LED advice

I need some advice.  Which LED nav/ strobe light have you guys installed on a 1981 J model?  This one has separate nav lights and separate strobe light in each wing tip.

Im looking at the Whelen Orion series, either 650 or 650E.

Clarence

Are you replacing the Hoskins in enclosed wingtips? I don't remember when the 201 went to those tips.

I put 650E's in my 231, I had to make an adapter plate that shifted the holes around to keep them from contacting the lens.

12 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Yes, this one has the SDI Hoskins flash tube.  I’m trying to find out if the 650E fits under the Mooney lens.

Clarence

the 650E lights fit under the stock wingtips. Don't know about LASAR wingtips. I like them a lot. They are very bright. I got them to fit without making an add on plate.

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I need some advice.  Which LED nav/ strobe light have you guys installed on a 1981 J model?  This one has separate nav lights and separate strobe light in each wing tip.

Clarence

The Whelens are top-shelf equipment.  Wouldn’t trade mine for anything.

Yes, this one has the SDI Hoskins flash tube.  I’m trying to find out if the 650E fits under the Mooney lens.

Clarence

I'll try to remember to take some pictures tomorrow, the 650e needs to be tilted down a little just like a later Mooney with Whelen strobes.

I installed a set in an '06 Ovation as well and they dropped right in with just enough clearance.

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

Here are some pics that might help. I Just received mine in the mail and am hoping to install them on Saturday. Im pretty sure my wingtips are genuine Mooney.

James @OSUAV8TER was very helpful and shipped them super fast.

These are OR6501GE and OR6501RE 

72D002E5-4223-4D83-BACD-4FB5732AECE5.jpeg

98F2BFF8-AD95-4D3D-9C10-9CD1525E887F.jpeg

2459F421-1FB8-4A3C-AFFE-00192EC5DDC9.jpeg

5FEEF7F6-EEA3-407D-B3EC-E0E5EF953ABD.jpeg

Edited by Eight8Victor
  • Like 2

@M20Docyou need the Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) Orion 650E. If you have a 14V electrical system you need the OR6501GE and the OR6501RE. If you have a 28V electrical system you need the OR6502GE and the OR6502RE. If you want to do your tail light (assuming it has not been done already) you need the Orion 500, which is a white LED strobe light with a white LED nav light embedded in it. They are OR5001V and OR5002V respectively for 14V and 28V. I have the Orion 650Es for $479.99 a side and the Orion 500 for $399.99. That is the best price out there. I am a WAT authorized dealer and I have these in stock. Shoot me a PM, email (gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com), give me a call (1-833-425-5288), or check out my website (www.gallagheraviationllc.com)

IMG_0536.JPG.6434987813ba46a9045218ff5af1fcc1.thumb.jpg.1974a284f10bc107af4659ecd65df5e5.jpg7c63667c257ed7a126b1b08ca7dc8652.thumb.jpg.478642e7aadebef81177e9f29be709c1.jpg650EC_720x.png.e193e15e21690f134a444c8a85a129da.png

The pictures OSUAV8TER posted are from an aircraft that already had Whelens so the hole pattern was the same. With the Hoskins lights you need to fab a new adapter plate, in this picture you can see where the original screws are in relation to the new position of the 650E.

PXL_20210616_130054420.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 3:28 PM, M20Doc said:

Clarence

Hi Clarence--

I have an '86 J, but I had the separate nav and strobe lights in each wingtip.  I have the 650E's installed like @N231BN above, but my adapter looks a little different.

Please realize with the whelen (and likely other LED brands) your announciator lights will not go full bright when the nav lights are off.   It depends on a back feed from the nav lights when not energized.

one solution is to have a small relay grounding the (-) input

this is documented in other posts if you search for it

Please realize with the whelen (and likely other LED brands) your announciator lights will not go full bright when the nav lights are off.   It depends on a back feed from the nav lights when not energized.
I took the dimmer wire off the nav light switch and ran it to ground through a mini toggle labeled "Day/Night", this way I can run the Nav lights full time if I wish and still see the gear lights.

6 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

Any chance of posting a link?

6 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

Some have reported not having this problem. I suspect they left the wingtip white tail lights installed (I don’t think Whelen has an LED replacement for those) which preserves a current path through the filaments for the annunciator. 

Skip

• Like 1

19 hours ago, carusoam said:

db, that looks nicely integrated!

Did that take extra work?

Best regards,

-a-

Yeah those thermo-formed sheets of plastic behind the nav lights the plane comes with just look like such garbage. I wanted to replace those, also it bugged me how it didn't hide the inside of the wing outboard. 

Took a good amount of work to make those new covers, I don't have a 3D scanner, so I just kept measuring with calipers, 3D printing something and revising it. I think it took 9-10 rounds of prints, but finally got it there. Luckily the printer did most of the work ;)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, N231BN said:
15 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

I took the dimmer wire off the nav light switch and ran it to ground through a mini toggle labeled "Day/Night", this way I can run the Nav lights full time if I wish and still see the gear lights.

Ah good idea, I need to get that done next time I am in the avionics shop, that nav light dimming always drives me crazy.