2?'s -. OH engine with 1850Hrs with Top OH 600 Hours ago. Pre-Buy Shop

SalMCFI

Have my eye on an Ovation that had a FRM 1850HRs ago, with TOP OH about 600 ago.   

Just don't know enough to know if this give me more time.  I know that we can go past TBO, but does a TOP OH generally help.  Compressions are really good, but I know there's more then that?

Also, anyone know any good shops in the Lafayette, LA, Baton Rough area for a pre-buy?  

Thanks, 

SM

2 hours ago, SalMCFI said:

Have my eye on an Ovation that had a FRM 1850HRs ago, with TOP OH about 600 ago.   

Just don't know enough to know if this give me more time.  I know that we can go past TBO, but does a TOP OH generally help.  Compressions are really good, but I know there's more then that?

Also, anyone know any good shops in the Lafayette, LA, Baton Rough area for a pre-buy?  

Thanks, 

SM

You also have to mention how long ago the overhaul was done. If the engine is high time and old, it needs an overhaul more badly than high time but recently overhauled.

Overhaul should be based on its condition.  Clean oil filter examinations, good oil analysis, good compressions and normal oil usage.

All external accessories can be easily removed and overhauled without touching the core engine.

Clarence

What you really need to understand is any plane you buy is potentially thirty seconds from a overhaul.  Great compressions the case cracks, great compressions it eats a valve, great compressions it busts a cam, and the list goes on.  

All a compression or leak test does is tell you it works today, not that it is good for tomorrow.  People put way too much stock in them.  

Do not buy an airplane unless you are prepared to redo the engine (along with a lot of other stuff, let’s talk corrosion) at a moments notice.  There are certainly ways to minimize the risk of purchase but no guarantees.  

It is a really expensive hobby make sure it is how you want dispose of a lot of money every year before you get on the bandwagon.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SalMCFI said:

It was Top OH'd in 2010, so 11 years ago.  

M20F - Mike thanks.  I've owned a 201J and two Cirrus'sss... :) 

I get the financial and risk, but in this case, trying to mitigate as much as possible.

Personally, at 1850 hours total (original engine?) and top 11 years ago, I’d try to work a deal that prices it pretty much run out.  Check the basics on prebuy and oil analysis.  If it gives you another 400 hours, feel good about it.  Unfortunately it’s a sellers market, so maybe the seller won’t like that plan?

There are two ways to run an IO550...

1) Conservative, LOP, leads to long lasting cylinders...

2) Flaming dragon mode, high speed, can use a set of cylinders at the halfway point...

Both are acceptable and safe...

Work on your negotiating skills...

There are more buyers than sellers this flying season...

Best regards,

-a-

It’s run out, you may get more time out of it and may not, so price it as if it needs a overhaul now. Having a top about half life is pretty common for a Conti, I wouldn’t consider it a plus in my opinion as it’s average.

‘My experience is that an overhaul at TBO is less expensive than one if you wait until it’s making metal etc. 

‘My opinion is if you run one until it’s dead, it may be best to replace it with an overhaul / exchange motor usually a factory reman or zero time motor, they also add value on sale day. I’ve seen overhaul costs with a motor with a worn beyond limits crank etc exceed the cost of a factory zero time, that is what I mean  by may be better 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 8:50 AM, A64Pilot said:

It’s run out, you may get more time out of it and may not, so price it as if it needs a overhaul now. Having a top about half life is pretty common for a Conti, I wouldn’t consider it a plus in my opinion as it’s average.

‘My experience is that an overhaul at TBO is less expensive than one if you wait until it’s making metal etc. 

‘My opinion is if you run one until it’s dead, it may be best to replace it with an overhaul / exchange motor usually a factory reman or zero time motor, they also add value on sale day. I’ve seen overhaul costs with a motor with a worn beyond limits crank etc exceed the cost of a factory zero time, that is what I mean  by may be better 

The last paragraph is spot on and if the engine has been done once before usually you know what the status is on the crank.  A buddy of mine just did a Senneca engine and went the factory route solely because we knew the crank wouldn’t make it.  Was cheaper the sourcing a crank plus whatever.