Dallas <-> Longview travel options

danad

I’ve got some upcoming maintenance in Longview, friends in Dallas, and live nowhere near either of them. With the car rental market being spicy hot, what are other good options for getting between the two? Looks like Amtrak serves both, but I am guessing it’s ride sharing at both ends. 

3 hours ago, McMooney said:

I'd take AMTRAK just to say i did it

I almost did it from Phoenix to Longview to pick up my airplane, but it was a few days rather than a few hours, so I punted and went in the meat tube instead. 

43 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Pro tip when all the rental cars are gone.   Uhaul or other type truck Rental.

second pro tip, they try to charge you $300 to return a car in Longview if you had booked it as a round trip rather than a one way.

Still “a couple weeks out” but once I’ve got dates locked, I will send some DMs for the folks that offered - and definitely will share costs if the schedule works. Always cool to learn different flying techniques and more about Mooney flying in particular. 

Dallas area is West Village according to Apple Maps, or just north of downtown. 

And sounds like Amtrak and AA are viable options, schedule permitting too.

Just now, danad said:

Still “a couple weeks out” but once I’ve got dates locked, I will send some DMs for the folks that offered - and definitely will share costs if the schedule works. Always cool to learn different flying techniques and more about Mooney flying in particular. 

Dallas area is West Village according to Apple Maps, or just north of downtown. 

And sounds like Amtrak and AA are viable options, schedule permitting too.

I live very close to there.  Also will be dropping off another friend for his annual near end of June so if it's the same day maybe you could hitch a ride

1 hour ago, Davidv said:

second pro tip, they try to charge you $300 to return a car in Longview if you had booked it as a round trip rather than a one way.

I cut a deal with Rashad in the Kilgore enterprise office to "waive" one way fees when I rented there, and the other way was usually covered otherwise. And now that I know you have moved to Dallas,,I know who to call :)

11 minutes ago, N9405V said:

I was able to get a one way rental with Avis in Longview last Thursday to Austin. They had a couple of cars that needed to go to bigger markets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, seems it’s the trip back to Longview that’s usually the issue.  None of the car companies want to send cars there.

This is for an autopilot install. I got the quote in March with an install date of mid-May. Just got the confirmation to bring it in the week of 4th of July, maybe a bit earlier.  I am guessing some parts issues and some illness’s have caused the delays. On the bonus(?) side, he was able to add in a wing tip repair at the same time as some one just taxied into my parked plane on Saturday. So the plane will only be down once this summer instead of twice.

09B0F78F-3B18-4D73-8BE7-698D6F37FF19.jpeg

• Sad 1