MT Prop Swap

RiddleTag

Hey fellow MS’ers, got another few questions for y’all.  Just got my overhaul of the TIO-540 done and avionics done in 63W.  I am now thinking about ordering a new MT prop for it. The stocker is looking pretty rough and I thought this would be a nice upgrade.  Here are my questions:

1.  I have seen some good praise of the 4 blade prop for the Bravo.  Does anyone have a reason why this wouldn’t be a good upgrade?  Maybe some experience or customer service issues?  I am definitely getting the nickel leading edges as they seem to be the way to go.

2.  I am being quoted just under 20k for the prop, spinner, TKS nozzles and the nickel leading edges.  Does this seem to be about right or should I keep shopping around?  John at Mcfarlane Aviation is the one I am working with.

3.  I am being told since this prop is being ordered, I can pick which color I want for it.  I am leaning toward a black prop with the white tips, but am open to seeing what others have done before I make the final decision.  Pics would be a plus.  I am kinda bummed that they don’t have a polished spinner option as I like that look on this plane.

Thanks in advance for the advice/opinions.

John at McFarlane is great to work with. However, They use RL carriers for shipping- they suck in LA. I ended up hiring buddy of mine with a moving company to pick it up on the last leg of the trip. The prop I ordered took 9mo to get when promised 6mo. They drop ship directly from Germany. 
The paint issues are much better with MT now days. I would get white as painting composite black is still not a good idea. I’ve heard good things regarding performance from their latest blade designed. 
-Matt

There don’t seem to be any outstanding complaints by people that own MT props…

Early on… the choice of leading edge protection was challenging…. Nickel seems to be the final word… Paint wouldn’t stick very well…. And had a tendency to peal back from the leading edge…

But… that was about a decade ago…

Getting a prop built takes months… no matter what the production schedule has in front of you…

Around here there is a handful of MT props on everything from Cs, to Js, to Rockets, to Bravos…

They look cool… P51 cool…

They are great for WnB…  both the W and the B…  you might free up some Charlie weight in the trunk.

The lower flywheel momentum is different but not an issue…

They are used on turbines as well… 

They sound vastly different to the outside world…

Four vs. three blades… there is more drag with the extra blade.  Which counts when flying around in high density air…  Most Bravos don’t hang out very long in high density air…  the MT is pretty good at climbing as well…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

The only reason the four blade exists is to satisfy European noise requirements. The smaller diameter reduces the tip speed and thereby lowers the noise output. Most props optimized for the flight levels have wide, scimitar style blades. The MT four blade does not. 

@Niko182I have heard the same thing about the weight savings.  Heck, if I can put this thing on more of a diet then I already have and shift the CG more aft to take full advantage of the Max Gross Weight, then I’m all for it.

@carusoamI agree with the looks.  I saw a Bravo the other day on the ground and it immediately caught my attention.  Damn good looking if you ask me.  Also, if it ends up being a little quieter, that would be great!  This thing is quite noisy.  Lastly, I’m hoping that it smooths out the vibration the plane has a bit.  Make those long cross countries a little more comfortable.

Thanks for the comments so far guys.  Keep ‘em coming!

• Like 1

Are the cruise airspeeds identical for the factory 3 blade McCauley versus 4 blade MT?  How much quieter is the cabin?  I agree, anything at all that can provide a few more useful load pounds and shift the CG back for a M is worth consideration.  Can anyone with a MT prop on a Bravo report how much farther back their CG went?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Cline said:

Are the cruise airspeeds identical for the factory 3 blade McCauley versus 4 blade MT?  How much quieter is the cabin?  I agree, anything at all that can provide a few more useful load pounds and shift the CG back for a M is worth consideration.  Can anyone with a MT prop on a Bravo report how much farther back their CG went?  

If you're justifying $20,000 for an extra 10 lbs. useful load, try the low carb diet . . lol

• Like 2

those are rare. I put a set of 5 blade MT's on a friend's Cheyenne 400 in 2012. It was only the third set in existence at that time. There were only 44 400's built and I think there are 38 left flying. The MT props cost less than the overhaul of the Dowty 4 blades, and the performance was much better, with a reduced noise signature. 

In the nine years in service, the MT 5 blades on this Cheyenne 400 have been trouble free. I wish I could say that about all other MT props, which have a reputation for leaks.

Edited by philiplane