Windlace replacement for avionics panels forward of windshield.

Hmmm....

windlace is a decorative material used for the interior of the doors...

What are you asking about with the access panels?

3M makes a nice removable sealant in the automotive world that gets used with those access panels...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, corvar01 said:

Windlace 4655 is what the IPC calls for to use on those two avionic panels forward of the windshield. 

What year is the IPC, and do you want something a bit more modern?

Back to the original question...   what are you trying to do with the windlace?

If sealing rainwater out... people are using the 3M stuff that has been around for only about 20 years...

I see the foam windlace with that part number may describe a specific shape....

https://b-dco.com/4655-sponge-rubber-windlace-3-8/

Check with your mechanic... I think you will both agree that the 3M stuff is what you want...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks,

I am my mechanic (I'm an A&P for FedEx) and I am used to the IPC being the last word. Last time I checked (Just verified again to be certain) I have the latest and greatest IPC and Service Manual for my 1974 M20F based on the Mooney website. June of 1977 for the IPC and Oct of 1983 for the Service Manual. Not sure what else mechanics are using, as far as I can tell from the logbooks the seal is still from new (hard to believe, but if it was replaced and not documented no way to tell) What is the 3M sealant?

Mike 

15 hours ago, corvar01 said:

Thanks,

I am my mechanic (I'm an A&P for FedEx) and I am used to the IPC being the last word. Last time I checked (Just verified again to be certain) I have the latest and greatest IPC and Service Manual for my 1974 M20F based on the Mooney website. June of 1977 for the IPC and Oct of 1983 for the Service Manual. Not sure what else mechanics are using, as far as I can tell from the logbooks the seal is still from new (hard to believe, but if it was replaced and not documented no way to tell) What is the 3M sealant?

Mike 

Mike,

Documentation for our great birds changed in waves.... from the 60s to the 80s, and again in the 90s...

Yes, it is important to follow the documents...

Often, the government handbooks of aircraft maintenance are used to support the older MMs...

If the windlace works in that space... fantastic! Use it...

When I had those access panels decades ago... there wasn’t a windlace in that spot... and the material of that windlace are probably updated, yet using the same part number...

As a mechanic you get to decide the proper method to keep those important panels sealed...

With nothing in there... rain is pretty well shielded from entering...

Over the years... some parts may have been bent and may not be working as well...

Your expensive avionics need protection...

While you are considering all these details... look to see what you have blowing on the avionics... is it still an air line brought in from the outside?

Often, people use an avionics fan for that... again to keep water from being delivered to the expensive avionics...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-