Anyone interested in evaluating a Mooney central Florida ?

Define Central Fl.

‘I’m in Weirsdale which is just under Ocala, and next to the Villages.

‘I’m not current on my IA, so I can’t do an Annual, be another month or so before I get my IA back. But we can certainly give it a look see to determine if it’s worth putting money into it pre-buy wise.

2 hours ago, patriot3300 said:

Greetings Mooniacs,I am looking for a individual who could put eyeballs on a Mooney in central Florida and give me an honest opinion as to whether it’s worth serious consideration in which case I will make the trip personally.

Thank you in advance !

Stuart

I live at the creek near Daytona

11 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

Define Central Fl.

‘I’m in Weirsdale which is just under Ocala, and next to the Villages.

‘I’m not current on my IA, so I can’t do an Annual, be another month or so before I get my IA back. But we can certainly give it a look see to determine if it’s worth putting money into it pre-buy wise.

Weirsdale, Loves Landing?

Clarence

6 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

I hear in Florida it rains salt grains like a giant with a salt shaker, and when it DOES rain water it’s red from all the rust that evaporated in it

Fl can be bad, mostly near the coast. just as a general statement I’d say avoid Fl airplanes, I learned early in my search don’t even go see the ones that have been tied out, waste of time, even the ones with what would seem to be good traits like new paint in the last few years and interior etc.

Of course it’s my opinion that aircraft tied down outside age about three times as fast as ones in a good hanger.

‘I went to see a 90’s J in Naples. recent P&I, engine and prop less than mid time. When I got there to see the airplane I didn’t even give it’s good look, it was obvious that in my opinion you couldn’t make it airworthy, looked under the wheel wells and there were holes in the liners from corrosion.

Saving on hanger rent for 10 years cost that guy at least $100,000.

However if you have a nice hanger you can climate control it, mine right now has a 70 pint dehumidifier running in it and it’s set to turn off at 50% RH, it keeps the humidity in the mid 50’s, even on rainy days it stays in the 60’s.

‘But a dehumidifier adds heat to the air as it’s just an AC with the evaporator and condenser in the airflow. So this month I bought a 2 ton mini-split for $1,000 and will start installing it next week. I believe if I set it for mid to upper 80’s temps it will keep the hanger cool and dry.

‘I have a thing about corrosion, it’s what kills airplanes, they often survive wrecks and gear ups etc, but not corrosion. 1960’s Airworthy Mooney’s are not uncommon, because they were kept corrosion free. I have a 1946 Cessna, I intend for it to survive me, see I’m just it’s keeper for a time is the way I look at it.

9 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

I hear in Florida it rains salt grains like a giant with a salt shaker, and when it DOES rain water it’s red from all the rust that evaporated in it

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

Fl can be bad, mostly near the coast. just as a general statement I’d say avoid Fl airplanes, I learned early in my search don’t even go see the ones that have been tied out, waste of time, even the ones with what would seem to be good traits like new paint in the last few years and interior etc.

Of course it’s my opinion that aircraft tied down outside age about three times as fast as ones in a good hanger.

‘I went to see a 90’s J in Naples. recent P&I, engine and prop less than mid time. When I got there to see the airplane I didn’t even give it’s good look, it was obvious that in my opinion you couldn’t make it airworthy, looked under the wheel wells and there were holes in the liners from corrosion.

However if you have a nice hanger you can climate control it, mine right now has a 70 pint dehumidifier running in it and it’s set to turn off at 50% RH, it keeps the humidity in the mid 50’s, even on rainy days it stays in the 60’s.

‘But a dehumidifier adds heat to the air as it’s just an AC with the evaporator and condenser in the airflow. So this month I bought a 2 ton mini-split for $1,000 and will start installing it next week. I believe if I set it for mid to upper 80’s temps it will keep the hanger cool and dry.

‘I have a thing about corrosion, it’s what kills airplanes, they often survive wrecks and gear ups etc, but not corrosion. 1960’s Airworthy Mooney’s are not uncommon, because they were kept corrosion free. I have a 1946 Cessna, I intend for it to survive me, see I’m just it’s keeper for a time is the way I look at it.

Didn’t I meet you guys at the Sales Prevention team meeting? :)

Some people, new to the forum, may not get your dry(?) sense of humor...

I’m enjoying it...  but I already have my plane...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

Blah blah blah

Blah blah blah 

It’s my opinion that your opinion is wrong. 

here in S Fl a crappy hangar is 750-900/month. After 10 years the difference you stated “it cost him” is a rounding error. 

4 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

But a dehumidifier adds heat to the air as it’s just an AC with the evaporator and condenser in the airflow. So this month I bought a 2 ton mini-split for $1,000 and will start installing it next week. I believe if I set it for mid to upper 80’s temps it will keep the hanger cool and dry.

This may work if the hangar is an airtight-ish building… at our SGI home, when we are not there, the thermostats are all set to 85*.  Once a week, all three drive the temp down to 70* and then reset to 85.  It’s said to be as good as holding a lower temp for wringing out the humidity.  We are recording levels to see if true.  Does use a lot less power.

-de

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Didn’t I meet you guys at the Sales Prevention team meeting? :)

Some people, new to the forum, may not get your dry(?) sense of humor...

I’m enjoying it...  but I already have my plane...

Best regards,

-a-

People don’t like it, but it’s the truth, anything left out in the sun and weather won’t last as long, that’s why Farmers put their tractors and plows, combines etc in barns, and why people have garages, and all of those items are still being mass produced, with better and better ones made each year, and yet they are still protected.

Get close to the Ocean and corrosion becomes way more problematic.

‘We just came off of living for three years on a Sailboat cruising the Caribbean, corrosion is a constant, and UV radiation degrades everything, combine the two and the sum is greater. 

Realistically there are only X number of GA aircraft, I doubt think anyone believes that in the near future GA manufacturing is coming back. So all the aircraft there are, is pretty much going to be all there is. I see myself as my aircrafts caretaker, I don’t view it as disposable, something that I will throw away in ten years and get another, and throw it away too. I would have a different attitude if GA aircraft were like cars, still in mass production and better ones made each year, but every one that gets neglected is one less. I hate seeing aircraft tied down outside and rotting away, the supply won’t dry up in my lifetime, but it’s going to dry up, and ifI were still around, I’d miss it.

95% of my adult life has been aviation, by that I mean my Profession, and after Retirement, it’s still my hobby.

52 minutes ago, exM20K said:

This may work if the hangar is an airtight-ish building… at our SGI home, when we are not there, the thermostats are all set to 85*.  Once a week, all three drive the temp down to 70* and then reset to 85.  It’s said to be as good as holding a lower temp for wringing out the humidity.  We are recording levels to see if true.  Does use a lot less power.

-de

I don’t know what an SGI home is, but RH is of course relative humidity, take the same amount of water in the air and drop the temp and the RH goes up. So here in Central Fl it often varies from about 50% sometimes less in the middle of the day and high 80’s or 90’s at night, early morning. Of course that’s why the dew sets at night. The dehumidifier pulls at least 5 gls of water a day, I know because initially I had it draining into a 5 gl bucket, I emptied it at least twice a day so it didn’t get full.

‘But anyway with a closed up hanger and a few dollars spent on insulating the door and weather stripping the RH will stay pretty constant between 50% to 60% with a dehumidifier running, which is pretty much what my house does. But this time of year it’s getting pretty hot in there too, 90F mid day and maybe 80F at night, so I think a airconditioner will cool some and dehumidify. Besides I’d rather work on the airplane i much cooler temps, now I confine my work to the AM hours, and I’m really not a morning person.

‘The dehumidifier seems to cost about $30 a month to run, I figure the AC will cost about three times that and be run for four maybe five months a year, but it’s just a guess.

I’ll know more later.

2 ton mini splits with an SEER equal to or greater than 20 can be had for just over a grand, the refrigerant is in them so it’s a matter of pulling a hard vacuum and opening the refrigerant valves, you don’t need to hire a licensed installer, although I am licensed 

Next step will be to see what it cost to blow in insulation in the attic, does anyone know how much per sq ft it cost?

Edited by A64Pilot

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

People don’t like it, but it’s the truth, anything left out in the sun and weather won’t last as long, that’s why Farmers put their tractors and plows, combines etc in barns, and why people have garages, and all of those items are still being mass produced, with better and better ones made each year, and yet they are still protected.

Get close to the Ocean and corrosion becomes way more problematic.

‘We just came off of living for three years on a Sailboat cruising the Caribbean, corrosion is a constant, and UV radiation degrades everything, combine the two and the sum is greater. 

Realistically there are only X number of GA aircraft, I doubt think anyone believes that in the near future GA manufacturing is coming back. So all the aircraft there are, is pretty much going to be all there is. I see myself as my aircrafts caretaker 

Are you serious?

just because they aren’t making more Mooneys doesn’t mean nobody is building GA airplanes.  What it Does mean, when you look at at data, is that people buying a new airplane want a modern design with modern materials with modern safety items.

Recent incidents will reinforce the value of a newer modern design with parachute system.

07E1F390-8D8C-4753-A128-5DA52BD8F9E6.jpeg

Edited by chriscalandro
  • Haha 1

Yes I’m serious, look at how many of those are single engine pistons, then compare that number to how many were produced back in the 70’s and for kicks compare that to the population.

You can post your silly videos all you want to,but the fact is that about 100,000 GA aircraft were delivered between 1970 and 1980, and not many were biz jets. According to GAMA biz jets were over 90% of the revenue for 2019, so yes if your in the biz jet market. things are looking good.

So far as your silly assertion about a parachute, I’d rather have an aircraft that didn’t need one to pass Certification.  

‘So what Cirrus do you have?

Edited by A64Pilot

I’m not sure where you got that data from, but it appears to be nothing more than an uneducated guess, and is in no way anywhere close to even resembling anything accurate. 

If you think the parachute is silly, I’d be willing to bet you’re also one of the people that says we don’t need ADSB because you should be looking out the window instead of electronics. 

what I’m saying is, the more you respond, the less sense you make, the bigger fool you resemble. 

5 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

take the same amount of water in the air and drop the temp and the RH goes up.

That’s not how air conditioning works. The indoor evaporator coil condenses water vapor (humidity) out of the inside air.  What you describe is why swamp coolers suck as air conditioners, as opposed to something like the b-kool.

1 hour ago, exM20K said:

That’s not how air conditioning works. The indoor evaporator coil condenses water vapor (humidity) out of the inside air.  What you describe is why swamp coolers suck as air conditioners, as opposed to something like the b-kool.

your misunderstanding what I’m saying.

‘I’m saying as the temperature drops i’m late afternoon, the RH increases. Drop the temp enough and the temp and dew point coincide and dew forms.

3 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

I’m not sure where you got that data from, but it appears to be nothing more than an uneducated guess, and is in no way anywhere close to even resembling anything accurate. 

If you think the parachute is silly, I’d be willing to bet you’re also one of the people that says we don’t need ADSB because you should be looking out the window instead of electronics. 

what I’m saying is, the more you respond, the less sense you make, the bigger fool you resemble. 

Really? ever heard of GAMA?

This link http://www.fi-aeroweb.com/General-Aviation.html

And or keep you from having to read here is a screen shot.

3% dude, that’s it, next you’ll say GAMA doesn’t know what they are talking about because it doesn’t fit what you want to hear.

As I said the future is bright if your in the biz jet business

6D2A950A-4335-40D0-98C2-012BD93B50D3.png

Edited by A64Pilot