Fuel Tank Sealing Techniques…. Mike Patey Scrappy plane project…

carusoam

Looks like the description of Scrappy’s scrap may have evolved over time…

Some of the nice ideas included may add some or a touch of weight as well…

But, with a giant flat eight with nitrous… T/O distance probably won’t be a major hurdle…

:)

I did like the details of where the sealant goes…

Long bodies got the sealant in place as the wings were built in a similar fashion…

Using painters tape was an interesting sign that excess sealant everywhere isn’t needed… the end result looks really good… if something flakes off years later… it will be really obvious where it came from…

Where to put put anti-corrosion paint, and where not to was interesting to me…  as we have seen a couple of planes run into a corrosion challenge near the fuel bays…

PP interpretation of what I think I saw…

There wasn’t much Mooney in scrappy… except maybe the instrument panel…

T/O distance is going to be impressive…  it will probably be considered a rotary wing when it does a near vertical departure…  check out the prop blades to see what I mean…  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Hmmmmmmm…

Design for manufacturing…

Kind of a new topic in manufacturing over the decades…

Watching Mike measure how well he was putting in the rivets with a piece of paper… related to the various thickness changes along the length of the wing…

Are there any new riveting ideas, rivets, machines, or procedures available for somebody that is building hundreds of wings per year?

Sooo many tools have changed in the same time…. Wondering if there is something helpful here as well…

Especially when it takes two people to set some rivets… and tools get accidentally left inside the wing…

Best regards,

-a-

Rich,

You are THE man! :)

Thanks for the awesome answer….

I have installed some Kuka robots on manufacturing floors as well…

Getting them programmed to perform perfectly is interesting…

Once running… nothing but perfection after that…

Mechanics are getting to be electricians and software technicians… more and more every day…

Thank you and best regards,

-a-

• Like 1