Tire valve stem woes, learning

Had my 76 C model about a year or so. Never liked the looks of the nose gear valve stem from when I first saw it. The stem leaned against the hub, and the side load on the stem just didn't seem right. I had to pull on it to get it away from the hub far enough to add air (sorry no before pics). Asked my mechanic to check on it at a recent annual-said it was okay. It's my first airplane and I've not even got 400 hours yet, so I didn't press the issue. I'm a noob here so what do I know. Blew the nose tire last week on a rather smooth landing. The stem was ripped clear of the tube (pics below). Moral of the story: its your airplane and your ass in the seat. Don't accept something you think is incorrect. The silver lining is, I learned how to change an airplane tube and tire, and now I have a lovely 90 degree valve stem that doesn't lean against the hub. Plus I met a wonderful airport manager who helped me out with getting the plane jacked up, tire mounted, etc. Can't thank him enough. You do meet the best people in aviation. I saw a similar thread earlier, but if you have a straight stem on your 5-5.00 nose gear tire, and it leans against the hub, my low-time PPL-only thoughts are to change it out unless you enjoy overnight shipping charges and tire changes in the Alabama sun. 

7CE4639F-D64D-4BA7-BB12-3180EEA59E15_1_201_a.jpeg

IMG_5034.jpg

• Like 3

Glad everything went well, Philip. Some of us do almost everything in the Alabama sun . . . . But based on experience, it's not that different from the N.C. sun. This is my second time in Alabama (seven years now! Wow!), following five times in N.C. (Cherry Point, Lejeune, Lejeune, Durham, Laurinburg).

Yell when you're back down this way again.

Great after pics Philip!

might want to add the word tire or tube to the title...

Because that valve stem woe...

Is probably nicer than the other valve stem kind of woe...

Engines have valve stems too...  :)

Interesting towing method...    how far was the tow... nearest available parking spot?

Best regards,

-a-

51 minutes ago, Hank said:

Glad everything went well, Philip. Some of us do almost everything in the Alabama sun . . . . But based on experience, it's not that different from the N.C. sun. This is my second time in Alabama (seven years now! Wow!), following five times in N.C. (Cherry Point, Lejeune, Lejeune, Durham, Laurinburg).

Yell when you're back down this way again.

Oh I grew up in Louisiana and lived in Alabama the 7 of the last 8 years. I'll be back there permanently this summer. Alabama sun is about my usual, but that don't mean it ain't hot. 

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Great after pics Philip!

might want to add the word tire or tube to the title...

Because that valve stem woe...

Is probably nicer than the other valve stem kind of woe...

Engines have valve stems too...  :)

Interesting towing method...    how far was the tow... nearest available parking spot?

Best regards,

-a-

Ah-more learning opportunities. Forgot about the other kind of valve stem. Now if I could only figure out how to edit post titles... The tow was about 3/4 the length of the runway, times 2 since I had to go back on the taxiway. It was a first for the flatbed driver in addition to the pilot. I tried to use the tow bar and a pickup truck, but that wasn't happening. Made me wonder, what does one usually do for a nosegear or main gear blowout on a runway? A busy runway? We were on the pavement for 2 hours and no one landed, but it could have been very different if this had happened at our destination airport of KNEW. 

31 minutes ago, Philip S said:

Ah-more learning opportunities. Forgot about the other kind of valve stem. Now if I could only figure out how to edit post titles... The tow was about 3/4 the length of the runway, times 2 since I had to go back on the taxiway. It was a first for the flatbed driver in addition to the pilot. I tried to use the tow bar and a pickup truck, but that wasn't happening. Made me wonder, what does one usually do for a nosegear or main gear blowout on a runway? A busy runway? We were on the pavement for 2 hours and no one landed, but it could have been very different if this had happened at our destination airport of KNEW. 

In my observation most airports/FBOs have figured out how to deal with it either with a special tow rig or a dolly or something.   It's not in their interest to have the runway blocked, and this is not an infrequent occurrence.   I've had to wait a few times for runways to be cleared for slow-tows due to flat tires or whatever.

Search for wheel dollies and jacking devices...

Many MSers use these things around the hangar...

An FBO often has a plan to help stranded planes get of their runway...

You did really well if you can re-use the tire and the rim... :)

Be on the look out for the type of tube that doesn’t slowly drain air over time...

They cost a bit more than lower cost ones...

Now for the title editing secret..

Go to where the title is...

As OP, you have secret access to YOUR title...

Near the title is three dots...  a sort of menu... click it.

find the edit button...

:)

-a-

• Philip S changed the title to Tire valve stem woes, learning
13 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Search for wheel dollies and jacking devices...

Many MSers use these things around the hangar...

An FBO often has a plan to help stranded planes get of their runway...

You did really well if you can re-use the tire and the rim... :)

Be on the look out for the type of tube that doesn’t slowly drain air over time...

They cost a bit more than lower cost ones...

Now for the title editing secret..

Go to where the title is...

As OP, you have secret access to YOUR title...

Near the title is three dots...  a sort of menu... click it.

find the edit button...

:)

-a-

Done! Thanks. It's a little different on mac, but you got me close enough. Also-the rim is fine, and the tire probably. But considering a new tire is about $100 that sucker ended up in the dumpster. Cheap insurance. Now I just need to figure out how to replace the mains myself. They look okay, but I'm not doing this again any time soon. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Philip S said:

Done! Thanks. It's a little different on mac, but you got me close enough. Also-the rim is fine, and the tire probably. But considering a new tire is about $100 that sucker ended up in the dumpster. Cheap insurance. Now I just need to figure out how to replace the mains myself. They look okay, but I'm not doing this again any time soon. 

Save one old tire. The sidewalls can be cut into handy pieces like muffler hangers, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philip S said:

Had my 76 C model about a year or so. Never liked the looks of the nose gear valve stem from when I first saw it. The stem leaned against the hub, and the side load on the stem just didn't seem right. I had to pull on it to get it away from the hub far enough to add air (sorry no before pics). Asked my mechanic to check on it at a recent annual-said it was okay. It's my first airplane and I've not even got 400 hours yet, so I didn't press the issue. I'm a noob here so what do I know. Blew the nose tire last week on a rather smooth landing. The stem was ripped clear of the tube (pics below). Moral of the story: its your airplane and your ass in the seat. Don't accept something you think is incorrect. The silver lining is, I learned how to change an airplane tube and tire, and now I have a lovely 90 degree valve stem that doesn't lean against the hub. Plus I met a wonderful airport manager who helped me out with getting the plane jacked up, tire mounted, etc. Can't thank him enough. You do meet the best people in aviation. I saw a similar thread earlier, but if you have a straight stem on your 5-5.00 nose gear tire, and it leans against the hub, my low-time PPL-only thoughts are to change it out unless you enjoy overnight shipping charges and tire changes in the Alabama sun. 

7CE4639F-D64D-4BA7-BB12-3180EEA59E15_1_201_a.jpeg

IMG_5034.jpg

Real nice looking airplane.

Glad you didn’t hit a bump with the flat and end up with a prop strike too!  Few hours in the Alabama sun is better than that!

I get regular calls from airport ops to removed airplanes with flat tire.  It’s often faster to go to the plane with a jack, tire, tube and tools and change it on the runway or taxiway than it is to put it on a dolly and tow it off.  Thankfully gear up landing are rare, more float plane gear ups than land planes.

Clarence