Do I fit

hot2fly

16 hours ago, hot2fly said:

I do like to stretch my legs out in the sports car fashion.  The Lambo and Ferrari are out side on my tax bracket but I do fit in a MGB or My Mercedes SL.  It sound like I can make it work as I don't mind bumping shoulder with my girl. LOL.   My first airplane is looking like it will be a Mooney, hopefully it will not drain my bank account. 0-:   

I was a fan of the Aero Commander 112TC or the 114. I worked for the dealer when they came out, but the performance doesn't look that great compared to other aircraft.

Friday night after work I will find out how well I fit.  I wanted to fly up and take a look at it but at 107 degrees in the desert the two hour drive is the better choice.

Thank you for your replies. 

Good friend of mine did the Certification test flights of the 112, it and the 114 have large spacious cabins, and that cost them in cruise, there was actually a 111 that was a fixed gear 112 that supposedly did pretty well, but they chose not to build it.

One of Ralph’s test flights in the 112 that didn’t go so well, nothing like having the aircraft disintegrate around you.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/2731

Now a Meyers 200D is a different animal, but they are old and few and far in between.

A Mooney is tight, it’s leg room width that’s cramped for me as the nose gear well is there, but what shocked me is the a Bonanza has no more room, you sit higher, but it’s just as cramped for shoulder room as a Mooney.

A Mooney is difficult getting in and out of, as I’m older and knees are gone with arthritis, there is no way to do it gracefully, you climb in and out of a Mooney.

You need to sit in it before you spend any money. 

you might not fit comfortably.

there have been several recently that asked that question and were promptly chased off when the answer wasn’t what the collective wanted. 

I haven’t read the whole thread but I would bet 100$ someone mentioned “al Mooney was (x) feet tall”. While true, he wasn’t 250lbs and legend has it he actually meant to make the cabin bigger but the build started on old drawings. 

so to recap, go sit in one. If you don’t fit and you report that information back here, expect to be attacked and told you’re wrong. 

theres a guy at my field that’s a skinny 6ft4 and watching him get into my C is fun to watch. 

Edited by chriscalandro

I'm 6'2"  and 240lb.  I fly a 1981 231 and find it very spacious.  I also fly a 1995 Bonanza A36 when I fly more than 3 pax.  I'm so spoiled with the fact that I can straighten my legs in the Mooney that I get uncomfortable in the Bonnie after an hour.  Also in the Bonanza my headset is against the roof, in the Mooney I can fit my fist between the headset and roof.  

Photo below is me catching up on some work on a 4hour leg.  (The co-Pilot is obviously monitoring while the Auto-Pilot is flying)

IMG_4314.jpg

• Like 2

There are things that are acceptable to mention in a crowded room...

And some things that are best for BT...

Complaining about what somebody else might say... makes the complainer look bad...  :)

So....  there are great examples here of many real people that have given their personal details... that fly their Mooneys comfortably...

PP thoughts only, Nothing better than a Mooney...  :)

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-