Camguard Use in Turbo charged Lycomings

tls pilot

I don't use it, I don't think it is necessary.

That being said, the big problem with most additives is ash forming. When they decompose they leave deposits. The only thing different about the turbo is the bearing runs very hot. Hotter than any other place the oil goes. People talk about coking of oil in the turbo bearing. Any additive may exacerbate the coking by decomposing because of the high heat.

Just something to consider, I've never heard of this happening with Camgaurd.  

I use Camguard in my Bravo. I've only owned the airplane for about 300 hours of flight time since 2016, which is part of the driver to use Camguard. I've had no problems and change the oil every 25 hours or six months, which ever comes first. I'm religious about ensuring low power settings for the 5 minutes before engine shutdown to avoid the coking problem. Most of the time that cool down starts at the FAF or on final if VFR.

Cheers,
Rick

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Junkman said:

I'm religious about ensuring low power settings for the 5 minutes before engine shutdown to avoid the coking problem.

Is this the reason some turbo drivers let the engine idle for 5 mins before shutdown? I think it’s in the ROCKET poh.  I’ve heard some folks say it’s useless and others who swear by it.  Never have delved not the “why”.  I may be an adopter of the notion it’s an old wives tail if I had to sit idle on the Georgia asphalt for 5 minutes longer in the Summer. 

23 hours ago, 201Steve said:

Is this the reason some turbo drivers let the engine idle for 5 mins before shutdown? I think it’s in the ROCKET poh.  I’ve heard some folks say it’s useless and others who swear by it.  Never have delved not the “why”.  I may be an adopter of the notion it’s an old wives tail if I had to sit idle on the Georgia asphalt for 5 minutes longer in the Summer. 

Yea, I overstated that a little. Using the lowest possible power for the final portions of the approach/landing and taxi  gives me plenty of low power time before shut down and it usually exceeds 5 minutes. I don't idle in place before shut down to get more cooling time as it doesn't really work that way, as pointed out in another post. I'm really looking for a decent CHT drop of about 30 degrees before shut down.

As far as whether it matters, I believe it can't hurt so I do it. 

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

• 1 month later...