fuel tanks, reseal or bladders

Did a search and didn't get  what I was looking for.

What is the best way to go, get them resealed of go with bladders.

Bladders look like you could get more usable fuel.....

Aircraft has been in a hangar out of annual for several years, right tank has fuel stains on the lower surface in two places mid tank.

Left has fuel stains on the inboard rib not visible from outside.

Old stains may not have been cleaned up after the tanks was re-sealed...

Clean old stains off, then fill the tanks... to see if they really leak...

See if there is any hint of maintenance on the fuel tanks... check the logs where this would be written down...

Pp thoughts only, not a mechanic...

A search of fuel bladder install... or Terry should find a lot of answers for you...

Getting extended fuel capacity using the Monroy method... has gotten more difficult lately...  but Mr. Monroy is still with us, and the interest continues to increase around here...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, apriav said:

Bladders look like you could get more usable fuel.....

Depends on which model you have. C-E have 52 gallon capacity, and bladders generally give 64 gallons (which is the capacity of F and J already). It is possible to add extended capacity beyond this, but it all comes down to which mldel you have compared to the STC package.

• Like 1

Dealers choice, I suppose. I guess a quality reseal would be desirable but the time delay factor seems to be significant. The good shops are booked well in advance. I did a patch job on mine that showed more seeping after a couple years. So I opted for bladders, 54 gal version in my “C”, which I managed to install in a couple of weeks. Not sure what the bladder Installer’s schedule would be. It’s nice to not smell fuel in the hangar and find as much gas in the tanks when I fly next as there was when I flew last.

Also where your based and how you fly. Probably more than 75% of my operations are off of grass, and while it’s not a rough runway, it’s not real smooth either.

‘So finding a airplane with ladders was high on my list. 

But both Ag Aircraft brands manufactured in the US, both have wet wings and not all Crop Dusters fly off of smooth pavement, and yet they survive, so maybe rough runways aren’t as bad as we think?

Do you intend for the airplane to be a beauty queen, or a workhorse?  If the former, you "must" do something because fuel stains are unsightly, and disconcerting to passengers.  If the latter, read the Mooney maintenance manual, and 43.13, and develop an understanding of what constitutes airworthiness with respect to fuel leaks.  The standard for airworthiness is not zero leaks.  Most/all of the Mooneys you see in your life with unsightly fuel stains on the wings are in fact airworthy, because the leaks are outboard of the belly, and the rate is small enough to not be a concern.  In the context of resurrecting a neglected airframe, it may be perfectly reasonable to postpone maintenance on fuel tank leaks until other issues are addressed.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

‘So finding a airplane with ladders was high on my list. 

My Executive comes with a sweet vacuum retractable step, for lesser Mooney’s I could see the need for a ladder. 

Picture are very helpful. I would be inclined to say patch it and then flush it a few timers and see what you get out of the tanks. A 10 Micron filter funnel makes the flushing way easier and lets you see exactly how much your contaminants you getting out of the tanks. I would also be very carful going forward and regularly (every 10 hours) check the screen in the fuel selector. If your filling up the screen with tank sealant I would consider something more drastic like a full strip and reseal or bladders. Last time I saw a quote, bladders installed are about 8K to 10K and strip and reseal can be 6K to 12K depending on who does it and what sealant you have in your tank currently.

While you have the tanks empty and are considering patching a few places check and see what style sumps you have.

SBM20-188A.pdf (mooney.com)

• Like 1