Nose gear door too short?

Gents.  I've been chasing down a slight vibration and my attention is currently on the nose gear doors.  I'm installing new heim joints for the retract links but the length of the doors caught my eye.  The aft portion of both doors extend over the belly 2-3 inches but the front of the gear doors don's sit on anything...  Their just in the wheel well hanging from the retract links.  Shouldn't the front of the doors overlap on the lower cowl?

And yes, I know my one door is bent and not aligned properly.  These photos were in the middle of the repairs.  I also know that these doors are getting to the end of life...  I'm hoping to squeeze a few more years out of them.

PXL_20201226_221916482.thumb.jpg.12b4bd91006e83ef23361e1c1d236e35.jpgPXL_20201226_221849364.thumb.jpg.f6df0fcce556f9a821186f060483e375.jpg

You can see by the witness marks where they used to go. Also the four new rivets are probably supposed to be flush rivets. New doors are very expensive, I would see if you can find a used set or just patch those.

See if other MS'rs can send pictures of theirs for comparison.

The gear doors are trimmed back about an inch and a half up front ,  Those "Rivets" are screws , and are "supposed " to be countersunk ,  I have used doors , but they are 2 grand a set... I have new doors , at 2500 a set  The new doors , are overlapping doors

geardoors.jpg

geardoors1.jpg

gear doors new.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 10:37 AM, Alan Fox said:

The new doors , are overlapping doors

Other than the over lapping doors being newer and sexier.  What's the benefit with the overlapping doors competed to the old style?

10 knots faster? reduce fuel burn by half? gain 2 inches?.. (manifold pressure you pervs)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyingchump said:

Other than the over lapping doors being newer and sexier.  What's the benefit with the overlapping doors competed to the old style?

10 knots faster? reduce fuel burn by half? gain 2 inches?.. (manifold pressure you pervs)

Warm fuzzy feeling , of pretty much nothing...

On 6/15/2021 at 4:54 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

Since I rebuilt my engine, which appears to be leak free, I’ll have to pay more attention to nose gear lubrications.

You only have to lubricate once ! Because then the engine leaks again and it does the job by itself.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, flyingchump said:

Overlapping doors are easier to fit, if they overlap 1” and your doors are mounted a half inch further apart than spec, they still overlap a 1/2”, flush doors would have a 1/2” gap

They should also be easier to get a tight fit, and it appears they would be easier to manufacture as they may only require pressing whereas it appears just from the picture that the flush doors have a roll formed edge.

19 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

Warm fuzzy feeling , of pretty much nothing...

I’d have a warm fuzzy feeling if you’d sell me those overlapping doors for a $100!

Clarence

On 6/15/2021 at 6:00 PM, flyingchump said:

If you don’t keep a good anti-chafe tape on them, the overlap area rubs and thins the metal.