Brakes locking up

M20A. Ever since I got my plan if I turn the nosewheel too far it seemed like the brakes would lock up some and get hard to push. Easy fix, don't turn so sharp. Last year at annual my mechanic asked about it. This year after getting it back from annual it's even worse. I did get all new tires and tubes but that shouldn't do anything. 

I'm not even actually sure that its the brakes locking up. But it feels like it and it is even harder to push now than it was before. 

Anyone have any experience with this. Thoughts on where to start.

Last I head of that and it may not have been a Mooney, but something was interfering with the master cylinders when the nose wheel was turned.

‘I remember the belly pan was removed and a inspection of what was going on was apparent.

Sorry I can’t be more specific, one of those things you remember, but not the details.

• Thanks 1

There’s another thread from a few months ago. Remove the left exhaust cavity and have someone swing the nose wheel back and forth with a towbar (easier if you put it on jacks) and look to see what is causing the master cylinder to actuate.

Skip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"M20A. Ever since I got my plan if I turn the nosewheel too far it seemed like the brakes would lock up some and get hard to push."  Sounds like the rudder pedal and brake linkages are binding up and not returning to a neutral position.  Definitely drop the left exhaust well and check, lubricate all of the associated linkages, bearings and Heim joints.  There are a lot of interconnecting pieces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 59Moonster said:

Dumb question. What is the exhaust cavity? I've had the cowling off and can see all of the exhaust system but not sure where that is or where the master cylinder is located. 

Thanks for the help. 

It’s the panel directly above the exhaust exit.  However, in this case it’s the one on the pilot’s side, so no exhaust.  It’s just behind the cowl flaps, directly below the rudder pedals.  It’s concave.  You’ll find the master cylinder in there.  In the last thread, they found something interfering with the brakes near the master cylinder when they turned the nose wheel.

• Like 2

Dumb question. What is the exhaust cavity? I've had the cowling off and can see all of the exhaust system but not sure where that is or where the master cylinder is located. 
Thanks for the help. 

As Mike mentioned above, look real carefully at the Heim joints and all of the rudder connections around the masters. With a pilot side only brake system, both of your masters will be attached to the rudder pedals in very close proximity to the actual rudder push rods. Make sure nothing is touching when the nose wheel is turned.

7e10e5a1deb08871fa5b17be0e46bb55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1