275 HSI go for it, but the remote gyro is the easiest of all things to swap out.

42 minutes ago, 58Victor said:

I had that software installed yesterday. It puts the HDG/GPSS on the top level menu when depressing and holding the AI knob. A switch would be nice - I was going to ask at Oshkosh 

B299215E-C063-4C68-A17A-3E286C6DE271.jpeg

Thanks - that does look like an improvement.

I would sooner a physical switch. Please do report what you might learn at Oshkosh.  I am most interested in how much work is involved to install such a switch.  Most of all - is it something that can be done in a few hours - or more.  I.e., would I need to drop off my plane rent a car and drive home and return a few days later to pick it up?  Or is it something that can be done in a few hours and I would wait since that is easier.  I can do useful work at the local cafe.

E