Looking for KS179

I just had all my AP servos cleaned and checked as parts are becoming VERY scarce. 

I had a little jitter in my pitch servo after my panel upgrade (and the plane sitting for a long time).  Initial thought was the new Aspen needed adjustment, but the shop was adamant that the servo should be pulled before adjusting the Aspen.  Turned out to be full of carbon, but no rebuild needed, just servicing.  That's when he told me that with the shortage of parts, now is the time to have all the servos checked as sometimes it's just carbon build up and other times minor preventative maintenance can be done before a total rebuild is needed.

Other note he had was that he's had a lot of people try to buy servos online to replace their defective ones.  Doesn't work and they come in for him for repairs.  He then discover that they bought the wrong Part# and he cannot legally put the servo back in the plane, even if he can fix it.

Cost a few hundred each vs. the thousands for the rebuild with current price of parts if you can find them.  He recommended they should be pulled every so often (5 years or so) when the planes already in for something just to be looked at to majorly extend the servos life.  I think I've had one replaced years ago but otherwise never pulled any of them and they were all were full of carbon.  But still appear to have plenty of life in them now that they're cleaned up.

• Like 1