Considering a Mooney

Ladies and gentlemen, 

Good afternoon. I am new to flying (25 hours) and I work with my CFI. I’ve been using some good Army money for my instruction, but that has run out and I’m now spending my money. As such, I have been thinking about buying my own plane and finishing my instruction and instrument eating in my own plane. I found a 1976 Mooney M20C with only 2400TT hours for $76,000, and I’m wondering how you guys feel about that price for that year. It is IFR certified and has 600 hours SMOH. I live in VA and the plane is in Charleston, so I’d also like any advice on whom I could get in the local area to take a look at it with me. Thanks all and I look forward to hearing back from anyone willing to assist. 

vr 

HG2008

5 hours ago, Harleyguy2008 said:

Ladies and gentlemen, 

Good afternoon. I am new to flying (25 hours) and I work with my CFI. I’ve been using some good Army money for my instruction, but that has run out and I’m now spending my money. As such, I have been thinking about buying my own plane and finishing my instruction and instrument eating in my own plane. I found a 1976 Mooney M20C with only 2400TT hours for $76,000, and I’m wondering how you guys feel about that price for that year. It is IFR certified and has 600 hours SMOH. I live in VA and the plane is in Charleston, so I’d also like any advice on whom I could get in the local area to take a look at it with me. Thanks all and I look forward to hearing back from anyone willing to assist. 

vr 

HG2008

Unfortunately the price of vintage Mooneys have gone up dramatically.  I fly a 1974 C out of Fredericksburg, VA and love it.  The later model C's have electric gear and a reliable O360 A1D engine.  Good luck with your search.  Lots of Mooney's in our area and some good CFI's for transition training.  The Mooney is a complex aircraft, will require an endorsement and will cost a new pilot alot for insurance.  Good luck!

Welcome aboard Harley…

Good news/bad news…

Start with the good…

An M20C makes a great instrument platform…

Finish with the other good news…

The lowest cost flight training uses a trainer airplane…

Learning to fly in a Mooney doesn’t usually speed the process or make it less costly… or make it easier…

So finish that flight training while looking for the right M20C…

Don’t hold off… if that M20C is the right one for you… flying an M20C is usually a great plane right after you have the PPL…

And…

Thank you for your service…  we have many MSers with military experience…  :)

Best regards,

-a-