Old pilot new ppl - any hope for insurance?

I would say find a way to pay cash for the airplane and maybe only get liability.

‘I would say the cost to a new pilot for a complex airplane woud be high, add in that your 75 and I would think it would be crazy high, probably way higher than what the average C model is worth, so don’t insure it.

49 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I would say find a way to pay cash for the airplane and maybe only get liability.

‘I would say the cost to a new pilot for a complex airplane woud be high, add in that your 75 and I would think it would be crazy high, probably way higher than what the average C model is worth, so don’t insure it.

I’m concerned I may have to do that.  Either way I want to find someone in or near South Carolina who can provide some training and an endorsement.

3 hours ago, Stevenpkimball said:

I’m concerned I may have to do that.  Either way I want to find someone in or near South Carolina who can provide some training and an endorsement.

It’s not so bad, second mortgage on your house or whatever, probably get a lower interest rate than you would for an aircraft loan too.

‘Mooney is the first airplane I’m insuring, the others were fixed gear. But your going to need quite a bit of dual I believe, not for FAA but for insurence 

Edited by A64Pilot

19 hours ago, Stevenpkimball said:

I'm doing that right now. Not a new Pilot (was not flying for 20 yrs though) and for my M20C, had to go that route. I also had an off field landing with a CFI last year that forced me to go this way. Insurance market is tight right now...

-Don

Welcome aboard Steven!

No time like the present to get those wings.

Insurance is always a surprise...  Parker does a great job of minimizing surprises...

As a new pilot... insurance costs more...

As a VFR pilot... insurance costs more...

As a retractable pilot...

Hey...   there is a fixed gear Mooney listed for sale around here...   not sure if it is for sale or not still.

First steps...  work on getting the medical that lets you fly...  Class III or basic med...

Come back every day...

Ask more questions...

Make progress every day...

We have a couple of FOs around here...   Flying Octogenarians...

We know of one Mooniac that just flew his Mooney on his 100th birthday.  His video is posted around here.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevenpkimball said:

I’m 75, and finally close to getting my PPL.  I’d really like an M20C as my first (and forever) plane.  Do I have any hope of getting insurance a decent M20?

It's possible to get covered, but not guaranteed.  I'm happy to give some advice to get you going in the right place.  Feel free to message me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stevenpkimball said:

I’m 75, and finally close to getting my PPL.  I’d really like an M20C as my first (and forever) plane.  Do I have any hope of getting insurance a decent M20?

I admire you...........go man, go!!   I wish you success with your efforts toward the PPL and in your pursuit of an awesome airplane............a Mooney!  Please keep us all in the loop on your progress with such.  :)

3 hours ago, hammdo said:

I'm doing that right now. Not a new Pilot (was not flying for 20 hrs though) and for my M20C, had to go that route. I also had an off field landing with a CFI last year that forced me to go this way. Insurance market is tight right now...

-Don

I go 20 hours without flying almost every day :D

9 hours ago, Stevenpkimball said:

Good for you. Same situation some what, life delayed me as well and I am finally getting my ppl hopefully before the fall.