My New Panel

My new panel is finally complete! I chose a G3X, 750XI, JPI 930, 355 and GFC-500. Carl at Sebastian Communications in Merritt Island did a great job. He really stands behind his work. I highly recommend them. I am still in the wow stage, I can't believe how great all the new stuff works . Learning to use everything was kind of a steep curve at first and I still have a ways to go until I am comfortable with all the  capabilities.   Putting Dad's signature on the panel finished it for me.

I want to sell all of the original equipment. Everything works and is in great shape, my plane is an 84 model with 2300 total time. I tried to post a add in the classified avionics section but was unable to. What do I have to do to use the classified? I made a donation still no luck.

Thanks

new panel .jpg

Mooney Panel Before and After.jpg

secondstack Dad.jpg

• Like 13

Way to go Speed!

Getting access takes about a day….  It isn’t an automated process quite yet…

Start taking pics of everything you have, front and back…

A signature series M20J signed by Roy Lopresti… that is a collectors item that should hold its value quite well…

Don’t let it sit in a vacuum chamber… it wants to fly.

I sent a message to our Board Manager… to see if we can Speed the process…

Awesome!

:)

Best regards,

-a- 

I also HIGHLY recommend Carl and Rick at Sebastian Communications.  They handled my panel upgrade from the original 1982 King panel about 5 years ago and last bi-annual we omitted the problematic vacuum pump and vacuum driven A/H for the Garmin G5.  After the learning curve, I know you will enjoy yours as much as I have and will also have much peace of mind while flying knowing you are state of the art. Happy flying! CB4BD26E-264F-4EC9-988C-FFD35978930B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b0e2329f71464b57ff2a461bb0ec3b0e.jpeg 

I also HIGHLY recommend Carl and Rick at Sebastian Communications.  They handled my panel upgrade from the original 1982 King panel about 5 years ago and last bi-annual we omitted the problematic vacuum pump and vacuum driven A/H for the Garmin G5.  After the learning curve, I know you will enjoy yours as much as I have and will also have much peace of mind while flying knowing you are state of the art. Happy flying!

I was wondering what the panel would look like if G5/JPI wasn’t flush mounted. Doesn’t look that bad, the G5 seems to have the largest bezel, but even with white background it doesn’t look to stick out too much.

On 6/19/2021 at 8:44 PM, MIm20c said:

This was a nicely executed upgrade. I really like the 750/355 combo. Everything you need with the proper backups. Agree with the above, one of the nicest J panels I’ve seen so far. 

Thanks -I thought the 355 would do everything I needed in a pinch and it saved a ton over the 650.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 12:27 AM, 201Mooniac said:

Curt,

Looks great, I'm glad you are happy with it.  I'm sure you will enjoy flying behind that panel with all the great capabilities.  I love that you got your dad's signature on there.

Adam

Yep-Roy goes with me on every flight!

• Like 2

On 6/20/2021 at 12:46 AM, carusoam said:

Way to go Speed!

A signature series M20J signed by Roy Lopresti… that is a collectors item that should hold its value quite well…

Awesome!

Best regards,

-a- 

Thanks I am putting the add together now-appreciate your help.

On 6/20/2021 at 12:46 AM, carusoam said:

Way to go Speed!

Awesome!

Best regards,

-a- 

Thanks! It is and will get flown a lot. Roy is with me in spirit on each flight. Hopefully I will get the ad done tomorrow.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2021 at 9:26 AM, topsun1 said:

I also HIGHLY recommend Carl and Rick at Sebastian Communications.  They handled my panel upgrade from the original 1982 King panel about 5 years ago and last bi-annual we omitted the problematic vacuum pump and vacuum driven A/H for the Garmin G5.  After the learning curve, I know you will enjoy yours as much as I have and will also have much peace of mind while flying knowing you are state of the art. Happy flying! CB4BD26E-264F-4EC9-988C-FFD35978930B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b0e2329f71464b57ff2a461bb0ec3b0e.jpeg 

Thanks! I like your panel too. 231s are awesome. I never thought I would have an autopilot that would fly the missed approach and enter the hold on its own-pretty amazing.

On 6/20/2021 at 10:29 AM, ArtVandelay said:

I was wondering what the panel would look like if G5/JPI wasn’t flush mounted. Doesn’t look that bad, the G5 seems to have the largest bezel, but even with white background it doesn’t look to stick out too much.

Fitting the 930 and G3X in the panel was tight. The panel may look white but it is actually a gray blue to match the light blue color of my plane.

1 hour ago, Speed Merchant said:

Fitting the 930 and G3X in the panel was tight. The panel may look white but it is actually a gray blue to match the light blue color of my plane.

You won't regret having the 930.  I "upgraded" from the 900 less than a year ago.  Although the 930 really just gave me more real estate, the readability of the display versus the 900 is far superior.  The upgrade cost was reasonable as well...JPI was running a special.  They gave me more for my 900 than I originally paid a few years ago, as well as a nice break on the 930 hardware.  My shop helped a bit also with the labor and panel cuts, etc., and after all was done, I doubt I was into the 930 - all in - for any more than around $1200.

5 hours ago, Speed Merchant said:

Yep-Roy goes with me on every flight!

I think Roy is with all of us J owners on every flight in terms of his brilliant design that makes it a J.

Congratulations on a beautiful panel, Curt.

Can I please ask, what type of switches are those underneath the G3X?

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 7:26 PM, Mooney in Oz said:

I think Roy is with all of us J owners on every flight in terms of his brilliant design that makes it a J.

Congratulations on a beautiful panel, Curt.

Can I please ask, what type of switches are those underneath the G3X?

Thanks for the comments. They mil spec toggle circuit breaker with switch guards. They will outlast me. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 12:27 AM, 201Mooniac said:

Curt,

Looks great, I'm glad you are happy with it.  I'm sure you will enjoy flying behind that panel with all the great capabilities.  I love that you got your dad's signature on there.

Adam

Thanks Adam- I am amazed the new gear all works so well. I am running out of stuff to do on the plane though! Paint and interior in the future.

Curt

4 hours ago, Speed Merchant said:

Thanks Adam- I am amazed the new gear all works so well. I am running out of stuff to do on the plane though! Paint and interior in the future.

Curt

:)  I never seem to run out of things to spend money on for the plane.