Delivery Checklist: GI275s and GFC500

Searched but didn't find the exact search "Delivery AND Checklist". Looking to take delivery of my Bravo next week and to prevent bugging the shop after the fact, has anybody received a GI275 (AI/HSI/EIS) and GFC500 install at the same time? I would like to know somebody has a "delivery checklist" or "shakedown flight plan" in advance. Last time I did a significant install, I was led to the credit card machine and given the keys.

I am certainly familiar with the GFC500 and I can figure out the GI275s but I thought I would ask the group. I know Chris did a similar install of GI275s and Warren because he has been involved in the install and is still owed a few lunches and did a great GFC500 install. @Fly_M20R@Warren 

42 minutes ago, PilotX said:

Searched but didn't find the exact search "Delivery AND Checklist". Looking to take delivery of my Bravo next week and to prevent bugging the shop after the fact, has anybody received a GI275 (AI/HSI/EIS) and GFC500 install at the same time? I would like to know somebody has a "delivery checklist" or "shakedown flight plan" in advance. Last time I did a significant install, I was led to the credit card machine and given the keys.

I am certainly familiar with the GFC500 and I can figure out the GI275s but I thought I would ask the group. I know Chris did a similar install of GI275s and Warren because he has been involved in the install and is still owed a few lunches and did a great GFC500 install. @Fly_M20R@Warren 

Is your installer not going for a test flight with you upon delivery?

Short list of things to test/check (I literally just went through this yesterday with G5s and a GFC500)...

- Touch and check every single access panel, make sure the screws are there and tight.

- Make sure all flight controls are free and nothing is rubbing, this takes two people one moving the controls and another one walking around listening for anything abnormal or looking for flexing panels.

- Make sure your seats are properly installed with the cotter pins

- Feel the manual trim and make sure its free and moves correctly

- Flight director, make sure it works and displays correctly

- HDG mode test, left, right, as well as climbing and deciding in turns and level

- NAV mode, make sure the GPS turns before way points, add or remove waypoints and see if the airplane reacts correctly

- APR mode, test an ILS and a RNAV to minmuns

- TOGO if installed test both take off mode 7.5 degrees up and go around mode during one of the approaches

- VS mode, make sure it works correctly for a bugged alt

- ALT mode, make sure it holds the current alt when climbing or descending

- IAS mode, make sure it holds the correct airspeed

- LVL mode, put the plane into an awkward position both nose up and nose down and make sure it recovers to wings level

- VNAV mode, add some waypoints with cross over alts make sure it works (if you have a GNS series GPS this wont work)

- ESP, do steep turns make sure the roll servo nudges you back towards level, make sure over and under speed protection work

- During these tests periodically fail the HSI over to AI mode to make sure all data and values match exactly with the AI. Also do this on the ground and make sure things are exactly identical.

Also watch this:

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, PilotX said:

For very complex instrument panels... and new ownership...

It pays dividends to hire the proper PPI person...  I had DMax test the various boxes in flight on the way to the PPI... if anything wasn’t working properly, that was the time to get it fixed.

For getting yourself up to speed with all that power.... selecting the proper TTer also pays dividends... A Long body may be bigger and faster than your previous GA plane...

Essentially... a couple of hours by a person who knows what they are doing, is a whole lot better than being frustrated because it looks easier than it is... :)

dzel has pointed out how much testing is involved with stuff that you know works...

Add that to flying a plane that is new2u...  bring somebody with you...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or avionics guru...

Best regards,

-a-

59 minutes ago, dzeleski said:

Is there a shop that test flies them? Seems difficult to have local test pilots who can fly everything from a Mooney to a Cub to a Citation. 

-Robert

25 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Is there a shop that test flies them? Seems difficult to have local test pilots who can fly everything from a Mooney to a Cub to a Citation. 

-Robert

My installer went up with me for a test flight to make sure the AP performed correctly. I flew the plane, he just ran through all of the tests I explained above. I wouldnt expect them to test fly it alone, but going up with you for an hour doesnt seem too unreasonable to me.

The installer is supposed to fly with me. I only have about 30 hours in Bravos (100-150 hours with GFC500's) I am just prefer having a plan (think check ride - plan of action) before I fly. This sure beats two heads in the cockpit while flying along at Bravo speeds in congested airspace. So I will take any suggestions and formulate a ground and fly plan of action. I certainly don't want to form this plan in a vacuum or assume that I will think of everything, many MSers have had gotchas or special experiences after major installs.

65883804_ScreenShot2021-06-03at4_16_46PM.thumb.png.0ebcdc3819019d91e094a982f62f446e.png2127928526_ScreenShot2021-06-03at4_16_34PM.thumb.png.290e2b48ab4508def54f13931da5cd46.png

On 6/3/2021 at 4:33 PM, dzeleski said:

Short list of things to test/check (I literally just went through this yesterday with G5s and a GFC500)...

- Touch and check every single access panel, make sure the screws are there and tight.

- Make sure all flight controls are free and nothing is rubbing, this takes two people one moving the controls and another one walking around listening for anything abnormal or looking for flexing panels.

- Make sure your seats are properly installed with the cotter pins

- Feel the manual trim and make sure its free and moves correctly

- Flight director, make sure it works and displays correctly

- HDG mode test, left, right, as well as climbing and deciding in turns and level

- NAV mode, make sure the GPS turns before way points, add or remove waypoints and see if the airplane reacts correctly

- APR mode, test an ILS and a RNAV to minmuns

- TOGO if installed test both take off mode 7.5 degrees up and go around mode during one of the approaches

- VS mode, make sure it works correctly for a bugged alt

- ALT mode, make sure it holds the current alt when climbing or descending

- IAS mode, make sure it holds the correct airspeed

- LVL mode, put the plane into an awkward position both nose up and nose down and make sure it recovers to wings level

- VNAV mode, add some waypoints with cross over alts make sure it works (if you have a GNS series GPS this wont work)

- ESP, do steep turns make sure the roll servo nudges you back towards level, make sure over and under speed protection work

- During these tests periodically fail the HSI over to AI mode to make sure all data and values match exactly with the AI. Also do this on the ground and make sure things are exactly identical.

Also watch this:

Excellent suggestions!! 

Fully agree!!

The whole panel and plane will have been taken apart and therefore not only should you verify that the new instruments work appropriately but also make sure that all other systems work - controls, fuel, O2, intercom, etc. 

The wet compass may need recalibration. Check accuracy of magnetic heading on GI275 on either a compass rose or comparing it to the GPS track on your GPS navigator when taxiing slowly. 

Have fun!!

• Like 1