GI-275 synthetic vision

RobertGary1

2 hours ago, Niko182 said:

...when a controller accidentally turned us towards terrain...

I bet it won't be too long until the SV costs start to drop.  Big marketing BUZZ right now, but eventually it will drop just like the latest Android or iPhones do a few months after they come out.

I've got multiple maps/displays with my current panel and think I've settled on my go-to enroute configuration, which covers Terrain issues.  Aspen is just in the regular FD and HSI, SV is not turned on.  GI275 is in Traffice mode.  GTN switches around from Map to Flight Plan as needed.  And... I have a GNC355 as a backup GPS and Comm2, but that display lives on the Terrain screen. 

Flying around the NYC area it really doesn't show much.  But for flights to the north or on cross US flights having this configuration may come in handy if that controller turns me the wrong way.

12 hours ago, PeteMc said:

I bet it won't be too long until the SV costs start to drop.  Big marketing BUZZ right now, but eventually it will drop just like the latest Android or iPhones do a few months after they come out.

I've got multiple maps/displays with my current panel and think I've settled on my go-to enroute configuration, which covers Terrain issues.  Aspen is just in the regular FD and HSI, SV is not turned on.  GI275 is in Traffice mode.  GTN switches around from Map to Flight Plan as needed.  And... I have a GNC355 as a backup GPS and Comm2, but that display lives on the Terrain screen. 

Flying around the NYC area it really doesn't show much.  But for flights to the north or on cross US flights having this configuration may come in handy if that controller turns me the wrong way.

It’s only $500 now. Maybe a temporary sale though. 

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

It’s only $500 now. Maybe a temporary sale though. 

They dropped the AoA to $500 a while ago too.  Guess they figured out people were not going for those options at the higher prices. 

Gotta recoup those development cost somehow...  :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

They dropped the AoA to $500 a while ago too.  Guess they figured out people were not going for those options at the higher prices. 

Gotta recoup those development cost somehow...  :D

Nah - I think they have a pricing strategy that involves first posting at $1k to soak up all those people who are willing to pay higher immediately.  Then when those immediate sales slow down a bit they lower the price.  I got it for $500.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Nah - I think they have a pricing strategy that involves first posting at $1k to soak up all those people who are willing to pay higher immediately.  Then when those immediate sales slow down a bit they lower the price.  I got it for $500.

Makes sense. Some pay for the latest iPhone some buy the older version. 

Some genius in Marketing has figured out the strategy to get more from the people that enjoy the bleeding edge of technology…

As supply lines come up to speed… the next crop of buyers are ready to purchase when all the bugs have been worked out including the real price…

Pp thoughts only, not a mass marketing expert…

Best regards,

-a-

One price that is not dropping is the price of data bases and updates.  And those that said the price of SV hardware is dropping are probably right.  It's like the market evolution of TVs.  Think of the current version of SV as "SD"...Standard Definition.  I bet someone will soon be introducing a version of enhanced SV...think of it as "HD".  And it will require you to buy a larger more costly data base to drive it.  And after you spend your wad on "HD" then there will be 2K and 4K and 8K and ..... each enhancement like a siren song inviting you to spend a pile on.  And each one requiring more and more data that you must purchase.  And as each enhanced version/new design is introduced the price of current model equipment drops.  This isn't like the old days where you could spend a lot on a King Silver Crown stack and expect that it would last the life of the plane without further investment (only repair). 

Edited by 1980Mooney

11 hours ago, 1980Mooney said:

One price that is not dropping is the price of data bases and updates.  And those that said the price of SV hardware is dropping are probably right.  It's like the market evolution of TVs.  Think of the current version of SV as "SD"...Standard Definition.  I bet someone will soon be introducing a version of enhanced SV...think of it as "HD".  And it will require you to buy a larger more costly data base to drive it.  And after you spend your wad on "HD" then there will be 2K and 4K and 8K and ..... each enhancement like a siren song inviting you to spend a pile on.  And each one requiring more and more data that you must purchase.  And as each enhanced version/new design is introduced the price of current model equipment drops.  This isn't like the old days where you could spend a lot on a King Silver Crown stack and expect that it would last the life of the plane without further investment (only repair). 

The base maps for Dynon Skyview are included.   So that is a pretty good cost savings say over 10 years.   Your point is valid.

Speaking of old technology that aged before it got to market…

One of the highlights of the BK KSN770 was its SVGA screen….

That was considered HD somewhere around 1990…

Current screen technology… Is just about a match for the Mark I eyeball In dpi (dots per inch)….   :)

hard to believe stuff keeps getting better…

Best regards,

-a-

On 6/17/2021 at 11:12 AM, carusoam said:

Current screen technology… Is just about a match for the Mark I eyeball In dpi (dots per inch)….   :)

Best regards,

-a-

This is what Garmin, Aspen, Avidyne and BendixKing and others have us doing…

Edited by 1980Mooney

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

I have been generally quite impressed with how the garmin 430 has had a 20 year lifespan and while I would not go buy one today, I would be perfectly happy using one if it were still in my panel.

I did upgrade my 430w to a gtn650 about 4 years ago when my 430w had a screen issue, and rather than repair it I traded it in.  It still had good residual value.  I might have been still using it today otherwise.

So it is my hope with my new GI275, brand new tech today, and surely there will be something better in 5 years that I won't likely get just to have the latest and greatest.  I could imagine that the GI275 could be still chugging along in 15 years even if it is no longer latest and greatest.

But will avgas be available in 15 years?

• Like 1

Here is a great picture that illustrates why SVT is IMHO a nice shiny toy but of limited value. I hope @Ulysse doesn’t mind me sharing this picture of his beautiful Encore panel. Take a look at the terrain display on the GTN750. If you were flying in marginal VFR and decided that things were getting a little too marginal, which direction do you definitely NOT want to turn? Now look at the SVT display on the G3X and ask the same question. Now shrink that display to the area between the speed an altitude tapes, as in an Aspen, or a circle the diameter of the bank indicators, as in GI275.

Even the big SVT display on the G3X gives me zero SA on what the terrain looks like off my left wing. An Aspen or GI even less. The terrain map on the 750, on the other hand, gives me instant 360 degree SA. That I would pay for; SVT, only if it is free or really cheap. I have SVT on my Aspen (it was free) and hardly ever bother to turn it on except to show someone the novelty of seeing the runway as we taxi on to it.

68E13588-CB68-4B68-AEEF-20F8B746C9EF.thumb.jpeg.a6832071de65d76a7ef2a48bd0d6717b.jpeg

• Like 1