Pik-N-Pig at BQ1 Lost to fire

The well known $100 brisket joint Pik-N-Pig at BQ1 in Carthage, NC was lost to a fire over the Holiday weekend.  I've been in there once and it was indeed a great little destination. Nice 2500' strip where you can taxi up to and park in the grass in front of the restaurant.  A fair amount of radial engine noise for any airport at any time much less on a Wednesday.  Looks like the community is rallying to help push towards a rebuild.  I hope they do!

https://www.wral.com/community-donates-more-than-30k-to-pik-n-pig-after-devastating-fire/19706418/

Great place. Sad to hear about the damage and glad to hear plans to,rebuild. I was there 2 month as ago, flew in and about 15 planes were there for Sunday lunch. I even got some mud on the Mooney’s tires because parking was tight. Will for sure return for then grand reopening. 

BQ1 was my go-to place whenever I could round up a couple of my friends to do a group-fly. Quite honestly I've never really been too fanatic about their food (one does not out-BBQ the Texas Mesquite brisket) but the camaraderie and atmosphere will be greatly missed.

2 hours ago, Minivation said:

BQ1 was my go-to place whenever I could round up a couple of my friends to do a group-fly. Quite honestly I've never really been too fanatic about their food (one does not out-BBQ the Texas Mesquite brisket) but the camaraderie and atmosphere will be greatly missed.

I'll admit it was overrated at times but the overall experience can't (couldn't) be beat.  not sure if it was still open recently but you could also get a bucket of golf balls there as well.  1) fly in, 2) eat bbq, 3) hit golf balls, 4) look at planes, 5) go home.  not a bad day.

• Like 1

Just now, Hank said:

That's the one! I need to visit both, my inlaws live near KFAY.

I was there once.  the food was entirely underwhelming, but I can't judge the place on one time.  I'd like to head back there at some point and try it again but the pig was the place to be.  I don't recall stantons having outdoor seating but I could be wrong.  part of the pig experience is sitting outside and eating while you smell 100LL being burnt right in front of you.  and hearing all the kids 'oooh' and 'aahhh' at planes taking off and landing.  and having the bikers lined up on the fence rating your landing.  and watching the go-arounds.  and more go-arounds.  oh, and the chocolate pie.  mmmmmmm that pie, holy shyte....warmed up with some whipped cream on top..... 

• Like 2