Hamilton Standard Prop Governor - Manual/Settings

Googled for this, searched these forums, went through all the documents I have for my 65 M20c. A few years back, at annual an A&P decided the Prop RPM was too high, I was. New owner and just went with their recommend, they adjusted it lower and since then all I make on take off is about 2600rpm, sometimes a bit more or less and I get the same in flight. My plane has a Hamilton Standard Governor, model number 4KII-GOJ. If you have knowledge or access to a manual or the exacts on what you get per counter clockwise turn for rpm increase on the stop screw, it would be appreciated. 

If it's like a McCauley with a set screw stopping the prop control bellcrank to set the max rpm, you could use the McCauley method of backing out the set screw a couple of turns and then flying and setting the rpm at redline in cruise with the prop control.  Land without touching the prop control and then tighten the set screw until it just touches the control bellcrank.

Skip

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

Mine doesn’t quite turn 27 either and access to the prop governor has me living with the lower RPM.

You may want to consider validating your tach before setting RPM to it.

Completely agree, myself and my A&P flew it and he used both an optical device that read the rpm of the prop as well an app that uses sound to calculate RPM, both were very close to the rpm sensor of my JPI EDM 900

Edited by M20C_AV8R

My limited experience having owned 1978 and 1994 M20Js is that any part that is easy to access never needs replacement or adjustment. A&Ps are generally thrilled to supervise my work rather than do it themselves when they learn that it’s a Mooney. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Shouldn’t we start with installing the correct governor first?  Then adjust it correctly.

Clarence

If it's a rebranded Hartzell H-1 as Cody suggests -- which is on the TCDS -- would there be a basis for installation?

6 minutes ago, PT20J said:

If it's a rebranded Hartzell H-1 as Cody suggests -- which is on the TCDS -- would there be a basis for installation?

Wouldn’t it be up the the FISDO with jurisdiction for the OP to approve it?

Clarence 

19 hours ago, Cody Stallings said:

The Hamilton Std Governors you see nowadays are pretty well all rebranded H-1’s

as in Hartzell H-1.

Your adjustment screw should be a 10/32 Filister Head, an normally 1/2 turn Yields 50 RPM

I always thought the Hamilton Standard came first and Hartzell just built a licensed copy of it. I've seen that Hamilton Standard governor on planes from the 30s.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PT20J said:

I think I sent you guys mixed signals.

The Ham Standard Governor was on every round engine in the country. 
It was later purchased by Hartzell in some Fashion an labeled H-1

Im sure there is some paperwork in your logs or there is a data plate riveted to the mounting flange of the Governor that says it’s current Make an Model.

This is not uncommon with manufacturers.

There are several 2 blade MT composite props on Super Decathlon’s that have a McCauley C214 hub like a J model has.