My Fresh IO 360 A1A

My 1100 hour IO 360 was sorted and running great when last August at Annual it showed metal in the filter.  When I saw that I was perfectly willing to pull a cylinder and look around.  All that revealed was a very slight line of corrosion on a cam lobe, but we couldn’t see the front lobes as well as the rear where we pulled the cylinder.  My IA mechanic recommended flying it 15 hours and sending off an oil sample since we had not taken a sample at the annual.  I did that and the sample showed iron.  We agreed to start tearing it apart.  Cylinders came off and revealed two front lifters spalled.  Thought it could get cam and lifters and go back together good to go.  Kept peeling the onion and found worn bearings and the crankshaft and case didn’t look great, so time to overhaul.

I took the crankshaft, rods and other parts to Aircraftspecialties and the case to CSI.  Sent mags to Missoula, MT.  The lead times on both exceeded 8 weeks.  I took the wide deck cylinders to Sal in Prosper, Texas.  (if you go to Sal’s you won’t be able to leave until he shows you his pristine 1957, 270 HP Vette that he’s owned since he was 17 in 1961). 

The crankshaft had to be plated and machined and ended up .003 under.  The case came out wonderful.  The mags were back in short order.  I was on waiting lists all over trying to get the new DLC coated lifters.  It was beginning to look like I would have to put it back together without them when David at Aircraftspecialties came through with a set and a Lycoming cam.

Sal thought the cylinders would work out well and I was glad because they’re tough to get new right now.  They were nickel so he had to send them out to certify the nickel.  He was calling them low time cylinders and said they came out great.

They got it all back together and started it Thursday with only one full revolution.  It really sounds great, but there was silicone seal on a baffle that he wanted to cure before I flew it.  My schedule won’t permit flying it until Tuesday.  Cant wait.  If you see a plane flying racetracks above KOSA Tuesday, that will be me.  I expect to get it tested and run in before our family traditional get together in Galveston for July 4th.

There were lots of things that I got sorted on this plane before all this.  It think it will now be a great plane!

• Like 6

Where did you end up finding the lifters?  I haven’t seen any metal in mine yet but the gentleman I bought my (300 SMOH) F model from was only putting around 30 hours annually on it.  Always feeling that spalling is looming. Sounds like you have a good plan for your overhaul  

Robert

David at Aircraftspecialties in Tulsa.  He apparently is always ordering them and waiting on them.  He is a young guy in the parts section.  He knows his business, easy to deal with and very customer focused.  It will probably take some time, but call him and talk to him.  He will get them as soon as he can.

Flew one round and came in for a cursory check.  Ran perfect with good vitals.  No leaks, no smoke and no smell.  Then went above the airport for an hour still running perfect, sounding perfect and feeling perfect.  They decowled it to adjust prop governor and change relief valve shims.  Oil pressure was at the bottom of the green.  Just some final tweaking.

By all indications at this point, I think it will be a great engine.

• Like 1

My Moms name and my wife’s Moms name were both Joyce.  The C I had previously was named Joyce.  After I hurt my shoulder and couldn’t handle the gear any longer I got this one, so we named her Re-Joyce.  In our minds, Rejoice also enters the equation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

My Moms name and my wife’s Moms name were both Joyce.  The C I had previously was named Joyce.  After I hurt my shoulder and couldn’t handle the gear any longer I got this one, so we named her Re-Joyce.  In our minds, Rejoice also enters the equation.

It's also a "friendlier" name than Miss Piggy . . . . .  ;)

I have 5.3 tach time on it now.  The only thing not really right is that it is very difficult to hot start.  Thinking we might should have done the fuel system even though it was done just before I got the plane.

It flies strong and has only used one quart of oil.

Seems every fuel injected Lycoming starts differently when warm, you’ll figure out what it wants, I just can’t bring myself to say hot start.

‘New engines that I have broken in burned very little oil as well and oil consumption stabilized quickly, even the radials.

To some extent I think those that have issues just can’t bring themselves to “abuse” the new motor  

‘Mine for some bizarre reason starts fine full rich and no prime, power set for 1,000 RPM, most seem to require some prime, full lean and full throttle.

Edited by A64Pilot

It's been posted here before (sorry, too lazy to look), but ever since adopting Don Maxwell's 'hot start' technique I've never had a problem.  Works well regardless of how long it's been since shutdown (common sense: obviously not true after a couple of hours!)