1964 POH Settings- Burn Rates Discrepancies

Josue

I have a 1964 M20E Super 21. The  POH that seems oldest, does not state the year on the cover page. 

I have another POH which  has a 1965 year on the cover (lower left). On the inside page it states, it is applicable to 1964 aircrafts ( by serial numbers) with exceptions on certain POH chapters.

The checklists appear to be the same however, the power setting tables contain a different consumption rates. The RPM/Manifold permutations have the same % of Power at all given MSL altitudes. However, the burn rate/ range are different.

Which POH do you recommend? I am inclined to use the one with higher fuel burn for fuel management purposes.

Thank you for your opinion.

The specific fuel consumption will vary with mixture strength. When ROP, the power varies somewhat with mixture, but the power setting tables generally don’t show that because the variation is less than 5%. The result is that you can get different fuel flows for the same combination of rpm and MAP depending on the mixture setting.

More accurate than depending on an old manual is measuring the actual fuel consumption over a number of flights at the power/mixture setting you prefer.

Skip

• Like 3

When in this same position... 20 years ago...

I spoke with a guy named Bill Wheat... at the Mooney factory...

He recommended a two pronged approach...

1) Get the proper paper work for the inevitable ramp check

2) Get the proper document that has the proper and most recent performance data in it...

For my 1965 M20C...  that was a ‘65 M20C owners manual...  and a 1977 M20C POH....

Technically the word POH appears on the document, but does not quite meet the requirements of POHs today...

These docs are available through Mooney. Often ordered through your favorite MSC...

If you don’t have a favorite... use mine... Lasar.... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1